$299 iPad 2 seen shaking up tablet market, Amazon's Kindle Fire

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I would not be surprised to see iPad 2 production continue and prices drop by $100 when the iPad 3 is released. I would be very surprised by a larger price drop.

also leaves room for refurbished for $50 less

that's what i did, bought a refurb for my daughter,
  • Reply 22 of 92
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Many $100 Cortex A8 capacitive tablets are now available offering more.

Can you name three?
  • Reply 23 of 92
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Hmm. So if you reduce the price of something, there is a chance that you might sell more of them. People like to come on this board and mock analysts, but that's the value of expert opinion right there.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

8MP camera? In a tablet? Useless.

I was amazed at the number of people using their iPad as a camera in Hawaii-- I counted 5 in a 5 minute span. Idiotic, but more common than you might think.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    $299 for and iPad 2 I think it is possible and Apple may introduce one with low memory, a Wifi model with 8GB of storage

personally I wish that Apple will replace the 16GB models with 32GB at the same price, and keep the iPad 2 wifi as new low model with 8GB, which will be a great deal for all, just like the iPod touch

and maybe add the 128GB model, so we can have something like this:

• Reply 26 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lzdanp13 View Post

Every time you use Digitimes as source material for an article you lose credibility with me. I will no longer read any material you publish of this kind. Using Digitimes as a foil to make it ok to spread baseless rumors is not cool.

Or maybe you… just shouldn't read the Digitimes stuff if it brings up some sort of primal rage or whatever inside you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BiGBBL View Post

$299 for and iPad 2 I think it is possible… …I wish that Apple will replace the 16GB models with 32GB…

Makes ZERO sense. Why would Apple create an 8GB tablet? That's insane. Why would they have a $200 gap? That's insane.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

If that Fire was selling at $150 then it might have made a loss.

Many $100 Cortex A8 capacitive tablets are now available offering more. So it might be considered very bad housekeeping by Amazon to make a loss on a $200 sale.

The most interesting event so far this year is certainly the Playstation Vita. Unless Apple has got it's actual together this Vita CPU will also be in the iPad 3.

So now we have a dedicated games device that can also be a smartphone.

The interesting question now is, will cheap 99c apps be preferred on a $650+ device to $15+ real games on this $350 one?

5" certainly creates overlap between phoe and tablet so where is the 5" Apple A6 iPod touch?

The market has already answered your question for you, the Vita is in serious trouble.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

I think that there will end up with 2 different tablet markets. The premium market like the iPad which will offer great video and etc.

And the tablet priced @ $100 or less that will be what the average person will use around the home to control TV, receive email, read ebooks and anything else that won't require a great screen or a lot of processing power.

I think the Kindle Fire is more comparable to the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

In the same way they would never compete with those cheapass Android phones by offering a $99 iPhone and .99c iPhone. Nope, they would never do that...Oh wait!

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...e-packages.jsp

Bad comparison; iPhones are heavily subsidized by the carriers and Apple's margins on that phone are pretty high.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BiGBBL View Post

$299 for and iPad 2 I think it is possible and Apple may introduce one with low memory, a Wifi model with 8GB of storage

personally I wish that Apple will replace the 16GB models with 32GB at the same price, and keep the iPad 2 wifi as new low model with 8GB, which will be a great deal for all, just like the iPod touch

and maybe add the 128GB model, so we can have something like this:

Do you work for DigiTimes?
  • Reply 31 of 92
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,305member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandyf View Post

Apple is currently selling their refurbished 16GB iPad2 for $419. Can't see them selling it new for $299, even if it's last years model. But it would be sweet!

Bingo -- I think the refurb price is exactly the place to look for clues as to how low they might take the base model iPad2. So my guess is that $399 is most likely with $349 being possible. But $299 seems like a bridge too far.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    $299.00? Not likely! I got a good chuckle from that though...

Okay, so maybe, just maybe we'll see the iPad 2 for $399 once the iPad 3 ships, but we might be even more likely to see the iPad 2 remain at $499 and the iPad 3 show up at $599 for the entry model.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    It may be another year before Apple formally addresses the Kindle Fire threat. The Fire is a nice toy, but the Fire only emphasizes what a value the iPad is. Amazon is working hard to bring the next version of the Fire out this year, but if they are going to maintain the budget price, they are going to have to cut corners again.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or maybe you? just shouldn't read the Digitimes stuff if it brings up some sort of primal rage or whatever inside you.

Makes ZERO sense. Why would Apple create an 8GB tablet? That's insane. Why would they have a $200 gap? That's insane.

With iCloud I don't think 8 GB is insane - though I doubt they would go backwards.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I think the Kindle Fire is more comparable to the iPod Touch.

I think that is silly. The iTouch runs all the iOS apps. The Kindle is MUCH more limited.

The iTouch and the iPad are basically the same thing, but with different screen sizes. The Kindle is a whole different class of product.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

With iCloud I don't think 8 GB is insane

With, at best, a 2GB download cap, it's insane. Wi-Fi isn't pervasive and 3G (particularly since the hardware isn't built in) costs too much to be more useful than an additional 8 or 24 GB.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My point is, if Apple gonna do like last year at the launch of the iPad2, keeping old models with discount of $100, the 16GB it will be automatically at $399, since the 16GB is the best selling model. So this way Apple will empty their stock while having new low cost model (8GB) will be a perfect choice for customers who are looking for a good compromise over competition.. it's just a personal opinion

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Do you work for DigiTimes?

No
  • Reply 38 of 92
    The iPod touch uses a budget screen and even the 4S one is not up to iPhone 4 standard.

So switching te iPad 2 to a budget screen may well coincide with a price drop.

Obviously it won't be $300, at least not unless the iPad 3 is a big and different 11.6"

We like our 99c apps so too many would choose the $300 iPad versus the $500 iPad.

Not good business so $400 is certainly the price.

However, if the iPad 3 screen is also very cheap too, then $400 and $300 is feasible.

That;s with a cheap new screen for the iPad 2.

This is only really possible if Apple moves away from LG and Samsung for top notch screens.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Kindle and iPad are not in the same league. Kindle is more comparable to the iPod touch. All Apple needs to do is create a larger version of the iPod; 6-7". Then we would have a Kindle competitor that could be priced fairly close, maybe 249-299. This is why I believe they didn't update the iPod touch this Fall - they're waiting to introduce new models in the first quarter of 2012 along side the new iPad, and yes, I also believe they will in fact keep the iPad 2 around as the base model at $399-449.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz

Doesn't exactly take genius to figure this out. But yes, you're right.

Indeed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz

And next year, I think the iPad 2 might continue as well, at $299.

I don't know about that.