Moving to AT&T with Questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am on T-Mobile currently. I want to move to AT&T to get the 4S. If I sign up for a two line family plan with only one new phone 1) does AT&T give me a SIM for the second line, and 2) will the SIM work in an unlocked iPhone that currently is being used on T-Mobile? I don't want data on the second line.

Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Not sure if they give you a second SIM, but I would imagine they do if you're just signing up for said plan.

The SIM will work in an unlocked iPhone. It's unlocked, after all!

But as for no data? Too bad. If it's an iPhone (not a first-gen), you have to have data with it. That second line will get slapped with a data plan faster than you can say, "Hey, I, uh… don't think that's legal for you to force me to have a data plan on a phone I already own…"
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not sure if they give you a second SIM, but I would imagine they do if you're just signing up for said plan.

The SIM will work in an unlocked iPhone. It's unlocked, after all!

But as for no data? Too bad. If it's an iPhone (not a first-gen), you have to have data with it. That second line will get slapped with a data plan faster than you can say, "Hey, I, uh? don't think that's legal for you to force me to have a data plan on a phone I already own?"

LOL. I heard, but I do not know, that if you register the SIM with an old non iPhone you can avoid the data. I guess I was wondering if it were true.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

LOL. I heard, but I do not know, that if you register the SIM with an old non iPhone you can avoid the data. I guess I was wondering if it were true.

Nope. They see it on the network and add the plan without your knowledge or say-so. There's nothing you can do about it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. They see it on the network and add the plan without your knowledge or say-so. There's nothing you can do about it.

I was guessing that was the case, but some people seemed to suggest that if you originally activate the SIM with a non iPhone IMEI you could get away with it. Sounded to good to be true.