What have you read recently?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    Heart of Darkness blech.

100 Years of Solitude has the best descriptions of orgasms ever. Plus the dude tied to the tree owns joo.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>I think I have most of the C&H collections. There are very few comic strips that are as well done as Calvin & Hobbes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah so do I. you're right, it is the best comic strip ever made. actually i was reading one those books in the summer

so many great strips but one of my favs is:

I'M SIGNIFICANT!...screamed the dust speck.

There's Treasure Everywhere, p30-2

i like sherman's lagoon too
  • Reply 43 of 59
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

Interesting, what parts did you find hokey? I'm not arguing against but i may agree with you. It has been over a year since I read it. I may have to peruse it. I agree though that Brian is not his father. Frank would immerse you so deeply into the plot that you could not put down the book until you finished it. But Brian does have his way...</strong><hr></blockquote>

several things spring to mind. firstly the political intrigue seemed rather obvious and one dimensional. much of it seemed forced and not as thought out as it could be to me. also, the whole ixian rebellion was rather lame and uninteresting as whole. really wanted more from that story arc. the whole no-ship plot got really hard to swallow, but my biggest beef was the development of duncan idaho, my favorite character of all the dune books. part of my reaction may have been influenced by the background stories told in the "dune encyclopedia" which i thought were much better and seemed more in sync with dune universe even if they weren't sanctioned completely by herbert.

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: running with scissors ]</p>
  • Reply 44 of 59
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:

<strong>

several things spring to mind. firstly the political intrigue seemed rather obvious and one dimensional. much of it seemed forced and not as thought out as it could be to me. also, the whole ixian rebellion was rather lame and uninteresting as whole. really wanted more from that story arc. the whole no-ship plot got really hard to swallow, but my biggest beef was the development of duncan idaho, my favorite character of all the dune books. part of my reaction may have been influenced by the background stories told in the "dune encyclopedia" which i thought were much better and seemed more in sync with dune universe even if they weren't sanctioned completely by herbert.

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: running with scissors ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I see your point about the ixian rebellion. He tried the classic once haughty now humble routine with the Princess and Prince Rhombar turned into a saviour when he was before a bumbling idiot.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night.

[Edit: Added a missing 'h'.]

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: Logan Cale ]</p>
  • Reply 46 of 59
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    just re-read a couple of my favs....

the killer inside me, jim thompson

a scanner darkly, philip k dick

fear and loathing in las vegas, hunter s thompson

next up is Dhalgren by samuel delany

lolita is a wonderful book

so is catcher...wrote a report on it in 8th grade, but understood it better when i re-read it in high school

any vonnegut is good...though an easy and timely read is Jailbird... g
  • Reply 47 of 59
    I just read Lystrata, Lanval, and Lancelot. Not exactly "books" as in novels but "books" as in they are "books" themselves.

Just Kiddin', Grover
  • Reply 48 of 59
    I read the book of Proverbs (in the Bible) yesterday ... amazing, that that was written almost 3000 years ago, and people still haven't figured it out. ?

Regardless of your views on religion, it's hard to argue with any of the "Proverbs", yet people still try to cheat, steal and lie their way to their goals. (assuming they have a goal to begin with).

"... the borrower is slave to the lender"
  • Reply 49 of 59
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by burningwheel:

<strong>

yeah so do I. you're right, it is the best comic strip ever made.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did you ever read Bloom County?

Lately I've been reading DYLAN DOG.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Just finished Moby Dick for the fourth or fifth time.

xionjaI love Achebe. He has a unique way of writing: telling you only what is absolutely essential. I have the Yeats poem thumbtacked to my wall right now. And I agree: Catcher is a good book: not a great book, but quite a piece for its time, and still manages to speak, though it seems not to Matsu.

groverat:If you liked Lolita, wait until you get ahold of Laughter in the Dark,.[/i] I think "Laughter" is my favorite by Nabokov, but I just finished Ada, or Ardor this summer which might have taken its place. If you think Lolita is racy and taboo, wait until you read Ada. It is interesting that two of the most influential writers in English of the last century, Nabokov and Conrad, were writing in their second language (they were Russian and Polish, respectively). And Garcia Marquez, can't beat him with a stick: flat out incredible. If you liked 100 Years you might try (when you have time, and want to stray from the beaten path) Independent People, by Halldor Laxness, an Icelandic writer (the current translation is absolutely brilliant). He won the Nobel Prize in the 50's, and I think that is one of the best books of the century as well.

Currently reading 3 or 4 books:

The Artist of the Missing by Paul LaFarge

Paradise Reclaimed by Halldor Laxness

Redburn by Herman Melville

Working Space by Frank Stella

Hope turning and turning in the widening gyre....

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 51 of 59
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>

Also recently:

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey!, my dad teachs both of those at the college HWS, i'm gonna sorta take his hearts of darkness class next year! good books from what he says, though i have not read them myself.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Calvin and Hobbes is the best cartoon ever written so far. methinks i have most of the collections, used to read them over and over again. lately my favorite comics have been doonsbury and boondocks. huey of timid deer lane....hehe. now reading:

Tom Robbins, Another roadside attraction.

just read:

Brave New world by aldous hicksley

and what about the darwin awards books?, very high quality stuff there

<a href="http://www.darwinawards.com"; target="_blank">www.darwinawards.com</a>

[ 11-01-2002: Message edited by: xionja ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 59
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Just picked up Serendipities; Language and Lunacy by Umberto Eco. Read a couple pages at the book store and could not put it down. Despite it being only ~120 pages, the reading is not so light.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    I loathed Catcher in the Rye. A friend of mine went on and on about it and I didn't see the attraction.

Moby Dick for the 4th or 5th time?!! I couldn't finish it the first time. I've read War and Peace but could not get through Moby Dick.

The last thing I read (that I wasn't paid to read) was The History of Ireland.

Currently I am reading The Hobbit to my children. I was going to read them the Fellowship of the Ring (which I have read a bajillion times), but decided they wouldn't get it yet.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    already read

The Hobbit by Tolkien

The Immense Journey by loren Eiseley

Stranger in a strange land

One flew over the cuckoo's nest

steppenwolfe by herman hesse

Working on

A canticle for lebiowitz

and the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
  • Reply 56 of 59
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Just read Eva Moves the Furniture by Margot Livesy. Not great, but definitely worth the week or so it took me to read it. It's a fast read so you should pick it up if you've got time.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Moby Dick is a great one