Hackers claim Siri port to iPhone 4 avoids copyright infringement

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think it is to Apple's benefit to get Siri on every capable Apple device ASAP... but consistent with an orderly rollout.

The iP4S only was, likely, made because there was limited availability of the 4S. I suspect that the next device that supports Siri will be the iPad 2... then iP4 and iPad 1.

I think this is was one of their main reasons for restricting it to the 4S, but I think they may have now decided to keep it as 4S and newer. Certainly restricting it to the 4S initially helped prevent a meltdown on the server side. I know, for Nuance, 4S launch day was their single largest (by a huge margin) day for requests. If the iPhone 4 and/or iPad 2 has been included at the same time, it is very possible they not have been able to scale well enough.

Quote:

At some point, Apple will have learned enough from the current implementation so they can do some/much of the work (of the current implementation) on the device itself without going to the servers except to handle exceptions and requests that require data or services not available on the device.

I don't think the server side will even be so reduced. There is a reason Nuance has transitioned to server supported voice for mobile instead of running native. No one has more experience doing voice analysis than Nuance and if they feel locally running analysis is not feasible for mobile (at this time) I would have to concede to their wisdom and experience.

Quote:

It's kind of a continuous process where new Siri capabilities are added to Apples Servers (to understand and refine) -- and older capabilities are migrated to the iDevices (to improve performance and reduce server load).

Possibly, but I just don't see it being offloaded entirely until mobile processors are on par with current desktop processors. The lag caused by the network requests is nothing compared to the lag of a smaller CPU trying to do real-time analysis and AI.

Quote:

So, I believe we'll see staggered rollout of new languages and features to an ever increasing number of devices. And as Siri features become well-understood (by Apple) and refined -- more and more of the processing will migrate to the devices, themselves.

Almost certainly, but it can never be completely self-contained nor would it greatly benefit the process to migrate the majority of the analysis to the device.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaosman View Post

All I am saying is, the mere fact of putting the Siri software onto another device, may not be a copyright violation in a lot of cases.

Which we have already established as being beyond the actual issue and rather irrelevant if that's the case.

Quote:

However, if one were to create a server that would FULLY emulate the Siri server, meaning no connection to apple at all(by the server or the client) then one may be fully absolved from any wrong doing.

Other than the fact that they've now directly stolen Siri IP and will be sued for that…

Ignoring, of course, the fact that it would be impossible for them to emulate such a thing.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Huh? Didn't you see that Terms of Service you agreed to as you activated the phone?

TOS and EULA can say whatever they want. Even when somebody agrees to them, they aren't necessarily valid. We could be signing over ownership of our organs, but that doesn't make it legal. It is quite common for these documents to contain non-enforceable grandstanding.

This isn't to say that the hacker is right or that Apple is wrong. Rather, just that the whatever the consumer agreed to isn't necessarily enforceable.