iPhone, Android dominate U.S. smartphone market with combined 82% share

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I know a few people with this phone since getting theirs they are on either the 2nd or 3rd one due to various problems they have had.

Samsung may have shipped/sold that many but how many have come back, you never see those numbers.

One of the people who is on their 3rd, told me when the second failed to turn on and they took it back and the store tech could not get it to turn on they gave them a new one. Well a few days later he gets a call and they are tell him they want him to bring back the 3rd replacement since the 2nd replacement began working again. They told they did nothing to it and is just turned on so it working again and they want him to take it back.

Your story could absolutely be true. There's lots of complaints about iPhone 4S battery issues and " no service" notifications or unexplained outages too. Some of those iPhone buyers have been given the same advice to return their phone for another. Some even claimed to be on their 2nd or 3rd exchange. In neither the Samsung or Apple cases would that be proof that the issues affect any significant percentage of buyers would it?

FWIW, Apple hasn't discussed how many 4S have been returned due to suspected device failure either, nor would I expect them to. Why report negative news?

Millions of sales of any device would be expected to include a few lemons.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The statement of the person to whom you responded is false. Apple iOS has 54% market share for mobile operating systems.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/mobile-market-share

Yet Apple wishes for tablets to be classified as computers. What to do, what to do? The second you do that you gain a small margin in the computer market share but lose a lot of ground in the mobile market share.

Btw, why are tablets and mobile phones lumped together, but not mp3 touch screens?
  • Reply 63 of 64
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neverclutch View Post

Yet Apple wishes for tablets to be classified as computers.

When have they actually said this?

Doesn't matter if they did, though. A fish won't become a mammal no matter how long you call it a moose.
    Quote:

What to do, what to do? The second you do that you gain a small margin in the computer market share but lose a lot of ground in the mobile market share.

Btw, why are tablets and mobile phones lumped together, but not mp3 touch screens?

Because those tablets and those mobile phones which are lumped together run the same software. Non-smartphones are treated separately and Windows7 tablets are PCs.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Your story could absolutely be true. There's lots of complaints about iPhone 4S battery issues and " no service" notifications or unexplained outages too. Some of those iPhone buyers have been given the same advice to return their phone for another. Some even claimed to be on their 2nd or 3rd exchange. In neither the Samsung or Apple cases would that be proof that the issues affect any significant percentage of buyers would it?

FWIW, Apple hasn't discussed how many 4S have been returned due to suspected device failure either, nor would I expect them to. Why report negative news?

Millions of sales of any device would be expected to include a few lemons.

Do not disagree, Apple could be having similar problem, however, Apple would not be getting huge Customer Sat Ratings if they did not have good quality products. Also look at their 10K and their warranty reserves, this is an indication of their expect warranty claims in the future which include replacing units. Apple is one of companies with a low warranty reserves. Samsung has a pretty large one. However, the problem with Samsung those reserves are for a number of their business not just phone or computers. It probably includes things like washers and driers as well.

However, my comment about the Samsung failure is relevant since I know far more people with Iphones and none of them had to return their iphones for any reason. I was just surprised that almost all the people I know who got the Galaxy end up having to return them for replacement.

The nice thing about apple if you have a problem with an Iphone you can alway contact apple and they will help resolve the issue with people well trained on the product. Not the case with other phone, many time you have to go back to where you bought it and deal with someone who may have not idea or limited experience with the phone thus making the experience worse.