Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wasn't implying Ars was lying in any way but I see your point and withdraw my previous comments. I certainly didn't think it through.

Well in light of the comment below I don't know what to think now.

I wonder what the simulator reports from Xcode.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Originally Posted by MacRumor

The problem with speculation about these resolution entries representing the iPad 3 is that the new device should still report 1024x768 as its resolution. With the higher pixel density intended to increase sharpness rather than screen real estate, web content would appear far too small on the device if it reported itself at its true 2048x1536 resolution. This situation can be seen with Retina-capable iPhone 4/4S and iPod touch models, which report their resolutions as 480x320 instead of their actual 960x640 resolutions..

• Reply 22 of 60
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    If iOS6 is 2012, iOS7 is 2013, iOS8 is 2014, iOS9 is 2015....

I wonder if iOS & OSX will merge to become iOS X in 2016 on Apple's 40th Birthday.

Add ARM based MacBooks and iMacs to usher in a new era.

Just a thought lol.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Was it Einstein that said the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits? I think he's also credited with saying that there are two things that are infinite - the universe and human stupidity and he wasn't sure about the universe.

There is genius in his humor, too.

Human Nature
  • Reply 24 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The only thing remotely interesting about this story is the Ip address. People at Apple do have a sense of humor though. Maybe they made a bet to see if it would show up as a story.

I certainly would. It's not like it would be an elaborate prank. It certainly gets free press.

I've been saying that if Apple were to release a larger iPod Touc, which would mean an optimized UI and new SDK, that this would be the time to do it. That makes me think that perhaps iOS 6 could be a possibility. I don't think much of a possibility but I am thinking it may be smart to rule it out completely even thought WWDC seems more ideal.

That said, with ML coming in Summer and Apple still not yet demoing the new OS that seems ripe for WWDC, too. I don't think it makes sense for iOS 6 and ML to both be demoed at the same event. That leaves either iOS 6 gets demoed next week with ML demo at WWDC or (what I think is more likely) an event in April/May for new Macs that also demos ML and iOS 6 demo at WWDC, with next week being all about the iPad HD, AppleTV HD, and iTS HD.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Lucky for you that your superior intelligence allowed you to pick an i device. Must be nice sitting way up their on your high horse looking down upon all.

I don't look down upon everybody. I definitely do look down on Fandroids though and the view is mighty nice from up here where I am.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Your chart didn't work, superior one , you are a credit to the i community.

http://www.cultofandroid.com/3688/oc...source=twitter
  • Reply 26 of 60
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Hmmm.....

The iOS 5.1 Beta 3 was released Jan 9 and has been very stable.

AFAIK, there is nothing in this beta that is specific to the rumored retina display and other new features/capabilities of iPad 3.

Certainly, these new features/capabilities must be opened up to be exploited by developers.

I suspect that there will need to be a new release of iOS for iPad 3 and a new SDK for developers.

In the past, Apple has temporarily forked iOS for iPad -- then recombined it into the next iOS release.

So we could see something like the following on March 7:

-- iOS 5.1 release for iPhone and iPod and iPad 1 & iPad 2

-- iOS 5.2 release for iPad 3 and ATV 3 (temporary fork)

-- iOS 5.2 SDK release for developers (temporary fork)

Then at WWDC

-- iOS 6.0 SDK release for developers (all applicable devices)

Then at iPhone next release

-- iOS 6.0 for all iDevices

• Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:

...with ML coming in Summer and Apple still not yet demoing the new OS that seems ripe for WWDC, too.

I don't think Apple is putting too much emphasis on ML as the major focus of WWDC. Since it is still a Lion and not some other cat it will likely be similar to SL still being a Leopard. Mostly under the hood improvements along with the features that have already been leaked by the NDAs. Not enough to fill a whole WWDC IMO. So hopefully iOS 6 will get a preview.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

If iOS6 is 2012, iOS7 is 2013, iOS8 is 2014, iOS9 is 2015....

I wonder if iOS & OSX will merge to become iOS X in 2016 on Apple's 40th Birthday.

Add ARM based MacBooks and iMacs to usher in a new era.

Just a thought lol.

Is the X part of the OS X version number still? I know it was originally because it was the sequel to MacOS 9. But "Mac" has been dropped from the name now, so did they move the X out of the version number at the same time?

OS X v7.3

iOS v5.0
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:

I've been saying that if Apple were to release a larger iPod Touc, which would mean an optimized UI and new SDK, that this would be the time to do it. That makes me think that perhaps iOS 6 could be a possibility. I don't think much of a possibility but I am thinking it may be smart to rule it out completely even thought WWDC seems more ideal.

Why would a larger Touch need a new SDK, wouldn't it just be the same as programming an iPad?
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think Apple is putting too much emphasis on ML as the major focus of WWDC. Since it is still a Lion and not some other cat it will likely be similar to SL still being a Leopard. Mostly under the hood improvements along with the features that have already bee leaked by the NDAs. Not enough to fill a whole WWDC IMO. So hopefully iOS 6 will get a preview.

I would expect a proper demo of the main features. It won't be two demos at two events like they did in the past but it should be one. I'd like to see it on new MBPs with HiDPI IPS displays.. but who wouldn't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why would a larger Touch need a new SDK, wouldn't it just be the same as programming an iPad?

I'm not following. The iPad got a new SDK when it arrived so why wouldn't you think a new size wouldn't also get an updated SDK?
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:

Is the X part of the OS X version number still? I know it was originally because it was the sequel to MacOS 9. But "Mac" has been dropped from the name now, so did they move the X out of the version number at the same time?

OS X v7.3

iOS v5.0

Not yet. About This Mac for ML still shows 10.8.

I wonder if this rebranding might usher in new OS X based PCs that aren't Macs. Perhaps something designed for Enterprise or emerging markets that are cheaper.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:

I'd like to see it on new MBPs with HiDPI IPS displays.. but who wouldn't.

I'd like to see it running on new Mac Pros with Thunderbolt

Quote:

I wonder if this rebranding might usher in new OS X based PCs that aren't Macs. Perhaps something designed for Enterprise or emerging markets that are cheaper.

If we don't get new Mac Pros soon I'm about ready to build a hackintosh with dual Sandy Bridge Xeons
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

I'm not following. The iPad got a new SDK when it arrived so why wouldn't you think a new size wouldn't also get an updated SDK?

I guess you're right, it probably would in the general case. But I am hoping they would find some way to avoid making devs deal with yet another resolution, for example using the iPad 1 resolution but squished on to a smaller screen.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

OS X v7.3

iOS v5.0

According Apple's official website the current version is simply OS X Lion and next version is simply OS X Mountain Lion. Interestingly there is no mention whatsoever of the version numbers anywhere. Not sure if this a recent change or if they mention the numbers somewhere else.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'd like to see it running on new Mac Pros with Thunderbolt

If we don't get new Mac Pros soon I'm about ready to build a hackintosh with dual Sandy Bridge Xeons

I'd be willing to bet you'll get your new Mac Pro... real soon now!

Additionally, I expect to see further upgrades to Apple's Pro apps to remove the remaining impediments to the pro editors out there.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:

Not yet. About This Mac for ML still shows 10.8.

Ah ok. The "10" did not go with the "Mac."

Quote:

*Shiver* Maybe a good idea, but too reminiscent of the last time Apple did not have Steve.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:

Ah ok. The "10" did not go with the "Mac."

*Shiver* Maybe a good idea, but too reminiscent of the last time Apple did not have Steve.

I believe the disruption of the enterprise is well underway with the iPhone and the iPad

The new Apple is the minimalist, focused incarnation of Steve -- and that's his greatest legacy!
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The new Apple is the minimalist, focused incarnation of Steve -- and that's his greatest legacy!

I wouldn't be surprised if at the Mac event where I think they will demo ML they change to their accounting for Macs to GAAP and announce free yearly updates of OS X for Mac owners. Jobs already said that Macs are just devices and all other devices they sell get free updates.

They've already dropped the price from $129 to $29 but when you look at their Mac growth and the crossover between OSes the cost per Mac development has probably dropped a lot more than their OS X prices have.

This also gives them the unique opportunity to market free OS updates with Macs to make sales even easier for consumers wanting to invest in a Mac and it also allows them to get a lot higher percentage of Mac users on the latest OS which helps their business costs, even to the point that if there is some bug in a 2 generation old OS they can inform the customer that they need to update to resolve the issue like they do with iOS.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if at the Mac event where I think they will demo ML they change to their accounting for Macs to GAAP and announce free yearly updates of OS X for Mac owners. Jobs already said that Macs are just devices and all other devices they sell get free updates.

They've already dropped the price from $129 to $29 but when you look at their Mac growth and the crossover between OSes the cost per Mac development has probably dropped a lot more than their OS X prices have.

This also gives them the unique opportunity to market free OS updates with Macs to make sales even easier for consumers wanting to invest in a Mac and it also allows them to get a lot higher percentage of Mac users on the latest OS which helps their business costs, even to the point that if there is some bug in a 2 generation old OS they can inform the customer that they need to update to resolve the issue like they do with iOS.

I like that a lot!
  • Reply 40 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They're trying to make it simple enough that even Gatorguy, Ima zzz, and wizard69 can understand it.

So far, they've only managed to get it down to second grade level, so they have a ways to go.

Still waiting for your reply to my challenge in this thread, post 72

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=145061&page=2

I kept it real simple, just a couple of sentences. I'm sure you can understand it.