Apple unveils new Apple TV with 1080p video output, simpler interface

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    mkralmkral Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A nod to Steve Jobs. Notice the e-mail address associated with the account.

nice catch!
  • Reply 22 of 78
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

There's no way Apple's gonna let old models have it. I hope to be wrong, but I'll bet I'm not.

I agree, probably too much to ask, though I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised...
  • Reply 23 of 78
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Still requires a computer on and iTunes open. No sale.

Try again next year, Apple.

What the heck are you talking about!?
  • Reply 24 of 78
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

.... what about ability to run separate from a PC running iTunes....

Another clueless comment from someone who has never used one (or even bothered to check its actual functionality).
  • Reply 25 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What the heck are you talking about!?

There's no way to just ACCESS local stuff without having a computer on and iTunes open. I can't have a shared iTunes library stored on a hard drive attached directly to my home network and expect it to open on the Apple TV. Works on proper computers, not the Apple TV. Not buying one until I can do that one simple thing. There's no sense in being forced to have a computer on and iTunes open.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

This isn't enough to get me to replace my old ATV, but it's enough for me to finally add one to my last TV. Now I would like to see new routers that double as an iTunes server, cause I do stream content from my own library, and having to have a computer on for that is a drag.

Many NAS'es have iTunes Server in it that you can use and then your computer can store its contents to the NAS as a file share, which then Apple TV can reference that iTunes library via iTunes server. The NAS is always on at that point. I only have a Macbook Pro and use it in this sense...although I never truly use iTunes Server, but my NAS does support it. NAS'es have dropped in price dramatically as well.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I was a bit underwhelmed by the ATV3 presentation - after all the good comments on here last week, I was thinking "that's it? 1080p and a redesigned [and arguably no better] interface?" What about internal memory again, what about ability to run separate from a PC running iTunes, what about some nice surprise announcements about Hulu or Amazon Prime?

Also, not clear to me whether this new interface is *only* for the ATV3, or if a software update will also bring it to ATV2 -- anyone pick up on that?

You don't need a PC running iTunes. Everything is streamed either via AirPlay, iCloud, iTunes, or third parties like Netflix.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Actually, I hardly access my computer's content from my Apple TV. 90% of the content I view on my Apple TV is streaming from the internet, whether that's movies I rent from the iTunes store, movies I view on Netflix, videos I watch on YouTube or Vimeo, or content I've purchased previously on iTunes that I can now stream right from Apple's servers without having to connect to my computer.

Then about 9% of the time is me streaming content from my iPhone straight to my Apple TV. Mostly music, sometimes videos or photos that I've taken.

That leaves about 1% of the time when I'll load up my computer so I can watch content from it to the Apple TV. It's nice to have that option when I want it. But it's not AT ALL required.

Me too.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Okay. For YOU. For me it is. I'm not streaming my stuff down. I have it all here. RIGHT here. Locally. I should be able to get to it seamlessly.

You aren't me. It's required for ME to buy it. I'll buy THREE on the same day they actually announce one. Until then, no sale.

What I'd like to see added are live streaming apps (The buttons. They count as apps) of the major news networks. Then we could really cut out the archaic nonsense (cable/satellite) for good.

Are you interested in buying my original Apple TV with 40GB internal HD? That way you could leave your computer off and still access 40GB worth of material.

I'll use the money I get from you (or whomever) to purchase this new Apple TV 3. Looks really awesome to me!
  • Reply 30 of 78
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

There's no way to just ACCESS local stuff without having a computer on and iTunes open. I can't have a shared iTunes library stored on a hard drive attached directly to my home network and expect it to open on the Apple TV. Works on proper computers, not the Apple TV. Not buying one until I can do that one simple thing. There's no sense in being forced to have a computer on and iTunes open.

Do you turn off your computer when you're done with it, or just let is sleep? I thought from SL on there was the "Wake On Demand" option.

Also, I take it the majority of local content you have is ripped DVDs and/or home-made content like family videos. If it's the former, you're not really who Apple is targeting, and the Apple TV is still a niche product. For the latter, it's possible Photostream will be updated eventually where you can store specific photos/videos online.

Do you currently have a better solution for getting content from your computer onto your television?
  • Reply 31 of 78
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I'd like to see a smarter TimeCapsule that could hold media 'playlists' which would always appear on ATV or any other connected device. I don't want to store the the main library because working with certain files would be just too slow. Or perhaps it could be optional - for some people / families, having a centralized media library would solve many problems.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:

Still requires a computer on and iTunes open. No sale.

Try again next year, Apple.

Why does it require a computer on and iTunes open? I thought rentals are streamed? Just asking.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicholas_hagen View Post

Many NAS'es have iTunes Server in it that you can use and then your computer can store its contents to the NAS as a file share, which then Apple TV can reference that iTunes library via iTunes server.

Everyone I've talked to has absolutely no idea what this is supposed to mean. I've seen "iTunes Server" advertised for years, and no one has a clue what that means or how it's even possible, no NAS seems to actually have it, and I've been told the Apple TV isn't compatible with it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Are you interested in buying my original Apple TV with 40GB internal HD? That way you could leave your computer off and still access 40GB worth of material.

Heh. I loved the idea behind the first gen. Never had one. Terrible processor, horrible power draw, tiny hard drive, 720p cap.

I have about a terabyte and a half of content in iTunes. 40 GB would be nine movies, and then not at full resolution.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Also, I take it the majority of local content you have is ripped DVDs and/or home-made content like family videos.

It's mainly 1080p content now. I've been gradually getting higher-res versions of all my stuff.

Quote:

Do you currently have a better solution for getting content from your computer onto your television?

Yeah, I just watch it on my Cinema Display, connected directly to my computer. That's why I want an Apple TV solution. I personally have no reason to own a TV right now. I don't watch any modern programming and I really just want to be able to push my existing content to a larger-than-27" screen and from time to time watch the news or other potential points of interest.

But Apple won't let me do THAT either, because they didn't take my idea for Channels and run with it.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensoniq View Post

I am still waiting for confirmation on that as well. The new interface is something I'd like to enjoy without paying an extra $99 for it. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote:

There's no way Apple's gonna let old models have it. I hope to be wrong, but I'll bet I'm not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I agree, probably too much to ask, though I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised...

OK, so consider me "pleasantly surprised":

Apple - Press Info - Apple Brings 1080p High Definition to New Apple TV

Quote:

Pricing & Availability

Apple TV will be available on Friday, March 16 for a suggested retail price of $99 (US) through the Apple online store, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple TV requires iTunes 10.5 or later. Apple TV requires an 802.11g/n Wi-Fi network or Ethernet network, a broadband Internet connection and a HD TV capable of 1080p or 720p and an HDMI cable that is sold separately. iTunes movie and TV show availability varies by country. Second generation Apple TV users can install the new Apple TV user interface via a free software update, available today. Third generation Apple TV hardware is required to play 1080p video.

• Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rare comment View Post

Why does it require a computer on and iTunes open? I thought rentals are streamed? Just asking.

finally made it through all the threads and see this question was answered - requires a computer on and iTunes open if the user wants to access a local library. If anything, by adding video to the cloud, appleTV is one step closer to not needing the computer on (for me, at least). This will be great when traveling somewhere with decent broadband - my entire (to the extent iTunes purchased) video library in a very small box.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nice UI update. The old one wasn't perfect —*though worlds better than Take 2 — but I had no ideas on how to make it better. Glad to see someone at Apple did.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

OK, so consider me "pleasantly surprised":

Apple - Press Info - Apple Brings 1080p High Definition to New Apple TV

Very nice. Thanks, Apple. Now what about iPhoto for first-gen iPads? Ah, of course not. Of COURSE we don't get it. For ABSOLUTELY no reason.

But say, now… what have we here, desktop iPhoto? Hints at 10.7.4 already?

• Reply 38 of 78
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Yeah, I just watch it on my Cinema Display, connected directly to my computer. That's why I want an Apple TV solution. I personally have no reason to own a TV right now. I don't watch any modern programming and I really just want to be able to push my existing content to a larger-than-27" screen and from time to time watch the news or other potential points of interest.

But Apple won't let me do THAT either, because they didn't take my idea for Channels and run with it.

If you don't have a TV and don't watch any modern programming, it isn't too surprising that your needs aren't met by mainstream products. The entertainment and consumer electronics industries are tailoring their products to people who actually buy their products.

(I don't mean to pick a fight with these few recent comments on your posts. It's all good discussion)
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

If you don't have a TV and don't watch any modern programming, it isn't too surprising that your needs aren't met by mainstream products. The entertainment and consumer electronics industries are tailoring their products to people who actually buy their products.

(I don't mean to pick a fight with these few recent comments on your posts. It's all good discussion)

Perhaps I'd watch more modern stuff if the hardware catered to my needs.

I know I'd certainly use Netflix, but I'd like to be able to get to the stuff sitting not 40 feet away, too.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    It's a single core A5. In semiconductor manufacturing, you'll hear words like "yield" like it is a farm or something. Yes, you cannot develop a fab that builds every chip perfectly, with every chip meeting TDP and performance requirements. So the yield coming off a wafer is one of those hugely important parameters that determine the end of cost of the chip. The better the yield, the cheaper it is.

So, Apple may be taking some of the rejects, those that didn't meet voltage-clock frequency or functioning req'ts, and are using them in the AppleTV!

H.264 media uses dedicated "processing" units inside the A5, so the need for both CPUs working or even both GPUs working isn't hugely important. These chips may also run hotter than those in iPhones and iPads, and Apple's basically turned off parts of the chip to conserve power while still be viable for the AppleTV.

If Apple ships a single core A5 in an iPod touch, this line of thought will be incorrect and they are likely taking good chips suitable for the iPhone and iPad 2 and fusing off one of the cores.