Rumor: Apple to hold 'iPad 3' & iOS 5.1 event in early February

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Because people are buying it.

But no where near the sales of the iPad. the iPad is a game changer...the Kindle Fire is not......
  • Reply 22 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Because people are buying it.

And those people aren't really iPad customers.

Maybe Apple could release a cheap 5", 6", 7" iPod Touch or something for those kind of people, as a slightly bigger iPod Touch would destroy the Kindle Fire. I bought a $200 iPod Touch as a christmas present for somebody recently. I didn't even consider getting a Kindle Fire, no way Jose.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And those people aren't really iPad customers.

Maybe Apple could release a cheap 5", 6", 7" iPod Touch or something for those kind of people, as a slightly bigger iPod Touch would destroy the Kindle Fire. I bought a $200 iPod Touch as a christmas present for somebody recently. I didn't even consider a Kindle Fire, no way Jose.

I don't think Apple will relase a product with those screen sizes. They have a great game changing product so i think they will stick with the formula that makes it so succesful. I don't think Kindle Fire buyers are really iPad buyers..........Thye aren't doing this in the phone segment (so far) and don't see them doing in the tablet segment
  • Reply 24 of 67
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, if it were correct, this rumor might be a confirmation that iPad 3 will have a retina display and Apple wants to give developers time to update apps.

I can't remember Apple ever having done this in the past. I think most people understand that it takes time for developers to release software updates. The updated iPad 3 hardware will be more than enough to get us all queuing up again.

Personally I wish they would bring back an annual Mac only event in Jan/Feb. The annual MacWorld keynote really helped to lift the post Christmas gloom every year.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    This again. It's the same rumor bouncing around the blogosphere. Just because you hear it from different sources doesn't make it any more real. The only source that matters is Apple. It ain't real til Tim Cook says, "Good morning, thank you for joining us today..."
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This again. It's the same rumor bouncing around the blogosphere. Just because you hear it from different sources doesn't make it any more real. The only source that matters is Apple. It ain't real til Tim Cook says, "Good morning, thank you for joining us today..."

Very well said!
  • Reply 27 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I can't remember Apple ever having done this in the past. I think most people understand that it takes time for developers to release software updates. The updated iPad 3 hardware will be more than enough to get us all queuing up again.

There are already a few, select developers making games for the iPad 3. I don't know that for a fact, but it's a good guess. When the iPad 2 came out, I remember that Real Racing HD was real quick on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Real Racing "Retina" available pretty soon after the iPad 3 gets released.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No way! Putting the iPad (and now the iPod Touch) out just a season before the iPhone caused a strain which is why having them about 6 months apart from each other is best. Ill bet you a $25 iTunes Store gift card.

I agree, keeping the iPhone in September/October and the iPad in March/April keeps them from competing with each other and the iPad in 1Q or early 2Q gives them a boost in sales in what would otherwise likely be a lower performing time span.

I think the rumor of an event in early Feb probably does more for sales than the actual event that early (assuming a March launch). Either way, I'm ready for it.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Personally I wish they would bring back an annual Mac only event in Jan/Feb. The annual MacWorld keynote really helped to lift the post Christmas gloom every year.

iPhone shown in Jan released in Jun.

iPhone SDK shown /released in Mar Apps allowed in Jun.

iPad shown in Jan released in Apr.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Exactly. Too bad so many take these rumors to be fact.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I don't think Apple will relase a product with those screen sizes. They have a great game changing product so i think they will stick with the formula that makes it so succesful. ...

I think you are probably right, but to play devil's advocate ...

The iPod is not exactly either a successful or game changing product at the moment. A larger "gaming" iPod touch might be an option.

The people who think big screens are cool, are also those that are young and/or male, and heavily invested in mobile gaming.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Or at the end of the rollout, they say they have a special message from a good friend and pull up the video screen for a few shots of Steve saying "One more thing.." from past events, then they surprise everyone w/something new
  • Reply 33 of 67
    I'm all for a bigger iPod Touch.

If the iPad would have an SD card reader or some other type of card reader with big storage, AND get rid of the 64 GB and 32 GB models, they would sell more units. There would only be two models to make. The WiFi and the cell phone connected ones. Some people wouldn't need to put off making a purchase because they couldn't afford the higher priced models yet knew the lower capacity ones wouldn't suffice. Quicker sales means more overall revenue than waiting for sales of the higher priced models to happen.

With Apples purchase of that flash storage design firm in Israel, they could come up with a proprietary card storage system if they wanted to earn money with that company. Apple could sell the cards.

Isn't it about time that a plug in memory card carried 300 GB of data? Two years ago for a brief time Sandisc had an article about a 300 GB card that was supposed to go on sale that summer. The article was removed and the product didn't come out. What happened?
  • Reply 34 of 67
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Please please please let iOS 5.1 fix the "Unknown error 0xE800007F" code in iTunes for wifi syncing. It's annoying to say the least- but understandable with all the updates they issued the same day.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Fuck the Kindle Fire.

Apple will never drop the price of the iPad 2 close to $199.

It might drop to $399, and that would still be twice the price of the Kindle Fire. Cheap people still aren't going to buy an iPad 2 for $399, and Apple shouldn't take into consideration these cheap people when pricing the iPad.

How much is the iPhone 3GS again? As the manufacturing process increases, the overall cost decreases. It all depends if the next iPad has a new form factor. If not, and no retooling is needed, I'll bet the iPad 2 goes on sale for at least half the current price.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by damage976 View Post

How much is the iPhone 3GS again? As the manufacturing process increases, the overall cost decreases. It all depends if the next iPad has a new form factor. If not, and no retooling is needed, I'll bet the iPad 2 goes on sale for at least half the current price.

I think the iPhone 3GS sells for about $450 out of contract.

The iPod Touch is $200 with 1/4 the display area and half the capacity of the entry level iPad.

The question is why would Apple lose money per unit sold when it doesn't have to? They didn't drop the iPod pricing because some company was putting out an inferior model that cost less, and the Kindle Fire is clearly inferior to the iPad. It can't even register 3 inputs at once.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I'm all for a bigger iPod Touch.

If the iPad would have an SD card reader or some other type of card reader with big storage, AND get rid of the 64 GB and 32 GB models, they would sell more units. There would only be two models to make. The WiFi and the cell phone connected ones. Some people wouldn't need to put off making a purchase because they couldn't afford the higher priced models yet knew the lower capacity ones wouldn't suffice. Quicker sales means more overall revenue than waiting for sales of the higher priced models to happen.

With Apples purchase of that flash storage design firm in Israel, they could come up with a proprietary card storage system if they wanted to earn money with that company. Apple could sell the cards.

Isn't it about time that a plug in memory card carried 300 GB of data? Two years ago for a brief time Sandisc had an article about a 300 GB card that was supposed to go on sale that summer. The article was removed and the product didn't come out. What happened?

I wish I could raise Unicorns and fly them across the country. Zero chance an iPad get an SD Card reader. The 11" MBAs don't have it- why would an iPad? No incentive, nor does iOS even allow you to access it. The 32 and 64gb is where they have higher margins- why drop those?

Wanting something to happen and something actually happening are two very different things. Apple could release a 5-7" iPod Touch/iPad Mini, but they will never have a SD Card. iMacs didn't have them until 2009, and only because of photography needs/ease of use. They want you to use the iPad or iPhone as your camera. That all gears towards it.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, now THIS is a legitimate reason to announce it a month early.

Ouch....Monster in Law just bought a 16GB iPad2 on the weekend...guess she should of waited...
  • Reply 39 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Zero chance an iPad get an SD Card reader.

It has a SD reader with a dongle but it only reads camera files. It does not have SD card write capabilities though because there is technically no user access to a file system.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think the iPhone 3GS sells for about $450 out of contract.

The iPod Touch is $200 with 1/4 the display area and half the capacity of the entry level iPad.

The question is why would Apple lose money per unit sold when it doesn't have to? They didn't drop the iPod pricing because some company was putting out an inferior model that cost less, and the Kindle Fire is clearly inferior to the iPad. It can't even register 3 inputs at once.

At a hypothetical $399 per 16GB iPad sold, I seriously doubt Apple would be losing any money. Or did I misunderstand you?