Rumor: 250 Apple employees attending CES despite no official presence

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Tacky!

Is it Ballmer or the other suits at MS? Unlike Steve Jobs, Ballmer presentations are neither professional nor dignified. Ballmer wants to seem hip and cool, like Jobs, but Jobs and other presenters for Apple come off with subdued enthusiasm for their new products, and let their products be center stage rather than their personalities.

Given what we know of the Apple leaders, they have/had quite outsized personalities that they purposefully do not show on stage. The calmness and smiles they offer on stage, from what I've read, didn't continue in the privacy of their offices. Their public personalities have been created and honed; it's a role they play. I don't think most of us would like their private personalities.

No doubt Ballmer has an outsized personality, he may in his private life be quite hip, and one cool dude at a party, but I suspect otherwise. Ballmer's public personality, one consciously chosen, is simply inappropriate. It certainly may be that Microsofts offerings cannot take center stage at presentations, unlike Apple's, so that an outsized Ballmer must be the center of attention. It doesn't work, though.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Something wrong with having black people singing at your product launch. Don't knock microsoft cause they let black people on their stage every now and then and apple don't.

just kidding, apple loves black people. The iphone is huge in Africa

I think you missed the point...
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

249 from the legal team to deal with the blatant copies, and

1 looking for something new and innovative.

My thoughts exactly!
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Something wrong with having black people singing at your product launch. Don't knock microsoft cause they let black people on their stage every now and then and apple don't.

just kidding, apple loves black people. The iphone is huge in Africa

Do you have a problem?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    No doubt in my mind that Apple can improve on this: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/10/...ncept-to-life/

It was their patent after all. Its the only thing thats caught my eye from CES. The iMac would benefit from something like this. I also rather switch between Mac OS X and iOS vs combining the two into one OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No doubt Apple is checking out the products, features and tech being introduced at CES. They've always paid attention to what the "other guys" are doing. Perhaps there's several good ideas they'll come across, find a way to improve, and include in a future Apple product. There's smart guys with vision in a lot of places. They aren't all under contract to Apple.

• Reply 26 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I imagine they walk around with the new recruits acting like doctors with interns. "Can you see what's wrong with this product?" "It's 2012 and they still have a VGA port on their ultrabook." "Yes, yes - you'll make a fine Apple employee."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Actually I'm glad some devices still carry vga, and RJ45 LAN for that matter.

I often need to use a laptop at a customers location for work or presentation and 9 out of 10 times wireless is out of the question, and available installed projectors only offer vga cables.

Personally, I don't want VGA, Serial, Parallel, or any other such port when I don't need them. If I know I'll come across some old projector that doesn't haven't anything better than VGA there is always an option for that instead of being a completely different machine because it offers VGA. What I hope Apple does is 1) gets AirPlay in Macs, and 2) makes a device for displays and projectors that will allow for PtP of AirPlay to these devices. At this point if I want to set up AirPlay in a class or boardroom I have to use a router, AppleTV, and it can only be used from an iPad, iPhone or Touch. I find those things a lot more limiting than not wanting to buy a VGA adapter for a Mac notebook.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

No doubt in my mind that Apple can improve on this: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/10/...ncept-to-life/

It was their patent after all. Its the only thing thats caught my eye from CES. The iMac would benefit from something like this. I also rather switch between Mac OS X and iOS vs combining the two into one OS.

Looking at the pic I thought that was an Apple product with Snow Leopard installed. First off, Apple is going rally against that machine. Secondly, that is the way you'll have to do a touchscreen iMac and it looks like Lenovo has been them to the demo (despite Apple having submitted such patents in the past and that Apple could easily have these ready to go this month for actual sale for all we know.)
  • Reply 28 of 36
    No doubt Apple employees are there thinking about "who do we need to be prepared to sue in a few weeks" in addition to checking out the competitors' marketing.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I don't really need to say anything at this point.

Okay well maybe one thing.

WHAT!?

Lame attempt at one upping Apple's habit of having music and often a musical guest at their personal keynotes.

Rumor has it that the whole tweet thing was the second choice. originally Ballmer wanted to have them do a rousing rendition of "They tried to make me go to Apple, but I said no, no, no"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No doubt Apple is checking out the products, features and tech being introduced at CES.

And likely coming back to report to Tim that there's nothing to worry about, what they have been working on for the last year or so is way better.

Quote:

Something wrong with having black people singing at your product launch.

You really had to make it something racist didn't you.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Actually I'm glad some devices still carry vga, and RJ45 LAN for that matter.

I often need to use a laptop at a customers location for work or presentation and 9 out of 10 times wireless is out of the question, and available installed projectors only offer vga cables.

I have an iPad with the required adapters that run on pretty much any reasonably current projector for vga or hdmi. I also have an AppleTV and an Airport Express unit that gives me even greater flexibility - all of which weighs less and takes much less space than the average laptop. I jack in my iPad, remote it from my iPhone, and use the flexibility to walk out into the audience or around the room. My Airport is locked to the MAC addresses of my devices, so I don't get campers. Sweet, sweet setup with maximum flexibility and minimum footprint, and of course if I need internet I can RJ45 the Airport.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Those in the iTunes marketing team that I deal with are "out of the office until the 16th." A call to one of them confirmed they are in Vegas.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    The "Tweet Choir", a bored Ryan Seacrest and Steve Ballmers sweaty shirt - can't expect any better from Microsoft. All that was missing was Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry rapping a Windows 8 song and a life-sized Clippy using Kinect.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Apple doesn't need to. They have their own show. And on top of that there is the Mac World.

Man in denial here folks.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Apple doesn't need to. They have their own show. And on top of that there is the Mac World.

There's a difference between exhibiting and attending.

There's a world of technology that goes beyond that of any one company's own products and services.

Apple no longer exhibits at third party shows since they prefer complete control over the venue, timing, message, guest list, etc. for their announcements. The general public can go see Apple's products at a nearby Apple Retail Store.

From a competitive analysis perspective, particularly from a marketing standpoint, it still makes sense for Apple to send select employees to various trade events. There's a lot of worthless crap at CES, but the overall trends are probably pretty interesting to see. Last year, there were hundreds of media tablets announced at CES and most of them got pulled from production once the iPad 2 released. As a matter of fact, the one non-Apple tablet that got any traction last year (Kindle Fire) wasn't even shown at CES.

Most consumer electronics companies preview unreleased products at CES and other similar tradeshows. By attending in person, Apple gets a glimpse into their competitors' prototyping labs, an advantage since Apple almost never previews their own unreleased hardware.

Note that Apple's show is the World Wide Developer's Conference which is not intended for Joe Consumer. Apart from the keynote speech, it's not really a media event either. It's for developers.

It's likely that Adobe and Google send a few developers to Apple's WWDC. It's likely that Apple sends a few engineers to Google and Adobe's developer conference as well.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

There's a difference between exhibiting and attending.

There's a world of technology that goes beyond that of any one company's own products and services.

Apple no longer exhibits at third party shows since they prefer complete control over the venue, timing, message, guest list, etc. for their announcements. The general public can go see Apple's products at a nearby Apple Retail Store.

From a competitive analysis perspective, particularly from a marketing standpoint, it still makes sense for Apple to send select employees to various trade events. There's a lot of worthless crap at CES, but the overall trends are probably pretty interesting to see. Last year, there were hundreds of media tablets announced at CES and most of them got pulled from production once the iPad 2 released. As a matter of fact, the one non-Apple tablet that got any traction last year (Kindle Fire) wasn't even shown at CES.

Most consumer electronics companies preview unreleased products at CES and other similar tradeshows. By attending in person, Apple gets a glimpse into their competitors' prototyping labs, an advantage since Apple almost never previews their own unreleased hardware.

Note that Apple's show is the World Wide Developer's Conference which is not intended for Joe Consumer. Apart from the keynote speech, it's not really a media event either. It's for developers.

It's likely that Adobe and Google send a few developers to Apple's WWDC. It's likely that Apple sends a few engineers to Google and Adobe's developer conference as well.

"Smith, that is your third code error this week; I think we will send you to ? the Adobe Developers Conference. Remember, there is still Windows."

Cheers
  • Reply 36 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

"Smith, that is your third code error this week; I think we will send you to ? the Adobe Developers Conference. Remember, there is still Windows."

Cheers

Yeah, Google Developers Conference is probably Apple's Siberia. j/k