CES: Acer unveils new cloud service, copies Apple's iCloud presentation

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    lualua Posts: 7member
    asus ceo mimic jobs presentation style when he introduced the zenbook.

now we have acer ceo.

won't be long before these taiwanese make a clone of steve jobs. fine and dandy with me if they manage to clone his brain proper. that is. until he opens his mouth and speak mandarin. the horror.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Acre's R&D is Rip-off & Doppelgäng
  • Reply 63 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because only PhotoStream allows a user to save pics to the cloud and displays them in horizontal/vertical lines. Photos were used in both cases because it makes for a better presentation than say files, folders, music, etc...

Photostream does not "allow a user to save pics to the cloud", it AUTOMATICALLY saves pics to iCloud AUTOMATICALLY accessible on any device linked to that iCloud account.

There is one login, no need to install anything on any updated Apple devices, no need to keep track of multiple accounts, no need for multiple software installations across multiple devices.

iCloud is a natural progression from iTools, which was introduced by Apple in 2000.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I can't really think of another way you actually put it on a slide.

That is the exact same thing everybody designing a tablet right now is saying - I really can't think of another way to do it, other than how Apple has done it.

Well, maybe except for Sony.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Acer. Tut tut tut. What a bunch of zeros. Apple is clearly the most stylish kid on the block and these dweebs just want a piece of the style too.

Tough shit. Go and find your own look, dickskin.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    I know this article is about Acer but today, I saw a recently released Samsung Galaxy Nexus commercial that started with a voice that sounded a lot like the guy who speaks in Apple's ads. The look and feel was also very similar. Towards the end, they even used a whitish screen with text, much like many of Apple's commercials.

It's so pathetic how much these companies copy Apple. Why can't they do anything original? I was thinking of buying a new LED TV with a Samsung Series 6 on the top of the list. With all that's been going on, I'm losing respect for Samsung big time and am reconsidering spending my money with Samsung.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

I know this article is about Acer but...

...I am going to ignore that fact because I had already typed out my unrelated rant about how Samsung sucks and I know that around here you don't have to be on topic, or make sense, as long as you're bashing Apple's competition.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Quote:

I know this article is about Acer but today, I saw a recently released Samsung Galaxy Nexus commercial that started with a voice that sounded a lot like the guy who speaks in Apple's ads. The look and feel was also very similar. Towards the end, they even used a whitish screen with text, much like many of Apple's commercials.

It's so pathetic how much these companies copy Apple. Why can't they do anything original? I was thinking of buying a new LED TV with a Samsung Series 6 on the top of the list. With all that's been going on, I'm losing respect for Samsung big time and am reconsidering spending my money with Samsung.

Google commercials do not resemble Apple commercials but they are in the same genre.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh, Acer. You're getting into services now??? Where's your billion-dollar data center?

For a few dozen stored JPEG's they won't need a billion$ data center. One iPhone might be enough to provide this service.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Google commercials do not resemble Apple commercials but they are in the same genre.

The original post didn't mention Google. So i'm not sure why you bring them up on this context, although of course Samsung run Google's OS on their copycat devices.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    It's their business model to take market trends, copy and make them as cheap as possible. When/if they violate patents and IP they should be slapped... when not then I see no problem.

Though I'd be embarrassed to be that blatant.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

The original post didn't mention Google. So i'm not sure why you bring them up on this context, although of course Samsung run Google's OS on their copycat devices.

Only galaxy nexus commercials I've seen are made by Google.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    AcerCloud and PicStream are being joined by another new service, MobileMeToo.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    Yet more glaring evidence that the tech universe has not one single creative idea left that doesn't revolve around copying Apple and everything they do, right down to their slides. Creatively bankrupt companies should go out of business.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    MobileMe presentation in June 2008

http://www.apfeltalk.de/forum/attach...4-mobileme.jpg

Look familiar?
  • Reply 76 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

MobileMe presentation in June 2008

Look familiar?

Less than, but sure. The Acer thing has identical grids of photos, too. There's absolutely no excuse or explanation for that.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I take it you won't be applying for any jobs in graphic design in the near future?

It's not exactly graphic design, its a Powerpoint presentation. They've used a generic background with the generic way of laying out services that talk to the cloud. Apart from the cloud image which you can't really say is a copy of Apple given that calling it the cloud and having pictures of a cloud comes long before Apple, the only other graphic is the background which is a gradient fill, again very common.

But it's more the fact they've copied the service, and by copying the service the illustration naturally ends up being the same. Even if you never saw that slide from the Apple presentation, you would come up with the same layout.
  • Reply 78 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

They've used a generic background

Made to look exactly like Apple's standard background that they've been using for over a decade…

Quote:

with the generic way of laying out services that talk to the cloud.

I'd love to hear how you think you can call 'precisely the way Apple has done it for years" the 'generic' way.

Because I've seen all sorts of cloud presentations. The cloud generally is in the middle. SHOCK AND HORROR.

Quote:

the only other graphic is the background which is a gradient fill, again very common.

… as I said, common because Apple popularized it.

Quote:

Even if you never saw that slide from the Apple presentation, you would come up with the same layout.

It's ludicrous to actually believe that sentence.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Made to look exactly like Apple's standard background that they've been using for over a decade?

I'd love to hear how you think you can call 'precisely the way Apple has done it for years" the 'generic' way.

Because I've seen all sorts of cloud presentations. The cloud generally is in the middle. SHOCK AND HORROR.

? as I said, common because Apple popularized it.

It's ludicrous to actually believe that sentence.

Gradient backgrounds aren't apple's. All other points I agree.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Gradient backgrounds aren't apple's. All other points I agree.

No, certainly. But they were the first to use them in presentations. And the same argument applies here: changing the color of the gradient while changing nothing else about it (direction, etc.) is just laughable.