AT&T and the FCC

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
*** Must Read ***

I urge everybody to file a complaint with the FCC. They will examine if there is a policy violation on unlimited plans regarding bandwidth throttling. Every complaint has to be answered by AT&T in writing within 45 days. Phone 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) or go online at
www.fcc.gov/complaints

*** Example Text ***

I wish to file an informal complaint with the FCC against AT&T Wireless. I want to examine the possibility of “Policy Violations” and/or “Violations of Policy that are In Development” on the part of AT&T.

AT&T has determined that I am in the top 5% of monthly data consumption users, but has not clearly defined in specific terms (either in Kilobytes of Megabytes) how much monthly data usage they arbitrarily consider too much. And if this were a genuinely defined “Unlimited Data Plan”, it should not matter.

I am under a 2-year contract with AT&T’s grandfathered “Unlimited Data Plan”. I pay on time each and every month for this signed, committed, and contracted wireless service. I have also recently paid to upgrade my handset to an iPhone 4S 64GB for the express purpose optimizing my data speeds and enhancing my data performance.

AT&T banners itself as a “Network of Possibilities” offering 2 layers of network technology that deliver 4G or “Fourth-Generation Wireless” speeds that encompass HPSA+ (High Speed Packet Access Plus) and LTE (Long Term Evolution) wireless technologies. Yet, AT&T is limiting my data by invoking “Bandwidth Throttling” and/or “Bandwidth Capping” at rates that are considerably less than even accepted 3G speeds.

“Unlimited” is defined by Merriam-Webster as:

1. lacking any controls : unrestricted

2. boundless, infinite

By Pure Definition, AT&T cannot sell an Unlimited Service by imposing limits.

I believe that AT&T has knowingly misled their customer base by offering an “Unlimited Data Plan” to capture early market-share. I believe to compensate, AT&T is now imposing intentional and substantial data limits. I believe that AT&T has oversubscribed their network capabilities while failing to upgrade their network capacities to support current market demand. I believe that we the customers are left holding-the-bag because AT&T has failed in the proper “Capacity Planning” and “Capacity Execution” of their network.

*** Additionally ***

(1) Be Sure To File An "Informal Complaint" vs. a "Formal Complaint". An Informal Complaints Insures That There Is No Cost To You. A Formal Complaint Is Used To Lay The Groundwork For A Law Suit ... Big $$$.

(2) Be Sure To Use The Term "Violations of Policies That Are In Development". This Covers Grey Areas Which Are Yet To Be Defined Under Current Laws.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pdr13pdr13 Posts: 4member
    I have noticed that my wireless network speeds have temporarily improved.

I am not sure if this is due to the FCC complaint that I filed against AT&T, or the small claims court decision that was ruled against AT&T.

I am sure that this is not a permanent fixture for those of us who still retain an unlimited plan. But it is a nice perk for those of us who have taken some level of action.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdr13 View Post

I have noticed that my wireless network speeds have temporarily improved.

AT&T has changed their throttle cap to 3GB in response to the court decision.