Asus aiming for tablet sales to eclipse netbooks in 2012

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If this is DOA then no other tablet has a chance of competing against the iPad.

what is so special about this clone? How is it different from all the other iPad clones?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

what is so special about this clone? How is it different from all the other iPad clones?

Detachable keyboard, maybe?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

AnandTech has an oay review on it. They were rushed to do it in 39 hours but from the HW perspective the display is opt notch. In several ways it not only is in the ballpark of the iPad's display, but bests it. This is where Asus has always had a strength.

I won't go into the aspects like slightly larger panel, slightly higher resolution and slightly higher PPI as those are all close enough even among the plethora of craplets.

I'm talking about the primary I/O, the display as a whole. It's IPS and has a special mode that lets you read better outdoor, though with the expense of using more power. SIPS+ is the outdoor reading mode.

It's just a great display.

The other HW is good, too, though the iPad 2 still kicks Tegra 3's butt pretty much across the board.
    But then consider that customers don't care about that aspect of CE so long as the SW on their system is flood and usable. This is something we won't know for sure until we se ICS demoed, but if it's good this tablet that comes in at $100 less than a comparable iPad with the same capacity could make some waves.

Regardless, if you are in the market for a 10" Android tablet the Transformer Prime is the way to.

PS: THis gives a little hope Apple create a dual UI layer by adding Aqua to iOS so you can put a collapsable keyboard/trackpad on an iPad (in landscape mode) to make it a inexpensive and fully functioning Mac-like notebook.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

AnandTech has an oay review on it. They were rushed to do it in 39 hours but from the HW perspective the display is opt notch. In several ways it not only is in the ballpark of the iPad's display, but bests it. This is where Asus has always had a strength.

I won't go into the aspects like slightly larger panel, slightly higher resolution and slightly higher PPI as those are all close enough even among the plethora of craplets.

I'm talking about the primary I/O, the display as a whole. It's IPS and has a special mode that lets you read better outdoor, though with the expense of using more power. SIPS+ is the outdoor reading mode.

It's just a great display.

The other HW is good, too, though the iPad 2 still kicks Tegra 3's butt pretty much across the board.
    But then consider that customers don't care about that aspect of CE so long as the SW on their system is flood and usable. This is something we won't know for sure until we se ICS demoed, but if it's good this tablet that comes in at $100 less than a comparable iPad with the same capacity could make some waves.

Regardless, if you are in the market for a 10" Android tablet the Transformer Prime is the way to.

PS: THis gives a little hope Apple create a dual UI layer by adding Aqua to iOS so you can put a collapsable keyboard/trackpad on an iPad (in landscape mode) to make it a inexpensive and fully functioning Mac-like notebook.

more meaningless comparisons. You can already use a keyboard with an Ipad, not sure why you would though, if you want laptop, buy a laptop. Nothing new here in the latest ASUS clone. Like I said...DOA
  • Reply 25 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

more meaningless comparisons. You can already use a keyboard with an Ipad, not sure why you would though, if you want laptop, buy a laptop. Nothing new here in the latest ASUS clone. Like I said...DOA

So despite being shown comparisons that directly affect the user experience and performance, as well as showing that Asus didn't cut corners to make a crap tablet the way Amazon did, yet still managed to best Apple's pricing by $100 across the board, your conclusion is that it's 1) crap, 2) it's a clone (no idea where you get that from), 3) it's DOA (yet you don't make a case to why this great device will be DOA), and 4) that all comparisons about technology and how they relate to the performance and UX are meaningless unless they are from an Apple product. You're not even close to sounding objective.

PS: Note the keyboard dock is portable, unlike Apple's keyboard dock which doesn't fold down. Also note this Asus accessory also has a trackpad, battery and USB ports. THis is not the same keyboard set Apple sells. The Transformer Prime+keyboard turns it into a laptop when needed.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

So despite being shown comparisons that directly affect the user experience and performance, as well as showing that Asus didn't cut corners to make a crap tablet the way Amazon did, yet still managed to best Apple's pricing by $100 across the board, your conclusion is that it's 1) crap, 2) it's a clone (no idea where you get that from), 3) it's DOA (yet you don't make a case to why this great device will be DOA), and 4) that all comparisons about technology and how they relate to the performance and UX are meaningless unless they are from an Apple product. You're not even close to sounding objective.

PS: Note the keyboard dock is portable, unlike Apple's keyboard dock which doesn't fold down. Also note this Asus accessory also has a trackpad, battery and USB ports. THis is not the same keyboard set Apple sells. The Transformer Prime+keyboard turns it into a laptop when needed.

You're talking to an iPhan; trying to convince him that there are good non-apple tablets is harder than trying to convince a fandroid that android has security issues.

According to the article, Asus shipped 1.8M tablets this year, and the fact that they had significant shortages for the first few months the transformer went on sale even though they pretty much didn't advertise it at all already shows that it's not DOA.

Sure, its not iPad numbers, but a far cry from a flop.

I think it will be interesting to see how the Prime sells. Its not too clear whether the original transformer sold well because of its actual technical merits or simply because it was priced $100 cheaper than the cheapest iPad.

With the Prime starting at the same price as the iPad (though with double the memory), it will have to sell on technical merits alone. It will be interesting to see if Asus can pull it off.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

At least until Samsung releases a Tab with S-pen. After that it's a choice between whether it's more important to be able to type fast, to be able to draw, or to be able to run iOS apps.

I'm hoping both iOS and Android would get proper support for user-defined keyboard layouts for external keyboard, like OS X and Windows have. Currently the only way to get a custom external layout on Android is to root the device and then modify some ungodly thing that isn't designed to be modified, and I doubt there's any way for iOS. This is seriously a dealbreaker for me, external keyboards are useless without a layout I can touch type on. So until the feature exists, external KB support might as well not be there.

I would really love to have an Air that is built in two parts like the Prime. But it wouldn't be easily marketed to creative baristas so Apple will never build something like that.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Well, since netbook sales are tanking since devices like the iPad have blatantly exposed them for the crap experience they provide, any sale vs. 0 will be a net win
  • Reply 29 of 29
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

I can see Apple bringing out a thin keyboard, perhaps even one with an extended battery, that allows for the iPad 3 to slide into a collapsable* dock.

No need for Apple to do that since, via the dock connector and/or bluetooth, a third party vendor can - and has - done it already.

Here's were consistent form factor and limited changes in models is critical to establishing a vibrant third party community.

Quote:

THe one think that is missing is the need for a landscape docking port but that wouldn't be too hard to add.

I used to think so, but with bluetooth is it really that necessary? It would make it nice for using the iPad as a digital picture frame but I'm not sure Apple would do it.