Tim Cook exposes the lie that Steve Jobs ignored philanthropy

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Thinking is not doing.

Apple may have contributed to the Hospital and to Red, but the article mentions nothing whatsoever that Steve did.

Except to "think about it".

?It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.?

-- Mark Twain

Your arrogance about the fact that people (especially the very wealthy) who donate to foundations, charities, etc., should some how owe the public full disclosure that they have provided either monetarily, by service, action or endorsement is amazing to me! Do you similarly think that all should have to divulge our annual income and the amount we give to these same beneficiaries.

Are we now to expect you to be the first in line to comply with the aforementioned disclosure?

P.S. The author's article used "Apple" and "Steve Jobs" interchangeably as if they were one in the same. I would be careful about making the same stupid mistake -- after all Steve was the CEO, Head of the Board of directors for much of his tenure and a founder but I hardly suspect they had a joint checking account.
  • Reply 63 of 70

Thanks! -Not just a bunch of Apple Fanboys - You have an intelligent group going on here..
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Steve had given in many ways: great products, great services, great ideas, great companies, and most of all hope - hope that if companies have laser-like focus, relentless innovation, and flawless execution, they can complete globally based on quality and innovaton.

I studied his open-book life and has recently published an insightful article on him, "Steve Jobs - Who Is He?" on Amazon Kindle. Please check it out at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZZQIHI

[QUOTE=AppleInsider;2036539]Speaking to employees, Apple's chief executive outlined how the company has participated in corporate philanthropy for years, a subject the company didn't aggressively boast about in public under Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    This is a sad state of affairs when we are now seeing a mac vs pc(ish0 argument over charity. Grow the hell up! Jesus christ people do you think think starving, aids stricken terminally ill people and children give a crap about who is more public about donating to a cause?! The fact that they have donated so much to charity and continue to do so is admirable enough. This is the kind of troll crap that makes me ashamed to be a mac fan. Peace!
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Apple needs to give much more for a company of their size. Whether they choose to boast about it or not is not the issue, the real issue is the tiny amount they are giving away for a company of their size. You can compare them to major corporations of their size, and apple come out poorly.

to quote this article

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/...=hp_c2&is_LR=1

Quote:

The campaign's founder, U2 frontman Bono, further disclosed Friday in a letter to the New York Times that Apple's (RED) line has amounted to "tens of millions of dollars that have transformed the lives of more than 2 million Africans through HIV testing, treatment and counseling."

That is a significant impact and sum of money, even over the five-year history of the campaign, but the latter is still minuscule in comparison to Apple's profits over that same period. Yet with virtually every other Apple product outperforming these two limited-edition (RED) items in terms of gross sales, this effort doesn't cut it, no matter how you slice it.

that gives a much better picture than apple insider have created here. Editor of Apple insider (take note): this is not good enough, please put these kind of stories in their proper perspective, lives are at stake. Only truth can lead to results. Otherwise Apple will be under no pressure to do anything more? For a company that claims to be nice and even spiritual, this is not on, and should be brought more to the public's attention.

Quote:

When Jobs became CEO of Apple in 1997, he reportedly halted all philanthropic programs and said something to the effect of "let's wait until we are profitable."

Shame he never got round to it..
  • Reply 67 of 70

Daniel Dinger’s February 2, 2012 article provides evidence of a characteristic in Steve Jobs’s leadership I discuss in a book I recently published titled  STEVE JOBS: More Than Just A "Ding" in The Universe: Characteristics in His Leadership—a commitment to ethics and integrity.  Leaders with a commitment to ethics and integrity see ethics as a systemic movement in a company.  Their actions at companies involve ethics.  They view integrity as a moral and practical necessity, whereby example and policy establish an approach to ethical management, giving companies reputations as ethical leaders.  They view their roles as advocates of principle-centered leadership, with a commitment to ethics.  They make a living in ways that do no harm to others.  They tell the truth and show commitment to others.  They embody an organization’s ethical principles, showing constancy, reliability, and congruity.  In 2006, Steve Jobs announced Project RED.  Project RED helped launch an initiative U2’s Bono and Bobby Shriver created to donate contributions from the sale of each PRODUCT RED product to The Global Fund.  Funds from The Global Fund are used to help those women and children in Africa HIV/AIDS affects.

• Reply 68 of 70
    Raven113pRaven113p Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is silly, no "Foundation" is "quiet" or a secret...just ask the IRS. And there would be no Christianity if Jesus hadn't made his miracles public....
  • Reply 69 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    We live in an upside-down world. Capitalists should be praised for creating jobs, products and services people need. Instead everyone wants everything for free and the bigger the company, the more people and politicians threaten them with boycotts and such unless THEY are given MORE, MORE, MORE. Insanity.
    Except there isn't real capitalism. Companies are given tax breaks, corporate welfare, etc. All I ever hear is who is laying off employees, never about who's hiring.  
  • Reply 70 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I never had a single doubt. I admire the fact, unlike some I could mention, Steve kept his philanthropy private.

It's a core teaching in Buddhism
    As in Christianity