Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months

Comments

• Reply 61 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Another publication (Engadget) clarifies that Mr Schmidt did not say the Google was planning to build a tablet. Instead he supposedly said in a translated reply ""in the next six months we plan to market a tablet of the highest quality."

As Engadget writes "he either means the company will be launching a "marketing" push with all of its hardware partners, or we'll be seeing Google-branded tablets like the Nexus range of phones by next Summer."

If the translation was right to begin with.
  • Reply 62 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It absolutely is for mobile devices, especially for music and apps. Obviously there is more competition on movies and television shows.

Ergo, by your own argument, it is not "the dominant content delibery ecosystem".
  • Reply 63 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Another publication (Engadget) clarifies that Mr Schmidt did not say the Google was planning to build a tablet. Instead he supposedly said in a translated reply ""in the next six months we plan to market a tablet of the highest quality."

As Engadget writes "he either means the company will be launching a "marketing" push with all of its hardware partners, or we'll be seeing Google-branded tablets like the Nexus range of phones by next Summer."

If it's Google-branded in any way then "release" is fine even if it's more of a marketing campaign.
  • Reply 64 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"translated reply"? What language did he answer in?
  • Reply 65 of 150
    (And ladies... not to offend...)

Nobody has commented on the code name for the voice system? Majel Barrett-Roddenberry... Gene Roddenberry's wife? The voice of TNG Enterprise's computer system? I am disappoint...
  • Reply 66 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

It's been a while since Android overtook the iPhone in market share. So how did that turn out?

It's funny though... HTC has recently slashed their Q4 earnings outlook... citing intense competition from the iPhone 4S. And Motorola and LG have had losses the past few quarters. Samsung is the only Android OEM that is doing remarkably well.

Google is the only company who could benefit from Android market share... and they actually make more money from ads on iOS.

So tell me... does Android really "own" the market?
  • Reply 67 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Schmidt's comments, in which he said the device will be "a tablet of the highest quality," came in an interview with Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera (via Slash Gear). The comments signal that Google plans to make another push to counter Apple's iPad.

So Schmidt clearly believes, as everyone else already knows, that the Android tablets released so far have been shit. Shocker.
  • Reply 68 of 150
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    A 'high quality' piece of crap tablet is still crap. Who is Google trying to fool???
  • Reply 69 of 150
    megamega Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Slappy, old buddy, old pal, you've been predicting the demise of Apple since you joined this forum. It hasn't quite worked out that way yet has it? Why?

Because he forgot the "Good Luck Toast"
  • Reply 70 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

While Apple and Google are competing in tablet OS, I'm curious to see how successful Microsoft Windows 8 will be when it's launched next year. Since it will be compatible with both tablets and PCs, and assuming it works well, I'm guessing it will take back some market share from the tablet market.

I've been saying the exact same thing for months. Not like I'm hoping for it, but in comparison to Google and their motives, Microsoft looks like the better Catch-22.

Speaking of motives and shady business: has anyone ventured over to Ars to read the story about Google giving out CMS interfaces to control take-downs on YouTube?

I was also quite shocked this past weekend when I found the time to catch up on the political front, that Google was a main sponsor for the Rep. debates on Fox. (?!?)

While I'm not a conspiracist... I am just plain skeptical of Google's business model: selling ads, demographics, and personal profiles and info. That is the only way they make money. I'm also not so enthused with some of their "bed partners" either(!)

On the other hand, you have Apple (hardware and eco-system), Amazon (eco-system), and MS (licensing and eco-system) where nothing really is "free". I can even live with a "Gillette" style of marketing a product. But giving access to my identity and everything I do, everyone I know, and having the ability to track me... if there's a "you can't refuse this" offer (or demand!) on the table, of which is a "possibility" with Google's "freebies"????

"Free" in my lifetime has always meant there were strings attached. What strings are gonna be "pulled", or even scarier, which ones "connected" to dubious business (political?) entities next?

I'd rather pay my fair share now, thank you. Something I still feel is still at the top of Apple's list: privacy. (Please don't some fool bring that sad argument about the tracking scandal last year!! )

If "events" start to happen, like massive unrest in the summer due to the finance industry caving in, or shortly before and during the conventions in Ami-Land... which many people think is inevitable... those "free" phones the tech-nerds are all carrying, makes them an easy target to say the least. A target for what I'm not going to conjecture, but a company that "must" sell things and keep their "business alliances" happy... is not going to be a friend to the masses.
  • Reply 71 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

It's funny though... HTC has recently slashed their Q4 earnings outlook... citing intense competition from the iPhone 4S. And Motorola and LG have had losses the past few quarters. Samsung is the only Android OEM that is doing remarkably well.

Zaky is forecasting an increase of 84% for the quarter mostly on iPhone sales.
  • Reply 72 of 150
    megamega Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

You can't "me too" in this market. You have to leap-frog the competition and innovate beyond what the competitor imagined. The other part is, you have to deliver on quality, usability, and functionality. Google has not been able to do that. The Xoom was supposed to do that and was DOA.

They are 6 months out and holding pending the release of the iPad3 so they can find out how much catching up they need to do. They need to leap far ahead or just admit they will run #2. If I were to ever buy one, it would need to cost half what and iPad costs. If paying that much, I would want the real thing.

Tom

Their real competitor is Kindle Fire who has crossed to the "Dark Side". Imagine their state when they copied someone else and then suddenly another company comes along takes their source rips it apart and builds an ecosystem around it. Goof-le keep the open thing going so that Amazon can make profit's out of it some day
  • Reply 73 of 150
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

So is the reverse inference that none of the current Android tablets are of the highest quality?

No. Logic does not dictate that conclusion.
  • Reply 74 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

"translated reply"? What language did he answer in?

I'm guessing in English, translated to Italian by the reporter for publication in Italy. It was then re-translated by someone other than the original reporter back to English for the basis of the article here.

Convoluted, I know.
  • Reply 75 of 150
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Ergo, by your own argument, it is not "the dominant content delibery ecosystem".

If you want to play games and argue over semantics, go ahead. I clarified my meaning. If that's not good enough for you, have at it, champ.
  • Reply 76 of 150
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    "Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months"

So that means they're going to start manufacturing iPads?
  • Reply 77 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mega View Post

Because he forgot the "Good Luck Toast"

Oh its that what I forgot to do? lol
  • Reply 78 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Samsung is the only Android OEM that is doing remarkably well.

"Remarkably well"? How so?

Funny that they never release their actual sales (not 'shipped', not 'gross sales', not 'activations' etc etc) numbers.
  • Reply 79 of 150
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lmac View Post

The other way to read his latest proclamation is that every Android tablet currently on the market is a piece of crap

Partial Quote:

That was my immediate take too.
  • Reply 80 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

Define "winning?" As I have said on many occasions, at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is profits and Apple has won that battle hands down.

And secondly, what's your basis for saying that he will own the tablet market?