New RIM CEO will not change strategy on PlayBook, BlackBerry 10

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Like so many others RIM laughed when the iPhone came out. They had no clue what titanic shifts in the market were unleashed at the time.

From what I read RIM was in disbelief:

"RIM had a complete internal panic when Apple unveiled the iPhone in 2007, a former employee revealed this weekend. The BlackBerry maker is now known to have held multiple all-hands meetings on January 10 that year, a day after the iPhone was on stage, and to have made outlandish claims about its features. Apple was effectively accused of lying as it was supposedly impossible that a device could have such a large touchscreen but still get a usable lifespan away from a power outlet.

The iPhone "couldn't do what [Apple was] demonstrating without an insanely power hungry processor, it must have terrible battery life," Shacknews poster Kentor heard from his former colleagues of the time. "Imagine their surprise [at RIM] when they disassembled an iPhone for the first time and found that the phone was battery with a tiny logic board strapped to it."
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Hey AI Mods:

You got any hosting/file sharing stuff going on we simple posters don't know about?... or on the wrong side of SOPA?...

Because the forum server appears to be on the wrong end of a MU-TD or a DoS attack... just sayin'.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpackman View Post

Shoals & reefs sighted. Full speed ahead.

We'll just get a little closer to shore so we can wave.....
  • Reply 24 of 45
    So RIMM final shed Dumb and Dumber. Now their market department can release their latest slogan.

"Life is Tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid!" Keep up the good work team.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    If Symbian is a burning platform, then Windows Mobile is a sunken shipwreck. No doubt Microsoft have compensated Elop very well for the move.
  • Reply 26 of 45

Quote:

Despite the fact that it has a new CEO at the helm, Research in Motion will not see a major shakeup in the near future, and will continue to support the PlayBook tablet and the BlackBerry 10 platform as previously planned.

Here Ya' Go...
  • Reply 27 of 45
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

"RIM had a complete internal panic when Apple unveiled the iPhone in 2007, a former employee revealed this weekend. The BlackBerry maker is now known to have held multiple all-hands meetings on January 10 that year, a day after the iPhone was on stage, and to have made outlandish claims about its features. Apple was effectively accused of lying as it was supposedly impossible that a device could have such a large touchscreen but still get a usable lifespan away from a power outlet.

The iPhone "couldn't do what [Apple was] demonstrating without an insanely power hungry processor, it must have terrible battery life," Shacknews poster Kentor heard from his former colleagues of the time. "Imagine their surprise [at RIM] when they disassembled an iPhone for the first time and found that the phone was battery with a tiny logic board strapped to it."

That's the difference between RIM (and others), and Apple.

RIM, "we can't do it". >Sigh< It does not get done.

Apple, "We can't do it"...

SJ, "Yes we can"! And they do,,,,,,
  • Reply 28 of 45

So...

They've transitioned from Balsy and Lazy to Stymy and Hiney... that's just sillie.

• Reply 29 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's even more sad that RiM is failing so miserably yet it's still been one of the few profitable handset vendors since the iPhone's debut. In December 2011 (pre-holiday quarter )they reported $265 million in net profit. That's down 71% YoY but that's still good compared to everyone since they were still profitable. Unfortunately they have nothing else viable to prop up their company so I don't much opportunity for them to get out of this in the time they'd likely need.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ahhhh! Just looking at this beauty makes me cry!

Now seriously, can anybody explain to me, how sticking to the given RIM-strategys could possibly prevent RIM from bankruptcy in the near future?
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Dulicate?
  • Reply 32 of 45
    jingojingo Posts: 118member
    Surely the problem isn't so much with the strategy, but the fact that they will be so late in executing it. BlackBerry 10 and the PlayBook have been moderately well received and most commentators have said that RIM are heading in the right direction as far as the products are concerned - they just should have had them on the market at least a year ago.

But, let's face it, they haven't, so what do you want them to do now? Dump this new platform which is considered to be a viable way forward in favour of what? Or simply give up and sell themselves to some other company?

I can entirely understand why neither of these options is any more appealing than the one they have decided to stick with.

Anyone else have any bright ideas? I don't hear any being thrown into the ring, just people caviling because the new CEO says they are sticking to their current strategy, which is the least worthwhile form of criticism imaginable.

They are definitely in a cr*p position, but it seems to me that sticking to their current strategy is the least worst option. Unless you can come up with a constructively better option then it's pointless jerking off to criticise them for it.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's even more sad that RiM is failing so miserably yet it's still been one of the few profitable handset vendors since the iPhone's debut. In December 2011 (pre-holiday quarter )they reported $265 million in net profit. That's down 71% YoY but that's still good compared to everyone since they were still profitable. Unfortunately they have nothing else viable to prop up their company so I don't much opportunity for them to get out of this in the time they'd likely need.

The Titanic was still dry and comfortable soon after hitting an iceberg. But its bleak future was pretty clear.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    My former Canadian partner was constantly having problems with his BB - their first iteration with a touch screen, but he still supported them. I can understand that - they created something no one else had at the time and they really were top of the game for years. The problem is they didn't recognize that other companies were going to catch up and quickly pass them.

You hate to say it, but they were a one-trick pony. They lived and are dying by their mobile email service - kind of just like AOL did on the home internet access front. They led, now it can't even be said that they are following, because they're not.

Or going back further - and the thing that RIM really crushed when they first came to market is the pager and all those once popular pager companies. Clearly they are still around, but they're existing on legacy systems for places like hospitals, making assumptions that places like this are not wired into any of several networks. Doctors should be not just getting pages to inform them of patient condition, but rather should be getting mobile updates with charts, X-rays, stats real-time on their iPhone or iPad. At least this is where things are heading.

RIM should be punished, or the former co-ceo's should be punished at least. I'm sure there are bright, forward thinking people who work there - but their culture of arrogance has squashed their ability to move beyond their single relevant product.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Surely the problem isn't so much with the strategy, but the fact that they will be so late in executing it. BlackBerry 10 and the PlayBook have been moderately well received and most commentators have said that RIM are heading in the right direction as far as the products are concerned - they just should have had them on the market at least a year ago.

But, let's face it, they haven't, so what do you want them to do now? Dump this new platform which is considered to be a viable way forward in favour of what? Or simply give up and sell themselves to some other company?

I can entirely understand why neither of these options is any more appealing than the one they have decided to stick with.

Anyone else have any bright ideas? I don't hear any being thrown into the ring, just people caviling because the new CEO says they are sticking to their current strategy, which is the least worthwhile form of criticism imaginable.

They are definitely in a cr*p position, but it seems to me that sticking to their current strategy is the least worst option. Unless you can come up with a constructively better option then it's pointless jerking off to criticise them for it.

I agree that we all, myself included, find it easier to point out the problems than come up with a viable positive solution. The problem is this, for me at least - RIM has been "staying the course" for the past few years and as much as their new OS has promised relevancy when it releases, they've not been able to hit release dates for just about anything, hardware or software related.

If you're a share holder and you hear that they're sticking to plan, the next question had better be - is this a plan that can be executed on within what timeframe? 4th quarter is long way away for new phones with a new os - and that's assuming they're that close - something I highly, highly, doubt.

It will be interesting to see how things play out. My bet is that they'll miss launch dates for both playbook and new phones / os. They'll be given through the end of the year by the BB using financial sector because they have to give them the time given the dolts on the Street don't want to be proven even more wrong right now. I see lots of people losing lots of money with RIM - which has already happened, but will only get worse.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

To quote Michael Dell: "Shut the company down and return what is left to the shareholders before there is nothing left to return."

Not that I mean this as serious advice, no company would ever want to admit to failure that openly while there are still other options. And much more importantly, closing it down now would hurt a lot of third parties, like their employees and suppliers. Rather shrink first somewhat giving all those affected more time to look for an alternative. In a sense, keeping the company running could be considered a social plan for its employees, suppliers, landlords etc..

Selling the company would be somewhat more acceptable alternative to shutting down (even if we look at Palm it in the end meant shutting down as and those buying RIM might only keep some of its research and production resources).
  • Reply 37 of 45
    They're dead.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Simple things like the little touchpad failing way too much for consumers will be what kills RIM.

No, we won't honor anything out of warranty. Who do you think we are, the Apple Store?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    There's a three-word phrase used by many rigid, backward-thinking apparatchiks.

"Stay the course."

Those words have been uttered by many bureaucrats and politicians who didn't understand the present and were afraid of the future.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

. "Imagine their surprise [at RIM] when they disassembled an iPhone for the first time and found that the phone was battery with a tiny logic board strapped to it."

And once they found out how to shrink an ultra long lasting battery, the form will follow. Anyway, like your story.