Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.7.3 Build 11D46 to developers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Where is 10.6.9 with basic iCloud sync for us Core Duo Macbook users? There were rumors of this back in Aug '11 - http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...w_leopard.html

Anyone know if this has been canned?
  • Reply 22 of 38
    My only problem with Lion is the touch gestures for scroll bars in the iTunes store.

When using 2 fingers to scroll horizontally I find it too easy to accidentally go back rather than scroll left or right.

After reading similar posts on apple's forums I've changed my preferences to 3 or four fingers, but I'm sure it makes the gestures inconsistent with Safari (I'm typing this on a PC, so it's from memory).

If anyone else has any suggestions it would be appreciated.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    in my case, Lion works just fine.

Versions is truly useful, quicktime is nice (mplayer and vlc too), iTunes in full screen is great, I like mac os x maintain what apps and documents were opened after a reboot. Launchpad is easy and fast to use.

it's just trying to remove all useless fuss and tedious management of computers and it's what I want.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canoeberry View Post

Do not mock the people who think it is not ready or have read that it is not ready: it is not ready. Or, put another way, it's a step back in readiness from Snow Leopard, which was the best OS release in the history of OS releases.

no worry with time machine. (I use an apple time capsule).

-

just put a faster hdd . and yes, to relaunch adobe cs+office can take a time.. sigh. I use lion on a macpro (from 2009), without ssd, and it's all fine.

-

yes, I disagree : Snow Leopard was NOT that great. It was fine, yes, but Lion bring truly better tools.

-

okay you want bugs ? some javascript website can forced webkit(safari) to allocate all the memory, forcing a crash of the rendering engine and huge swapping before that.

I got that the last month.. ho my.

so yeah, it's not perfect. Perfection is the goal.

but in the meantime, ho my god.. I would never go back to Snow Leopard (or Leopard or Tiger or Panther or Cheetah)
  • Reply 25 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Been using it since DP1. Other than Safari, it has been pretty dang ready since even then.

My only issue? Get 10.7.3 out and fix this stupid Wi-Fi problem already!

What is the wi-fi problem? Didn't hear about that and not seen any myself. My only comments are the Finder is slow at times and I can wait two minutes for Safari to launch. Mail seems to have improved but for months my Apple Mail was a very hit or miss thing when it came to the SMTP side of things. That seems to have settled down now.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

no worry with time machine. (I use an apple time capsule).

-

just put a faster hdd . and yes, to relaunch adobe cs+office can take a time.. sigh. I use lion on a macpro (from 2009), without ssd, and it's all fine.

-

yes, I disagree : Snow Leopard was NOT that great. It was fine, yes, but Lion bring truly better tools.

-

okay you want bugs ? some javascript website can forced webkit(safari) to allocate all the memory, forcing a crash of the rendering engine and huge swapping before that.

I got that the last month.. ho my.

so yeah, it's not perfect. Perfection is the goal.

but in the meantime, ho my god.. I would never go back to Snow Leopard (or Leopard or Tiger or Panther or Cheetah)

Re the last part ... I have to agree, I always get a shock when I boot up a previous OS X after a few months of a new one (I keep clone of entire HD from previous installs for a year or so after an upgrade of that magnitude). All my fond memories fade quickly once I realize so many features I now take for granted are not there.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Such as returning scroll bar arrows to the user interface. Create an option to turn them on and off if you must, but lack of scroll arrows have been the most maddening change from Snow Leopard to Lion for this user.

you can turn scroll bars on but arrows?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    1) Launch pad configuration

I use a control panel to control the app display in LP. Without this, I find LP to be an unusable mess. Any word on adjustments here?

2) Mission Control (with a second monitor)

Before Lion, I could use spaces to move windows between spaces AND monitors. I'd love to hear that Apple is addressing this seemingly artificial limitation.

3) Full Screen Apps (especially with multiple monitors)

Full screen apps are a great idea, but why the funky behaviors? For example, creating a new message in Mail will force you into a modal state that prevent the user from moving the new message window from centered at the bottom of the screen. Why? I often need to reference some info in another message. Because of this approach, I need to close and save my message, reference the info, then open the message again. I uses to just slide the window over a bit.

Also, full screen apps make the second monitor useless. I'd like to use fullscreen apps, and be able to drag windows to the second screen.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    Is this a Lion problem?

When I download a rar or zip or whatever and decompress it, sometimes the files will be locked and I need to open them individually. A message will pop up telling me that I downloaded an application from the internet. Really awful when this happens to a manga I want to read.

EDIT: Andysol and DocNo42, please kiss Apple's ass elsewhere you blind mindless apologists. And learn how to edit your fucking posts.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Momus View Post

Is this a Lion problem?

When I download a rar or zip or whatever and decompress it, sometimes the files will be locked and I need to open them individually. A message will pop up telling me that I downloaded an application from the internet. Really awful when this happens to a manga I want to read.

The former sounds like permission issues but the latter is for your protection and very sensible.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The former sounds like permission issues but the latter is for your protection and very sensible.

It is very sensible, when it's actually an application I'm opening and not an image I want to open in Preview.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

1) Launch pad configuration

I use a control panel to control the app display in LP. Without this, I find LP to be an unusable mess. Any word on adjustments here?

Why would you ever use launchpad when you've had spotlight since Tiger?
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

A swipe and two clicks is easier than typing.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Just a quickie.

Please fix the dual screen / full screen apps issue. I didn't go out and pay good money for a second screen to have it rendered useless by using an app in full screen mode.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

It is very sensible, when it's actually an application I'm opening and not an image I want to open in Preview.

I saw you specified a 'rar or zip' sorry I missed the whatever ...
  • Reply 35 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Do not mock the people who think it is not ready or have read that it is not ready: it is not ready. Or, put another way, it's a step back in readiness from Snow Leopard, which was the best OS release in the history of OS releases.

Here are just some of the issues:

Time Machine backups stopped working for some people, especially when done over your LAN to a remote hard drive. Just ... stopped ... working ... no matter what was done. I was immune for a while and then BAM I cannot get them to work, or they take 1 hour instead of 2 minutes.

Safari is a huge memory leaking sieve of an app. I think this applies on all platforms though.

Lion is configured differently in terms of paging/swapping, the way it uses virtual memory in general. The side effect of this is my 4Gb of RAM computer now swaps when previously it didn't at all. But what I suspected and now have (sort of) confirmed is: it doesn't matter if you have an SSD. Without an SSD you get the spinny ball of death routinely, with SSD you can swap quite a bit and everything works just fine. This leads me to believe that Apple developed Lion on computers with SSD leaving behind the loyal customers who have old fashioned HDD instead: namely about 99% of us.

Restoring apps after reboot is an illusion: applications cannot run between reboots, but they fake it really well. But only if you have an SSD. If you have an HDD the restore takes so long, your reboot process is suddenly a 5 or 10 minute long ordeal as the OS pages everything back into memory slowly. It restores a screen shot and only when the app is finally loaded can you interact with it. Again, this is a strategy that works great for the iPhone/iPad which are SSD based computers, and also OK if you have a new SSD-based Mac.

So there's a lot to like about Lion but if you think the performance is better than Snow Leopard, you must have bought a new computer with an SSD drive. Otherwise it is infuriatingly slower after the upgrade, and somewhat less reliable.

If I could have my cake and eat it, Apple would redesign Lion so that it has one set of features and configuration parameters for HDD systems and another for SSD systems. That will never happen, so if you want to upgrade to Lion plan on upgrading your hard drive to an SSD. That is the single best impovement BY FAR that you can make for your computer nowadays. I am still in shock at the performance gain from doing that.

Backup issues are not apples fault. It's the manufacturer. I had a seagate NAS raid 1 backup that worked fine on snow leopard. Switched to lion- it didn't work because they didn't do an update (and it still hasn't been updated to my knowledge although they've admitted the problem). I went out and bought a time capsule. Zero issues.

There isn't some hdd/sdd conspiracy. Example- they just made new MacBook pros with lion and hdds. Not to mention- I have an hdd and it all works fine. We also have a MacBook air and the difference isn't night and day. Just about par for the course. Ive experienced no slowdown switching to SL to Lion on approx 8 computers I've upgraded. You might want to check your hd to make sure it's not dying.

Lastly- if you have heavy intensive programs that take forever to load- uncheck the box to relaunch and your reboot will be just like before. It's an "option" that you didnt even have before! For those that just have mail and iTunes open and restart, it takes no more time. That's why the choice is there. Just because it's not better for you doesn't mean it's not better for others.

Quote:

EDIT: Andysol and DocNo42, please kiss Apple's ass elsewhere you blind mindless apologists. And learn how to edit your fucking posts.

If you followed the forum regularly, you'd know im not an applogist and complain about plenty (I.e.- just yesterday I complained about an iTunes/iOS error bug I've been having about wireless syncing.) I also disagree with plenty of other things.

People who complain now are likely the same that complained about SL when it came out. Get over your old paranoid ways. I know some issues are legit, but overall and as a whole- its monumentally a better OS.

EDIT: Momus- Try not to be a bigger asshole than your previous post. Also- what exactly did I post that needed editing?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:

Because LaunchPad is much faster, as others here mentioned.

The caveat here is that the interface was poop until I could gain control over what apps appeared. Now I literally have my apps at my finger tips. A quick pinch on my trackpad is all it takes. I am also a heavy spotlight user, but LP (tweaked to my liking) runs circles around spotlight as a launcher.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

If I could have my cake and eat it, Apple would redesign Lion so that it has one set of features and configuration parameters for HDD systems and another for SSD systems. That will never happen, so if you want to upgrade to Lion plan on upgrading your hard drive to an SSD. That is the single best impovement BY FAR that you can make for your computer nowadays. I am still in shock at the performance gain from doing that.

Yes you are right. It is SSDs that have enabled Apple to blur the distinction between loaded and unloaded apps. The changes in Lion's app model merely reflect changes in hardware. It doesn't quite work on older systems. But there is an argument to be made that if you use the OS that your computer came with you can't go wrong.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What is the wi-fi problem? Didn't hear about that and not seen any myself.

Consider yourself lucky. For me ... it just drops the signal. Sometimes it reacquires it right away ... other times it can be a few minutes. Most of the time it is only annoying but when I'm trying to download a rather large file it quickly goes beyond annoyance to cursing Apple.

During those times when it takes several minutes to reconnect, I can open up my old laptop with 10.4 and hav no problem. Tiger doesn't drop the connection. So now I'v started downloading the large files with my laptop and then transferring them to the new one. Not very efficient but neither is loosing the connection and having to start the download over again.

HA! Just now I hit the submit button for this reply and got the "you're not connected to the internet screen" ...