Apple could water-proof future devices with HzO technology

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

You forgot to mention "chem-trails" to really make yourself sound silly.

It your health, not mine.

Dont say I didnt warn ya.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

It your health, not mine.

Dont say I didnt warn ya.

That explains why he doesn't use any Apple products; he's terrified of everything electronic. Wonder how he's posting here.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

Apple doesnt have Corning's Gorilla Glass on their devices. They have iShield.

Actually, they do use Cornings' Gorilla Glass. From the bio (yes, again, I can't help it):

The natural place to look was Asia, where the glass for the stores was being made. But Jobs?s friend John Seeley Brown, who was on the board of Corning Glass in Upstate New York, told him that he should talk to that company?s young and dynamic CEO, Wendell Weeks. So he dialed the main Corning switchboard number and asked to be put through to Weeks. He got an assistant, who offered to pass along the message. ?No, I?m Steve Jobs,? he replied. ?Put me through.? The assistant refused. Jobs called Brown and complained that he had been subjected to ?typical East Coast bullshit.? When Weeks heard that, he called the main Apple switchboard and asked to speak to Jobs. He was told to put his request in writing and send it in by fax. When Jobs was told what happened, he took a liking to Weeks and invited him to Cupertino.

Jobs described the type of glass Apple wanted for the iPhone, and Weeks told him that Corning had developed a chemical exchange process in the 1960s that led to what they dubbed ?gorilla glass.? It was incredibly strong, but it had never found a market, so Corning quit making it. Jobs said he doubted it was good enough, and he started explaining to Weeks how glass was made. This amused Weeks, who of course knew more than Jobs about that topic. ?Can you shut up,? Weeks interjected, ?and let me teach you some science?? Jobs was taken aback and fell silent. Weeks went to the whiteboard and gave a tutorial on the chemistry, which involved an ion-exchange process that produced a compression layer on the surface of the glass. This turned Jobs around, and he said he wanted as much gorilla glass as Corning could make within six months. ?We don?t have the capacity,? Weeks replied. ?None of our plants make the glass now.?

?Don?t be afraid,? Jobs replied. This stunned Weeks, who was good-humored and confident but not used to Jobs?s reality distortion field. He tried to explain that a false sense of confidence would not overcome engineering challenges, but that was a premise that Jobs had repeatedly shown he didn?t accept. He stared at Weeks unblinking. ?Yes, you can do it,? he said. ?Get your mind around it. You can do it.?

As Weeks retold this story, he shook his head in astonishment. ?We did it in under six months,? he said. ?We produced a glass that had never been made.? Corning?s facility in Harrisburg, Kentucky, which had been making LCD displays, was converted almost overnight to make gorilla glass full-time. ?We put our best scientists and engineers on it, and we just made it work.? In his airy office, Weeks has just one framed memento on display. It?s a message Jobs sent the day the iPhone came out: ?We couldn?t have done it without you.?
  • Reply 44 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Actually, they do use Cornings' Gorilla Glass. From the bio (yes, again, I can't help it):

[...]

What's worse is says Apple uses a plastic covering from a 3rd-party which is completely false.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

It's about time someone made a waterproof phone. Waterproof watches have been around for ages. All it takes is a little rubber gasket.

Phones are more complex though and they need to dissipate heat as well as emit and receive sound. A watch can be sealed up as much as possible without affecting its function.

The HzO coating is pretty much the best solution to the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxZgr4O2cz8

That company is going to make one hell of a lot of money because it is suitable for any and ever piece of electronic equipment in existence, including watches.

Even if the coating wore out over time it would still protect the device through the most important period of its ownership. I'd say laptops probably need this more than anything to avoid damage from keyboard spillage.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    Its already in millions of devices already so it is well tried and tested.

It should help increase reliability and won't impact ion the strategic use of those moisture detectors.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd say laptops probably need this more than anything to avoid damage from keyboard spillage.

That would be great, but it might not be quite that simple. In my experience the liquids are often sticky, causing other problems that this might not mitigate. I guess though that it would make the keyboard washable.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

Recently my iPhone and I were caught in a torrential downpour soaking me to the core, and the iPhone was drenched. The phone was in a bag, but the bag got soaked through.

Naturally the water-damage repair was not covered by AppleCare. The Apple Genius confirmed that the iPhone has sensors that detect whether there has been water ingress - presumably so Apple knows whether to cover it with AppleCare, or whether to make us pay extra money.

I suggest to Apple that - rather than spending engineering effort to put water sensors to detect if we've got the phone wet (so they don't have to provide AppleCare - they should channel their engineering efforts to provide the iPhone with a degree of water resistance.

But purely looking at this from a money-hungry, greed viewpoint, it'd save Apple more money by just having water-sensors so they don't have to cover water damage repairs under AppleCare. Also, making it waterproof would loose Apple some revenue from forcing customers to buy replacement iPhones that they've gotten wet. So, given that Apple consistently takes the route that brings in more money, I'd say we're not going to see a waterproof/water resistant iPhone any time soon.

Since the technology exists to make iPhones waterproof or water resistant, I would not be surprised if there are such hawks in Apple's corporate tower that sit there and say - no, rather than making the iPhone waterproof, we'll instead include water sensors, so we can make more money.

I don't agree. I'd be willing to bet Apple would definitely incorporate this technology once they've vetted it
  • Reply 49 of 81
    "I'm sure the lights they use in their stores aren't low-power florescence, because it would make the products look bad."

I believe they use LED light fixtures manufactured by ERCO.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    I wanna read my iPad inna tub.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

Recently my iPhone and I were caught in a torrential downpour soaking me to the core, and the iPhone was drenched. The phone was in a bag, but the bag got soaked through.

Naturally the water-damage repair was not covered by AppleCare. The Apple Genius confirmed that the iPhone has sensors that detect whether there has been water ingress - presumably so Apple knows whether to cover it with AppleCare, or whether to make us pay extra money.

I suggest to Apple that - rather than spending engineering effort to put water sensors to detect if we've got the phone wet (so they don't have to provide AppleCare - they should channel their engineering efforts to provide the iPhone with a degree of water resistance.

The "sensor" is are just adhesive-backed paper discs that changes color when water touches it. Hardly an expensive technology. This new stuff does sound costlier, but I don't see any reason why Apple isn't investigating their options. Engineering is a complicated endevor, and the stuff must be non-toxic, environmentally friendly, pass world wide regulations, and then there are human factors as well.

Quote:

But purely looking at this from a money-hungry, greed viewpoint, it'd save Apple more money by just having water-sensors so they don't have to cover water damage repairs under AppleCare. Also, making it waterproof would loose Apple some revenue from forcing customers to buy replacement iPhones that they've gotten wet. So, given that Apple consistently takes the route that brings in more money, I'd say we're not going to see a waterproof/water resistant iPhone any time soon.

Since the technology exists to make iPhones waterproof or water resistant, I would not be surprised if there are such hawks in Apple's corporate tower that sit there and say - no, rather than making the iPhone waterproof, we'll instead include water sensors, so we can make more money.

You do realize that this is a NEW technology here, right? They can't just retroactively apply it to old phones.
  • Reply 52 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I always think it's funny when an American company uses the "z" in a product name and it's clear that they intend it to be pronounced "ZEE" not realising that the majority of the world actually pronounces this letter as "ZED" making the proposed product name totally silly to say. It's like a classic American blind spot.

Edit: even more hilarious that they chose an announcer with an English accent to say "zee."

Zima

Zomething Different
  • Reply 53 of 81
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Having gotten caught in the rain on the way him from the gym last month, I just tossed my shorts in the dryer.

Having taken a bath towel to the greasy screen of my iPhone last week, I slipped up and tossed it into 18" of water in the tub.

Strangely, both devices survived with no apparent ill effects, but nonetheless? Please. My apparent aquatic lifestyle requires this kind of support.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    I always think people who're convinced there is a "correct" pronunciation or accent are parochial at best, bigots at worst. The malleability of language is the major part of its beauty and strength. Each generation creates it anew out of available materials.

Fortunately most of us have no problem with multiple definitions, pronunciations, and inflections, being able to evaluate such subtleties in context without undue confusion. Or silly judgments.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Enjoy your cancers.

Thats all I'm going to say.

Also, dont stand in front of laser printers' paper output slot.

You'll inhale something you dont want in your lungs.

I'm glad they've finally gotten rid of CRT monitors.

One less fumes you have to worry about.

Finally quit CRT? Took you long enough.

CRTs have been in use for the better part of a century, if they caused cancer, it would be quite an epidemic.

Ozone hasn't been linked with cancer yet in humans. Animal studies were inconclusive.
  • Reply 56 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

CRTs have been in use for the better part of a century, if they caused cancer, it would be quite an epidemic.

Never mind all the radio waves floating around since the turn of the last century and the cell transmissions since the late 80s. Oh, and the microwaves in homes. Better wear lead-lined undergarments.

And the people who claim to be affected by Wi-Fi. That's a crock. Anyone moves into my neighborhood and tells me to shut down my Wi-Fi network, I'll laugh in their face. Oh, no, even better, I'll tell them to make their house out of aluminum.
  • Reply 57 of 81
    It's Zee, sing the song again, you'll see.

Two points though:

-I've got caught in a flash storm jogging with my iPhone 4S. I turned the phone off as soon as I could, when I got home, the phone didn't even seem wet, regardless I gave it an hour or so to dry, turned it on. No Problem.

Short of dropping it in a pool, I think our devices are more robust against this kind of thing than we know.

-Apple wouldn't be able to market this unless the method was 100% fullproof. If you were to drop your device and the impact were to crack a component enough to let water through the barrier, your device would be dead. Then what about heat? What about cold? I doubt this product would be like Jesus' feet when he went for a stroll on that lake (sea?) and so if ever the product was less than perfect, Apple would get bit.

But that doesn't prevent them from doing it anyway and not marketing it, simply so they could be that company that doesn't even advertise waterproofing, but whose devices are too good to need to advertise an obviously necessary feature like that
  • Reply 58 of 81
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

It's about time someone made a waterproof phone. Waterproof watches have been around for ages. All it takes is a little rubber gasket.

Little rubber gaskets require little channels to accommodate them, adding to the device's size. This is a significant issue for a product where 1mm of extra thickness is immediately noticeable. Also, watches don't have headphone or charging ports.
  • Reply 59 of 81
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

It's Zee, sing the song again, you'll see.

Two points though:

-I've got caught in a flash storm jogging with my iPhone 4S. I turned the phone off as soon as I could, when I got home, the phone didn't even seem wet, regardless I gave it an hour or so to dry, turned it on. No Problem.

Short of dropping it in a pool, I think our devices are more robust against this kind of thing than we know.

-Apple wouldn't be able to market this unless the method was 100% fullproof. If you were to drop your device and the impact were to crack a component enough to let water through the barrier, your device would be dead. Then what about heat? What about cold? I doubt this product would be like Jesus' feet when he went for a stroll on that lake (sea?) and so if ever the product was less than perfect, Apple would get bit.

But that doesn't prevent them from doing it anyway and not marketing it, simply so they could be that company that doesn't even advertise waterproofing, but whose devices are too good to need to advertise an obviously necessary feature like that

A friend dropped his iPhone in the toilet. He quickly rinsed it off, dried it with paper towels and then placed it in a bag packed with uncooked rice. Couple days later the phone was dry, inside and out, and the phone has worked fine since then (months ago.) Somebody should market this as a "water damage recovery kit".
  • Reply 60 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

A friend dropped his iPhone in the toilet. He quickly rinsed it off, dried it with paper towels and then placed it in a bag packed with uncooked rice. Couple days later the phone was dry, inside and out, and the phone has worked fine since then (months ago.) Somebody should market this as a "water damage recovery kit".

? http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Thirsty-Bag/IF145-163