Apple suppliers will reportedly begin preparations for Apple television in Q1 2012

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 83
    I have a 32" Sony Google TV, it is pretty cool and does cool things but it could be so much more if Google would have secured the rights to things before producing it. If Apple can do it right, it could turn out to be a pretty nice product with unlimited capabilities when connected.



    I only purchased it because it was heavily discounted. Price is going to be a big factor here.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post


    what is not immediately clear (and never been so far) from all these rumours if it is actually a television with a tuner, that can broadcast over the air channels, just like all television sets do



    No way. It will not have a tuner. It will not have any wires connected to it except for the power cord. It will be like a big iPod Touch, but without a touch screen.



    There will be no need for any tuner, because all the content will be available to buy from Apple. It will be delivered by streaming over the ISP's bandwidth, and will be beamed to the TV over WIFI.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    That's a lot of inside baseball, so to speak...but I agree in principle. Apple might release a great product, but we'll see how successful it is. It will have to be much more than niche product like the AppleTV, which I assume Apple knows. It took my 3 years or so to finally get an AppleTV. That's because while it's cool, it's not necessary at all.



    I've been wondering about this "true Apple TV" rumor. It would have to be something much more than just a great HDTV with an Apple TV built in. You'd have to replace part of what the cable box does, or it's just not worth it. I'd say that minimum, it would need it's own DVR that interfaces with the cable box. I'd like to see it have a blu-ray player as well. The problem here is price. A decent 37" TV is maybe $500-700 right now. Then there is the budget big screen market, where you can get a 55" TV for a grand. After that you have the premium market, which runs into $2000-$500 range.

    We'll see.



    I think that the cable box has to disappear entirely. As well, if Apple isn't providing a blu-ray in any product and even eliminating optical drives, I doubt that there will be any optical hardware of any kind connected with this product.



    I don't think this is really about hardware. This is more about developing a delivering model that the content providers buy into. Without that, Apple has no reason to get into the TV business at a time when margins are downright horrible.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post








    So, I too am wondering what this could actually look like.












  • Reply 25 of 83
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,225member
    Note: Image source is borrowed from http://i.imgur.com/MGiSR.jpg



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post




    All of that sounds great... but if you still have to use the box below for most of your TV watching... what's the point?







    I am among the million of people that are slowly getting rid of cable all together. Apple does not target the 95% of the market but the 5% that does not fit in the "prescribed" group. They offer a premium product with a kick a$$ experience. But don't expect the same experience as the:



  • Reply 26 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post


    Has it occurred to anyone that Apple can deliver a major blow to Samsung by outcompeting it on its own turf?



    But it likely wouldn't be that major a blow because Apple would be getting components from Samsung, probably also licensing patented tech from Samsung so even if this alleged full tv is real and sells like crazy, Samsung would be making bank as well because without them the TV wouldn't exist.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    These sizes are way too small. It will be a disaster. They should consider 46", 55", and 65", at a minimum.



    However, I am quite confident that Apple is not stepping into this business without a lot of research.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post


    The device would need different tuners for each region.



    You assume it will include tuners. It might be more like a dummy display that happens to have the Apple TV 'set top box' tech built in. But for any thing else you need a cable box, a DVD, a DVR etc to attach to the other HDMI ports.



    Gets them around a ton of the licensing fees they might have to pay if they aren't including that stuff. And you could even just use it as a computer monitor with the right video cables/adapters
  • Reply 29 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple's supply chain will begin preparing materials for an Apple-branded television set in the first quarter of next year in advance of a second or third quarter launch, a new report out of the Far East claims. ...



    I find it hard to believe that this will happen this soon.



    What is especially suspicious is the size of the panels reported. a 32" flat-screentelevision is considered "small" or "cheap" nowadays.



    Apple is going to enter the TV market at the very bottom end?

    Since when have they ever done this?



    Top quality 42" televisions (the new "midrange"), can be had for a few hundred dollars. If Apple comes out with a TV it will be a premium product. It should be in the 1,000 dollar or so range and be at least 60" with built in surround sound, or some such equivalent.



    They will not come out with some tiny $200, 32" TV as their first TV product.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    I'd say that minimum, it would need it's own DVR that interfaces with the cable box.





    That is handled by iCloud and/.or a subscription from the iTunes store. No need for any physical storage in your living room anymore.













    Quote:

    I'd like to see it have a blu-ray player as well.





  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post


    what is not immediately clear (and never been so far) from all these rumours if it is actually a television with a tuner, that can broadcast over the air channels, just like all television sets do



    What a funny thing to say considering "over the air" broadcasting had it's heyday in the 1950's and 60's and is all but gone today.



    Do you think Apple's new TV set should have rabbit ears?
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post


    Note: Image source is borrowed from http://i.imgur.com/MGiSR.jpg







    I am among the million of people that are slowly getting rid of cable all together. Apple does not target the 95% of the market but the 5% that does not fit in the "prescribed" group. They offer a premium product with a kick a$$ experience. But don't expect the same experience as the:







    Not any more. Ever since the success of the iPod, Apple squarely targets the 95%.





    Apple is no longer a niche company for well-heeled geeks. Apple is the standard choice for the unwashed masses. No way in hell would they come out with a product that would only appeal to a small segment of consumers.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    37" is too small for a tv.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    If the rumor is correct on the sizes then IMHO these are destined for dorm rooms and bedrooms. I was hoping for 60" to 80" or even a paradigm changing new material you can have cut to fit your entire wall



    I completely agree. Not really useful to me at those sizes.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post


    The device would need different tuners for each region.



    More likely it will be launched just in the US.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    You just used a strawman argument on YOURSELF. Hilarious. Apple is not going to release something like that.



    You misunderstood him. He means that you'll still be stuck with something like that from your "provider."



    I don't know if that's true, but I do know that is one depressing design. Makes me glad I gave up television.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This rumour points to a midget TV. Who buys anything less than 40" these days for the living room?



    I still can't see the point of it unless they replace a few boxes and change the content delivery model. Siri is just not of a draw to spend more on a TV that won't reduce the complexity of the TV stand.



    I should think that there's more to this than the TV. The really money is in the whole home theatre setup. Here's where Apple could really apply its magic. I'm imagining a whole system which replaces everything in the living room. It's all wireless. You just position speakers (really only a separate sub-woofer, with all other speakers integrated into the panel) and TV and plug them into the power outlet. You plug in the coax and that's it. Use iPhone, iPad, iTouch and Siri to control the device. That would change everything. These days no point even wall mounting because I still have a cable box, Apple TV, DVD/BD player and home theatre gear to house. Some add a gaming system to that. Apple needs to do the TV what the iMac did to the desktop.



    That's the only way to justify Apple's premiums for a TV. I'd guess the pricing will be: $999, $1499, $1999, for the three sizes.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    37" is too small for a tv.



    no it's not



    you can squeeze more than enough pixels into that size
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post


    it's pretty clear who depends on who... Now, I wonder if Samsung has any design patents on rectangular TV designs. (just take it to the Dusseldorf court).



    Imagine Samsung to Apple: you can't make thin, black, rectangular TV's.



    Samsung is a parts supplier, that's what they do best. It is when they try to deliver a consumer product (like a smartphone or tablet) that they end up being nothing more than copycats.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    Well this latest rumor is the worst of all so far. I have absolutely no need for a TV less than 40 ". At the beginning of this year I was encouraged to think the way we watch TV was really begining it's transformation. As I watched Netflix get beat up and knocked down I have become less convinced that the content providers, are even remotely interested or ready in changing the business model. Just look at HBO To Go and you can see the Comcast's of the world are still running the show. It is my guess that when we see true ala cart programming from a single interface, be it Apple or whomever, then you can talk to me about an Apple TV. Until then I just don't really care to pay for a premium cost TV for the same old experience.
Sign In or Register to comment.