Apple unlikely to win ban on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1N in Germany

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You ridicule a member two posts up about trolling and yet, here you are??????? Not sure what is worse, poor math skills or hypocracy?

Everybody see what I mentioned about education and spelling? And that was from a different troll.

It's spelt 'hypocrisy'.

Your spelling, as Cartman would say, is very unhellacool.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Everybody see what I mentioned about education and spelling? And that was from a different troll.

It's spelt 'hypocrisy'.

Your spelling, as Cartman would say, is very unhellacool.

Adding a doesnt make your comments good. Glad you contributed to the thread, are you 10?
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:

You ridicule a member two posts up about trolling and yet, here you are??????? Not sure what is worse, poor math skills or hypocracy?

And he's not a member.

He's a troll who cares nothing about the products and services of Apple but spends vast amounts of time on an Apple forum.

He deserves to be ridiculed.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:

And he's not a member.

He's a troll who cares nothing about the products and services of Apple but spends vast amounts of time on an Apple forum.

He deserves to be ridiculed.

News flash, someone that does not agree with you is not a troll. Someone who only jumps into threads to ridicule someone and offer zero constructive comments is.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Quote:

Adding a doesnt make your comments good. Glad you contributed to the thread, are you 10?

I'm sorry, but you guys crack me up!

I mean seriously, get a life!
  • Reply 46 of 68
    The problem with being a dedicated Apple fan is that realty is a bit distorted for them. All I do is remind people that the real world out there looks at Apple as a small tiny player in the scheme of things. It's only by sheer luck and the return of Steve Jobs that barely saved them from oblivion. Sadly he is gone, and from the looks of things, 2012 will be a complete nightmare for Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

NO IT IS NOT A PATENT INFRINGEMENT LAWSUIT.

It is a community design infringement lawsuit. As such, it is all about the physical appearance of the device, and how similar it looks to the following set of three-dimensional line drawings:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/61944044/C...000181607-0001

The only Samsung had to do, was make sure the new revision of their device looked adequately different from that set of line drawings.

How do you define something being "adequately different"? In this judge's opinion, it is "adequately different" if a casual observer would not be confused by looking at one and then looking at the other. Honestly, that seems like a fairly reasonable definition to me.

Save it for a better fight. The amount of people who can't change their own oil is only surpassed by all the self-proclaimed patent experts who as you have shown don't even understand what they are talking about and never will.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Samsung $200M legal fund at work?
  • Reply 49 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

The problem with being a dedicated Apple fan is that realty is a bit distorted for them. All I do is remind people that the real world out there looks at Apple as a small tiny player in the scheme of things. It's only by sheer luck and the return of Steve Jobs that barely saved them from oblivion. Sadly he is gone, and from the looks of things, 2012 will be a complete nightmare for Apple.

Ah!

So that's the reason you tell yourself to justify all the time and effort you spend on something you hate. Thanks for the heads up.

And who said I was an Apple fan? I've worked in the PC industry for over ten years and used everything from almost every brand imaginable. I've even owned an original Google Nexus phone. However, I am an appreciator of all things 'fucking excellent' and am savvy enough to recognise this quality in many of Apple's products.

I'm very interested in knowing how YOU came to be familiar with the problems of being a dedicated Apple fan. I mean, it doesn't seem to be your forte, if you know what I mean...

And I would have thought that you'd be thankful for Apple's 'sheer luck' and the return of Steve Jobs. I mean, where would Samsung and Android be without them?

Now, if you don't mind, I have to pop off to the Ferrari forum to tell them how great taxis are, not to mention explain a few things about market share...
  • Reply 50 of 68
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Some of you are so petty....

There has to be a system for testing a design patent. Assuming validity, you must have some way of measuring infringement rather than just this feels similar to that.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Too bad that we can decide how well or bad Apple does by the end of 2012 but these trolls cannot be held accountable for whatever they are spewing right now. My guess is at the end of 2012, they will simply change their handles and come back with some new fantasy statistics.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So Samsung's market positioning is: "we're incompetent to come up with anything ourselves and the first version of the Tab was so nearly identical to the iPad that it was banned in several countries. Therefore, we stretched our innovation to the limit and were just barely able to come up with a device that can be distinguished from an iPad on close inspection."

Doesn't sound like much of a strategy.

Actually it was the second version, you forgot about the Galaxy Tab 10.1v, the one that mysteriously vanished as soon as the iPad 2 was revealed.

The 10.1n looks like it fails the black rectangle test, of "OMG, Apple patented the black rectangle!!!" fame.

It's a black rectangle that isn't banned, how 'bout that.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not really of any consequence, they won't be selling too many anyway. Of course sales figures will include channel stuffing but otherwise only Apple haters will be buying.

As I sell Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablets in Australia, I am left to ponder where all the people who are going to buy them are, judging by all the stuff on the Internet I would have thought they'd be lined up hammering on the door.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:

No, but it may make the post infringe EP1215867 if it was posted from an iPhone.

:-)
  • Reply 55 of 68
    If these minor changes were all that Samsung needed to do to differentiate their tablet from an iPad, one wonders why they didn't design them like this in the first place? There are hundreds of tablets out there that don't look like an iPad, so why did Samsung take the route they did to make theirs look very similar to the iPad?

From their product, to their packaging, to their accessories, it seems that in the mobile electronics world, Samsung tries harder to copy than they would if they designed on their own. It reminds me of the old joke about a politician: he would rather climb to to top of a tree and lie than stand still and tell the truth.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    The thing that bugs me is that there is a big SAMSUNG right on the front. I figured any intelligent human would be able to determine that it is not an Apple product and a super intelligent Apple buyer would have zero confusion.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:

Ah!

So that's the reason you tell yourself to justify all the time and effort you spend on something you hate. Thanks for the heads up.

And who said I was an Apple fan? I've worked in the PC industry for over ten years and used everything from almost every brand imaginable. I've even owned an original Google Nexus phone. However, I am an appreciator of all things 'fucking excellent' and am savvy enough to recognise this quality in many of Apple's products.

I'm very interested in knowing how YOU came to be familiar with the problems of being a dedicated Apple fan. I mean, it doesn't seem to be your forte, if you know what I mean...

And I would have thought that you'd be thankful for Apple's 'sheer luck' and the return of Steve Jobs. I mean, where would Samsung and Android be without them?

Now, if you don't mind, I have to pop off to the Ferrari forum to tell them how great taxis are, not to mention explain a few things about market share...

Do you speak to just hear yourself? Have you contributed ONE thread to this forum of value? Atleast Slappy, though crazy, contributes. Is he really that able to get under your skin? Seems so.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

If these minor changes were all that Samsung needed to do to differentiate their tablet from an iPad, one wonders why they didn't design them like this in the first place? There are hundreds of tablets out there that don't look like an iPad, so why did Samsung take the route they did to make theirs look very similar to the iPad?

From their product, to their packaging, to their accessories, it seems that in the mobile electronics world, Samsung tries harder to copy than they would if they designed on their own. It reminds me of the old joke about a politician: he would rather climb to to top of a tree and lie than stand still and tell the truth.

I think Samsung is lazy. They know they need to be in a certain market... so they just throw something together quickly without putting a lot of thought into it. It's probably easier to take cues from Apple than spend the time to make their own design.

Also... the iPad was announced on January 27, 2010.

Who wants to bet that the very first time Samsung even thought about making this new kind of tablet was January 28, 2010?

For once I'd like to see Samsung blaze the trail with a new class of product. Instead... everything they do seems like a response to Apple:

2 years after the iPhone... Samsung made their first Android phone

3 years after the iPod Touch... Samsung made the Galaxy Player

1 year after the iPad... here comes the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

* I almost forgot about the original 7" Galaxy Tab.... but even that was 8 months after the iPad announcement.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I think Samsung is lazy. They know they need to be in a certain market... so they just throw something together quickly without putting a lot of thought into it. It's probably easier to take cues from Apple than spend the time to make their own design.

Also... the iPad was announced on January 27, 2010.

Who wants to bet that the very first time Samsung even thought about making this new kind of tablet was January 28, 2010?

For once I'd like to see Samsung blaze the trail with a new class of product. Instead... everything they do seems like a response to Apple:

2 years after the iPhone... Samsung made their first Android phone

3 years after the iPod Touch... Samsung made the Galaxy Player

1 year after the iPad... here comes the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

* I almost forgot about the original 7" Galaxy Tab.... but even that was 8 months after the iPad announcement.

That'll never happen. It took years for Apple to create what it has now and Samsung isn't built like that. The best they can do is license and differentiate. Except they're not doing either in this case.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So that competitors can't market identical devices. There's nothing wrong in noting another company's success and emulating their product with one that's similar if you have the means to do so and you believe you can profit. Business has been done that way for hundreds of years. Too many here seem to feel copy, resemble, identical and similar all carry the same meaning and are interchangeable.

Semantics aside, when the attorneys defending the alleged imitator (who are ostensibly familiar enough with the products to formulate a credible defense) can't even differentiate between the two products at a mere 10 foot distance, you have wonder if maybe there might be some confusion to an average [uninformed] joe consumer wandering through his local electronics shop.