Apple adds Genius movie, TV recommendations to Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Apple has added its Genius recommendation system from iTunes to Apple TV, offering to suggest titles related to previous purchases.

The suggestions are available from new Genius menu options under both Movies and TV, opening listings of related content.

iTunes already provides users with related recommendations in its optional Genius Sidebar, so the change is primarily a convenience to users looking for interesting content.

Apple highlighted sales of over 4.2 million Apple TVs over the past five quarters since the company transitioned to an iOS-based device, although after noting the sales figures, Tim Cook said, "in the scheme of things, if you dollarize it, we still classify it as a hobby."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    I thought the Apple TV was a rumored product and not released to the public? Is this what the panel is going to look like?

EDIT: Oh yes, the little Apple TV set-top box is what they are talking about, sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ads or adds?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    There's two d's in "adds," genius.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Apple highlighted sales of over 4.2 million Apple TVs over the past five quarters since the company transitioned to an iOS-based device, although after noting the sales figures, Tim Cook said, "in the scheme of things, if you dollarize it, we still classify it as a hobby."

You know you're doing well when $420 million gross revenue is just a hobby Not to mention the increased revenue seen from purchases made through the ATV. Must be nice!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

There's two d's in "adds," genius.

The author made a spelling error. They most likely know the difference between ad and add. Don't act like you've never made a spelling or grammatical error.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Where's Hulu Apple?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,133member
    Excellent. AI sends out a news flash (!) on a new feature in an apple product. Super, inside scoop, guys!

Meanwhile, the latest update from Apple broke my mac:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/03/latest...-like-quicken/

But hey, likely there's a new iPad coming, iPhone 5, iTV, some pointless textbooks. Groovy.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

You know you're doing well when $420 million gross revenue is just a hobby Not to mention the increased revenue seen from purchases made through the ATV. Must be nice!

It will be sad if Apple's "hobby" takes in more profit than all of Amazon for a quarter.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I wish Apple would bring the Visualizer feature to Apple TV. I'd love to listen to music on our big-screen while being sucked into the hypnotic pattern and colors.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    I noticed this this morning, and thought it had always been there.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member
    I'm not seeing the new options on mine...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

I wish Apple would bring the Visualizer feature to Apple TV. I'd love to listen to music on our big-screen while being sucked into the hypnotic pattern and colors.

You know, I was thinking the same thing recently.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

You know, I was thinking the same thing recently.

I suspect that someone, well-connected, but living alone in the Amazon jungle, already had similar thoughts.

Not so unlikely for someone to think likewise, given that there's approx 7 billion of us.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Where's Hulu Apple?

Or HBO Go?