Pages saving in Lion problems - Help

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Most of the time this isn't a problem. And it's not worth reverting to snow leopard.

But occasionally saving (the "autosave") in pages halts my work. It stutters, and causes me to enter incorrect information. It does it very frequently and sometimes annoys me to no end.

I assume it's when I have more windows and programs open. I just upgraded my RAM.

Is there something I can do to keep it from interrupting me every time I try to enter text?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I assume it's when I have more windows and programs open. I just upgraded my RAM.

File saves depend on the speed of your hard drive and the size of the saved content. If your file is 20MB and you have a laptop drive with say 50MB/s write, it will take about half a second to write to disk and could easily cause a stutter. Solid state drives have much higher write performance so that would reduce stuttering but follow some of the guidelines in this thread:

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...f=19&t=1164181

The Pages file format should separate images from text if set to a bundle type as mentioned in that thread (unlike Word) so it should only autosave a very small text file if you aren't inserting huge images regularly.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

File saves depend on the speed of your hard drive and the size of the saved content. If your file is 20MB and you have a laptop drive with say 50MB/s write, it will take about half a second to write to disk and could easily cause a stutter. Solid state drives have much higher write performance so that would reduce stuttering but follow some of the guidelines in this thread:

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...f=19&t=1164181

The Pages file format should separate images from text if set to a bundle type as mentioned in that thread (unlike Word) so it should only autosave a very small text file if you aren't inserting huge images regularly.

Thank you so much for the help!

I looked through my hardware specs and I couldn't identify what the write speed was. I'll have to dig deeper

Processor NametIntel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speedt2 GHz

Number of Processorst1

Total Number of Corest2

L2 Cachet3 MB

Memoryt4 GB

Bus Speedt1.07 GHz

It was a particularly large file with a large table in it, although I think it clocks in at 222KB. I ended up working with it in Numbers and it seemed to handle the document better?had to meet a deadline. But this will be very helpful for future deadlines, Thank you for taking the time.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

I looked through my hardware specs and I couldn't identify what the write speed was. I'll have to dig deeper

You have to benchmark the drive to find out that info using an app like:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/black...25264550?mt=12

but if the file was small, it was more likely to be something else. Core 2 Duo machines are quite slow these days so it may have taken a bit of time to process all the data quickly enough to auto-save it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You have to benchmark the drive to find out that info using an app like:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/black...25264550?mt=12

but if the file was small, it was more likely to be something else. Core 2 Duo machines are quite slow these days so it may have taken a bit of time to process all the data quickly enough to auto-save it.

hm. I am clocking around 42-50mb/s. Would that be the problem even with a small file? Is there any fix outside of buying a new mac?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

hm. I am clocking around 42-50mb/s. Would that be the problem even with a small file? Is there any fix outside of buying a new mac?

The drive shouldn't be a problem with small files. In fact, I noticed the person in the link above had issues with a 12-core Mac Pro, SSD and 15GB RAM so it's clearly a software fault. I guess that explains the 47-page thread asking for the option to disable auto-save:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

If saving the document as a separate document doesn't improve auto-save performance and changing the preference to use a bundle type, copying the content over into a new document and saving it doesn't help either, I'd say there's not really a viable solution until Apple fix it.

I'm not sure how they save the changes but if they are saving the entire thing on every auto-save, I'd say that's not the most efficient way to do it. They have to write to disk in order to make sure it's backed up but they should only save the modifications. Either that or duplicate it in RAM and do a throttled write.