Street consensus for Apple's iPad sales in Dec. quarter stands at 13.5 million units

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Where is Alex Gauna ? Flipping burgers?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/tag/alex-gauna/
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by y2an View Post

I keep seeing references to cannibalization but it's not possible for the Kindle Fire to have cannibalized iPad sales as they are made by different companies. It's just competition.

you stole the words out of my mouth. People recently have been way overusing cannibalize, innovate, and other words popularized by the iPhone's and iPad's groundbreaking debuts.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:

I keep seeing references to cannibalization but it's not possible for the Kindle Fire to have cannibalized iPad sales as they are made by different companies. It's just competition.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iObserver View Post

you stole the words out of my mouth. People recently have been way overusing cannibalize, innovate, and other words popularized by the iPhone's and iPad's groundbreaking debuts.

One definition of cannibalize: to cut into; cause to become reduced; diminish
  • Reply 24 of 49
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

I wonder how many did as my brother's family did. Everyone got fires at Christmas, a week later they had all traded them on for iPads.

I've said the same thing in other posts

Amazon doesn't publish fire sold volume

And certainly WON'T publish return %

I have similar stories

Sales people pass off fire as "just like iPad"

Great sales pitch but it's a pitch to deceive

I don't know anyone that has kept the fire

To save money they buy refurbished ipad2

Or one family got 3 iPad 1 off eBay returning the fire
  • Reply 25 of 49
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

You are correct.

Quote:

Definition of 'Market Cannibalization'

The negative impact of a company's new product on the sales performance of its existing related products.

\t

Investopedia explains 'Market Cannibalization'

If a company is practicing market cannibalization, it is eating its own market. For example, say Coca Cola puts out a new product called Coke2, and customers buy Coke2 instead of regular Coke. Although sales may be up for the new product, these sales may be eating into Coke's original market, in which case the overall company sales would not be increasing. Because of the possibility of market cannibalization, investors should always dig deeper, analyzing the source and impact of the success of a company's new but similar product.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/...#ixzz1jYwsxfPw

• Reply 26 of 49
    The more Fires that got into people's hands, the better for Apple. Fact is, the iPad is simply so much more enjoyable to use, useful, etc. that getting a glimpse at what it would look like if other manufacturers dictated the direction tablets should go in merely makes the iPad seem that much more compelling.

Apple has it right. Deliver a decent tablet with a starting price of around $500. There's a market for such a product and Apple has the sales numbers to prove it.

By the way, one of the reasons the iPad is so successful is that Apple made the right choice in screen size. The iPad is just the right size for a device that is not intended to be pocketable. Smaller and it's less enjoyable to use, larger and it becomes too heavy to be practical as a handheld.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

Tip: It's whatever Gene Munster and Shaw Wu say, these guys know their shit, no one else really has a clue.

Mostly disagree with that statement. Based on historical accuracies, don't follow what either say IMO.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

One definition of cannibalize: to cut into; cause to become reduced; diminish

Saying that the Fire is cannibalizing the iPad is crazy because they are after different markets. Do you also consider iPod Touch sales as cannibalizing iPad sales as well? Products have to be after the same market in order for them to considered as cannibals of that market. Fire is closer to the Touch than it is to the iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McRCN View Post

I take it these numbers are all just pulled out of thin air?

No... It's a highly technical process called sphincter-synthesis.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iObserver View Post

Also overused - 'groundbreaking'

• Reply 31 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Also overused - 'groundbreaking'

Are "cannibalising" and "groundbreaking" overused because you guys don't think they should be used figuratively?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Of course if people get upset at a smaller iPad Apple could always call it an iPod!😳

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

My mom got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. It goes unused because shed much rather use my iPad.

However, the reason she got the Kindle Fire (over an iPad) still applies, in that it is something she can fit in her purse, which you can't do with the iPad. I would really love to see a 7" iPad Mini, even if it was a limited device, which only served media, kind of like the Fire.

No, it really needs to run apps just like all other iOS devices. I don't see a problem with this, everyone complains that it is more work for developers but frankly developers can go screw themselves. They can either support a sub 7" iPad orgo out of business.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Q4 2010 - 4.19 (october 18, 2010)

Q1 2011 - 7.33 (January 18, 2011)

So (7.33 - 4.19) / 4.19 = 75% growth

Q4 2011 - 11.12 (October 18, 2011)

Q1 2012 - ?

So 11.12 * 0.75 = 8.34 + 11.12 = 19.46

So the guy at the top of the estimates did a ratio from last holiday quarter. The catch is Apple had a bigger tablet market share in 2010, so you need to deduce something from that number. If you take out 2 millions because of the Kindle fire and others you get 17.46. Remember the Kindle Fire is a US only product, the impact is limited to US sales only.

So that my estimate, 17.46

If the real number is anything above 17 millions the stock is going to lift off to the moon. We already know the Mac did great, the iphone did great from leaks of wireless co sales. The last unknown is the ipad.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Trying to think of the most good to come out of these estimates. AppleInsider-please start a board and let us all kick in a dollar, for donation to charity, and whoever has chosen the number closest to the actual $ will get bragging rights and the money sent to their favorite charity (but not yourself.)
  • Reply 35 of 49
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Saying that the Fire is cannibalizing the iPad is crazy because they are after different markets. Do you also consider iPod Touch sales as cannibalizing iPad sales as well? Products have to be after the same market in order for them to considered as cannibals of that market. Fire is closer to the Touch than it is to the iPad.

It doesn't have to be the same market (segment). It has to be the same company, i.e., eating its own.

As previously been defined:

The negative impact of a company's new product on the sales performance of its [own} existing related products.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

?developers can go screw themselves. They can either support a sub 7" iPad orgo out of business.

Funny how that never seems to work in any other situation.

"Movie studios/music producers/workstation users can go screw themselves. They can either work on iMacs and Mac Minis or go out of business."
  • Reply 37 of 49
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are "cannibalising" and "groundbreaking" overused because you guys don't think they should be used figuratively?

They're just crutches for people who want a long and fancy sounding word to describe the actions of or against their favorite company.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It doesn't have to be the same market (segment). It has to be the same company, i.e., eating its own.

As previously been defined:

The negative impact of a company's new product on the sales performance of its [own} existing related products.

If you want to be spot on, it should be the same company AND the same market (segment) but that is too much to expect from the analysts, AI or most of these comments.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    a dividend
  • Reply 40 of 49
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Why dont analysts just admit that they dont really know and are groping in the dark desperately for numbers to show that there relevent.

Beats the heck out of me too. None of them really have a clue, and frankly most seem like overpaid fairground fortune tellers.