Review: Apple's new iPod nano is a 5G video iPod in a nano-thin shell

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post

What is though missing is a line-in and the possibility to record sounds.

The iPod has line-in on the dock connector. You need a third-party accessory (like this one, which has built-in microphones, but also a 3.5 mm jack for external inputs), but you can use the iPod to record.

Quote:

It would also be great if one could use the ipod classic as a generic harddisk with drag and drop capability without being forced to use only itunes.

You can do that. You have to use iTunes to get music onto the iPod to listen to, but for generic data uses, you just have to tick a box in iTunes' iPod preferences, and the iPod will then show up on your desktop (or "my computer" if you are using Windows), allowing drag-and drop of data to the iPod.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The iPod has line-in on the dock connector. You need a third-party accessory (like this one, which has built-in microphones, but also a 3.5 mm jack for external inputs), but you can use the iPod to record.

Wow, that's great, that way one can easily use the ipod as a voice-recorder. But one of the reviewers issued a warning not to use it for music-session-recordings as it would constantly skip. Nonetheless it's still great as it means that recording with the ipod is not far off, maybe Apple will work out a professional solution in the next generation.

Like already said it could sell very well with hobby-musicians if the capability and soundquality of the Sony Hi-Minidisc-recorder are matched or even outpaced.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You can do that. You have to use iTunes to get music onto the iPod to listen to, but for generic data uses, you just have to tick a box in iTunes' iPod preferences, and the iPod will then show up on your desktop (or "my computer" if you are using Windows), allowing drag-and drop of data to the iPod.

Sounds good, but I wished it would work for music as well, using any application that can handle musicfiles or just drag and drop.

That would also require that the files are saved using standard formats instead of the propiertary one that itunes generates.

It would also be nice to save music as wma.

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 63 of 68
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

That would also require that the files are saved using standard formats instead of the propiertary one that itunes generates.

AIFF, WAV, mp3 and AAC are all "standard" formats, not proprietary. AAC was developed and is licensed by the same body that licenses mp3 - the Motion Picture Experts Group. mp3 is part of the MPEG-1 standard, and AAC is part of the MPEG-4 standard.

The only proprietary codecs are Apple Lossless and "protected" AAC, which uses Apple's "Fairplay" DRM.

Since AAC is the best lossy codec out there, and mp3 is the only one that's ubiquitous, I don't know why you should care about this?
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Quote:

What is though missing is a line-in and the possibility to record sounds. It would be great if Apple chose to turn the next generation of ipod-classic into a sort of recording-unit with the same or better recording-quality and capabilities than Sony's hi-minidisc-recorders.

That would be great for hobby-musicians and would also jive with Garage-Band.

Nightcrawler

Here is a 4-channel mixer from Belkin that records directly to a 5G iPod:

http://www.belkin.com/tunestudio/

I don't know if it will work for the Classic but if they haven't changed the dock much it should.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    I have iPod nano (new model) which I brought from US. I want to know that if all of the warranties of that iPod which apply in US will also apply in India or not. like if something happens to that iPod, will I be able to send it back to apple for repair or not.

Sachin

QTP
  • Reply 66 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sachxn View Post

I have iPod nano (new model) which I brought from US. I want to know that if all of the warranties of that iPod which apply in US will also apply in India or not. like if something happens to that iPod, will I be able to send it back to apple for repair or not.

Sachin

QTP

If it was bought in the US, the US warrantee should apply, but I'm not sure about WHERE you would could take it to have that warrantee honored, if you are living in India.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You're saying that the viewing experience is better on a tiny display than on a large display?

I felt the review went a bit overboard on the whole video-iPods-have-disproven-the-naysayers thing. The iPod market share and available technology has simply made video playback a why-not feature.

Overall, people still aren't that interested in watching video on a minuscule screen. Compared to overall iPod usage, it is a seldom used feature. Well, other than the initial novelty of showing off what the gadget can do. Other than that, people pretty much return to using their iPods for audio.

Not that video support should be neglected. Only that it hasn't, and never will, be a heavily used feature. In my opinion, handheld video playback nay-sayers have been vindicated more than disproved.

• Reply 68 of 68
    hai guys i have the website for visiting new Cheap Ipods. it's so much exiting

click here for more details..,

Cheap Ipods