RIM turned down multiple takeover bids despite financial woes

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Notice that I didn't say it about the CEOs.

It's very difficult to give up a company you've started and babied over the years, or decades, even when it's floundering. You still have the confidence you can right it. After all, you did build it up to where it is. The problems therefor can't possibly be of your making, and you WILL be able to fix them.

This is the mentality, and is why most founders get thrown out of a company after it reaches a certain size. They've done better than most, but now the problems have gotten too big.

I've had two companies, so I know the feeling. But we sold both when we felt it was time. You just have to let go.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlackintoshHD View Post

"Amazon was smart not to get involved. It would be cheaper to develop their own phones, the way they did with their Kindles. Using outside expertise, they've made their job easier, and still maintain control."

yeah. cause the Fire's razor sharp software engineering is something to be sought. <sarcasm>

the Fire's capabilities may as well be that of a TracFone with a mirror and a rubber weiner attached to it. the only people who like it are ladies.

Your sarcasm is noted, but the Fire seems to be selling very well, and Amazon has released a fix for some of the problems, which as for Apple's devices, appear to be mostly software related.

You're actually saying that it would be better for Amazon to buy RIM for $10 billion than to develop their own phone? Seriously?
  • Reply 63 of 73
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Thieves Make Off With 5,200 PlayBooks, RIM Confirms

A group of thieves made off with a truck carrying about 5,200 BlackBerry PlayBooks in Canada last week, Research in Motion confirmed Tuesday. The semi-trailer headed for Ontario reportedly was carrying merchandise with a retail value of between $1.7 million and $5 million.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397881,00.asp

Have at er boys!

BREAKING NEWS: According to unconfirmed reports, the missing truck carrying 5,200 Blackberry Playbooks has been located, apparently with vehicle and cargo intact. However, an iPad that the driver said he left on the seat of the cab is missing.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Should we start a collection?

Well, I was thinking of buying them myself when they get low enough, but sure, join the party!
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

RIM doesn't want to see all their hard engineering work go to Amazon? I now have respect for them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Well said.

Hard engineering they built from a blatantly stolen patent. RIM had 1 great idea and turns out it wasn't even theirs, thus now they are stuck without someone else's innovation to steal.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

They had their shot, they failed to change. They've done some great research, they don't want it getting in the hands of people who won't use it for any practical purpose.

I think you're giving them too much credit with that interpretation. I think the leaders of RIM are just too pigheaded to understand that they are toast.

Quote:

That's something to respect.

I don't respect blind stupidity. Little by little, bit by bit, RIM is headed for bankruptcy and a huge number of layoffs. Better they get something earlier than later, as their value just plummets.

Thompson
  • Reply 67 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I think you're giving them too much credit with that interpretation. I think the leaders of RIM are just too pigheaded to understand that they are toast.

I don't respect blind stupidity. Little by little, bit by bit, RIM is headed for bankruptcy and a huge number of layoffs. Better they get something earlier than later, as their value just plummets.

Thompson

Did Apple have massive layoffs? I would assume so but can't recall any.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    I'd be amazed if MS were not tempted. They already own the rest of the Enterprise messaging ecosystem with Exchange. Beef up ActiveSync security and merge into BES. Outsource the handset business (Nokia do a good line in cheap, competent handsets). Migrate the UI to WinPhone, big boost to customer base. And they have the cash.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    This sounds mean but even their corporate office (at least what's shown in this article)... looks old and dated.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:

Kudos to RIM for going down honorably.

Slowly sinking in your own quicksand of poo ain't too honourable, IMHO.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

FYI In Canada, milk is sold in plastic bags.

I had to Google it to see if you were pulling our legs. Holy crap that's messed up. I'm all for eco-packaging (and real "compostable" stuff, not "compostable when placed in a 1000deg oven for 10 days")... But this is just... unattractive, to say the least.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

I'd be amazed if MS were not tempted. They already own the rest of the Enterprise messaging ecosystem with Exchange. Beef up ActiveSync security and merge into BES. Outsource the handset business (Nokia do a good line in cheap, competent handsets). Migrate the UI to WinPhone, big boost to customer base. And they have the cash.

Interesting. And makes sense. I'm sure they have their eye on them. They're probably waiting for the right price/lost customer ratio.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

+1

of that total, $500 was the value of the playbooks.

the trucks worth more then the playbooks...ouch...