iPhone battery woes persist with Apple's first iOS 5.1 beta

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidiblackman View Post

all of these messages saying there are no issues with the battery in the 4S dont hold water with me. I had a 4S for one week, had a loss of 40 % PER HOUR, with just being on twitter. thats right, 2 1/2 hours of time. and yes, everything turned off - bluetooth, brightness, location, push and fetch mail, etc. yes, i tried re setting, everything that everyone talks about.

i returned the phone to the apple store. they gave me a new 4S. they advised to set up the phone as a new, not back up from cloud or itunes. they advised NOT to upgrade to 5.01 bug fix. they advised to load selective apps only. i did this exactly, ended up loading 30 or 80 apps i had on i tunes. i was hopeful. Not discernable difference. I lose 20-25% battery life PER HOUR still. obviously this is not a firmware issue, but an IOS issue.

I have posted on apple community support boards - along with over 6,000 others. APPLE is no where to be found, they do not reply, do not issue press releases, nothing. they are no where to be found. this is AWFUL. i am about to return the 4S and go back to my old 4 until a year from now when the 5 comes out.

with so many complaining, how can apple keep its head in the sand? how can they just ignore all of these problems?????

Well take it back and get a replacement, they work fine normally. Why would you even try to use an obviously damaged or faulty phone?

Mine was just on a cruise filming in HD, taking hundreds of HDR pictures and texting, phoning and being used as a book. The battery lasted all day each day. So cheer up you just have a lemon.
  • Reply 102 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well take it back and get a replacement, they work fine normally. Why would you even try to use an obviously damaged or faulty phone?

Mine was just on a cruise filming in HD, taking hundreds of HDR pictures and texting, phoning and being used as a book. The battery lasted all day each day. So cheer up you just have a lemon.

My theory is that it's a problem with the 4s under certain cell tower conditions. That's why some people see abnormal battery drain with multiple devices. They can install a clean OS, different apps, and still see problems because of the one factor that doesn't change -- location.
  • Reply 103 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Did you read the post? Lemon? This is my second 4s, do

both are lemons? Interesting because I have received

60 replies from all over the country on facebook with

the same problem and 20 DM on twitter saying

they have the same problem too. I guess also

the thousands of posts on Apple community

board are lemons too. We all just have lemons. Just

has to be china, huh? Apple IOS developers are

perfect and can do no wrong. Consumers

are just stupid, don't know how to use the

phones and we need to chill cause we all just

have lemons. Yeah, right. Let us know when

the space shuttle lands. I am genuinely being

sincere in my frustration here and the answer is

to chill out, there is no problem. Do a google search,

tens of thousand of posts in just the past

week about the issue. It's real, dude
  • Reply 104 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Did you read the post? Lemon? This is my second 4s, do

both are lemons? Interesting because I have received

60 replies from all over the country on facebook with

the same problem and 20 DM on twitter saying

they have the same problem too. I guess also

the thousands of posts on Apple community

board are lemons too. We all just have lemons. Just

has to be china, huh? Apple IOS developers are

perfect and can do no wrong. Consumers

are just stupid, don't know how to use the

phones and we need to chill cause we all just

have lemons. Yeah, right. Let us know when

the space shuttle lands. I am genuinely being

sincere in my frustration here and the answer is

to chill out, there is no problem. Do a google search,

tens of thousand of posts in just the past

week about the issue. It's real, dude

You do need to chill out. All your conclusions are the exact opposite of what is most likely. A "lemon" refers to a faulty product, not to customers being stupid. Yes, there are thousands of "lemons". This is CE not a Rolls Royce. It's possible that one of the many components in your devices isn't acting correctly. While unlikely it's still far from the impossibility you've made it out to be despite you being the one with the issues.

As tonton has stated the one thing that is going to remain fairly constant is their primary locations. You've excluded buggy firmware as being a potential issue despite that being something Apple has radically changed with each new version and beta. The Qualcomm's MDM66x0 chip in the 4S is new. No one but Apple is using it.
  • Reply 105 of 116
    Is there any difference observed in battery drain between US phones and European or other phones?
  • Reply 106 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You do need to chill out. All your conclusions are the exact opposite of what is most likely. A "lemon" refers to a faulty product, not to customers being stupid. Yes, there are thousands of "lemons". This is CE not a Rolls Royce. It's possible that one of the many components in your devices isn't acting correctly. While unlikely it's still far from the impossibility you've made it out to be despite you being the one with the issues.

As tonton has stated the one thing that is going to remain fairly constant is their primary locations. You've excluded buggy firmware as being a potential issue despite that being something Apple has radically changed with each new version and beta. The Qualcomm's MDM66x0 chip in the 4S is new. No one but Apple is using it.

OPEN LETTER TO TIM COOK POSTED TODAY ON THE NET

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3872/64/
  • Reply 107 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

OPEN LETTER TO TIM COOK POSTED TODAY ON THE NET

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3872/64/

Yes, some users are experienced horrendous battery life and Apple is working on it. That "open letter" is no defense of your previous comments.
  • Reply 108 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes, some users are experienced horrendous battery life and Apple is working on it. That "open letter" is no defense of your previous comments.

Lets consider the source. Without Apple, there is no AppleInsider. AppleInisder has a vested interest here, so I just consider the source.

Thank you
  • Reply 109 of 116
    Quote:

Lets consider the source. Without Apple, there is no AppleInsider. AppleInisder has a vested interest here, so I just consider the source.

Again, it's pointless.
  • Reply 110 of 116
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoPowers View Post

I have noticed a noticeable battery life increase when disabling Siri. When Siri is enabled, a small infrared LED light is always on when your screen is illuminated for the "raise to speak" feature. It's purpose is to notice when you raise your handset to your ear to speak to Siri without any button pressing.

For those with battery issues, I would suggest disabling Siri for a day or two and see if it helps.

I did that and no change.

These fixes of turn this off and that off is not something one should have to do just to get thru the day. I have battery life problems but I think Apple will get to the bottom of it. (I hope)
  • Reply 111 of 116
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'd suggest 3 steps. Each one is hopefully all you need to resolve the problem:

1. Reboot the phone.

2. Restore the phone using iTunes (make sure you have backed it up)

3. Make appointment at Apple Store Genius Bar and explain the issue (they may do the above or ask if you have tried the above steps)

Not sure what else to suggest, as I am using the iPhone 4 with 4.3.5 (and plan to keep it that way until Apple sorts it out). But try those steps and let us know if they help.

Been there, done that.

Local Apple store has looked into it. They say nothing is wrong that they can see.

AT&T Installed a new sim card. No help with battery life.
  • Reply 112 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

The few users who are complaining about battery life can simply go to an Apple store and get a replacement for the iPhone under warranty.

Nearly everyone else is NOT having battery problems on the iPhone.

Thus, this must be a HARDWARE defect in a few iPhones.

The solution is to simply get a new iPhone under warranty.

absolutely, completely totally disagree. this is NOT a hardware issue. this is very very definitely a software issue.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

absolutely, completely totally disagree. this is NOT a hardware issue. this is very very definitely a software issue.

Interesting thing, this battery issue.

I had an iPhone 4S - serial #C39 series. Had amazing battery life...until it was "accidentally" updated to iOS 5.0.1 from 5.0. Ugh. It dropped percentages per hour - standby or during usage, no matter. Apple store at Metrotown Mall in Burnaby, BC replaced it within minutes of my conversation with a genius. Got a replacement iPhone 4S the next day. It came installed with 5.0 - however, serial #C38 series. F**k. Battery drain crap standby or during usage.

Updated this iPhone 4S to iOS 5.0.1 (9A406) and the battery life became even better than my original iPhone 4S...better as in I can unplug my phone at 10pm...got to sleep..and wake up around 7am and still have a 100% charge.

During actual usage it seems to drain as per Apple's promised battery-life statements..but, during standby, the battery life on my current phone seem nearly nil. Yes, I have no push services turned on, etc.

imho - it's a software issue. But, I'm no engineer. My purely subjective experiences are not universally meaningful in any way.

edit: I'm so very confused. Is SolipsismX the same Solipsism who has been around here for years or?????
  • Reply 114 of 116
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

edit: I'm so very confused. Is SolipsismX the same Solipsism who has been around here for years or?????

Yup. He supposedly saw the light, traveled to the mountaintop, or whatever and created a new account while the old one got closed.
  • Reply 115 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is not a hardware defect. It is a software bug mainly affecting those people who restored from a previous iOS backup. Some were able to fix the problem by restoring and setting the iPhone as a new device. For me this is not a solution. I don't want to go through reconfiguring 50+ apps on my iPhone.

Another option is to use the "reset all settings" option then setup as new after the reboot. Run through the wizard. All apps and data will remain but the settings that seem to be screwing up battery after restoring from an older backup seem to get fixed. No restore is needed or should be done. No iTunes is needed. I am thinking the sync from itunes will put your apps back am I wrong? Not a restore but a sync.

Anyway If this does not work then I guess you have to decide if you can live with the less than desirable battery or can take some time to install the apps you need/want back on your new iPhone. (if the sync does not)
  • Reply 116 of 116
    Quote:

all of these messages saying there are no issues with the battery in the 4S dont hold water with me. I had a 4S for one week, had a loss of 40 % PER HOUR, with just being on twitter. thats right, 2 1/2 hours of time. and yes, everything turned off - bluetooth, brightness, location, push and fetch mail, etc. yes, i tried re setting, everything that everyone talks about.

i returned the phone to the apple store. they gave me a new 4S. they advised to set up the phone as a new, not back up from cloud or itunes. they advised NOT to upgrade to 5.01 bug fix. they advised to load selective apps only. i did this exactly, ended up loading 30 or 80 apps i had on i tunes. i was hopeful. Not discernable difference. I lose 20-25% battery life PER HOUR still. obviously this is not a firmware issue, but an IOS issue.

I have posted on apple community support boards - along with over 6,000 others. APPLE is no where to be found, they do not reply, do not issue press releases, nothing. they are no where to be found. this is AWFUL. i am about to return the 4S and go back to my old 4 until a year from now when the 5 comes out.

with so many complaining, how can apple keep its head in the sand? how can they just ignore all of these problems?????

Curious but is 80 apps "selective"? Perhaps you should try out of box then maybe 2 or 3 apps until you know if the actual hardware is ok. Just sayin.