App size bloat? Does Retina mean an end to Universal apps?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
http://www.macworld.com/article/1657...ge_crunch.html

Led Friedman brings up a good point. The recent updates to Apple apps that added Retina support and presumably new features have caused the app sizes to balloon up 2x and 3x the size of the former version.

I'm looking at my 32GB iPad and it's now down to the last 1.5GB.

Going forward are Universal apps going to make sense if I've got an iPhone and do not wish for an 800MB Garageband that contains artwork I'll never use?

I hope iOS 6 has some way of managing this better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I like the idea of universal apps. It would be nice, however, if when installing to the device that only the artwork/images appropriate to the device would be included. Then perhaps the only place you'd wind up having the full package stored might be iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

I like the idea of universal apps. It would be nice, however, if when installing to the device that only the artwork/images appropriate to the device would be included. Then perhaps the only place you'd wind up having the full package stored might be iTunes.

Good idea. Let the iTunes revamp manage that because at this point a Universal app going forward is going to be HUGE because it's covering 3 different resolutions.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I was expecting Apple to have 32GB on the low-end retina iPad going up to 128GB for this reason. How can they charge $100 for 16GB NAND in 2012 and yet, it's $100 for a further 32GB?

IMO, it should have been:

16GB iPad 2 - $399

32GB new iPad - $499

64GB new iPad - $599

128GB new iPad - $699

They could stop bloating apps out too of course. Every app that has themes or modules should store them online and only download them when absolutely needed. iPhoto themes, iMovie themes, Garageband tutorials and samples, all of them should be online and when you want one, you pick one to download and you can delete it if you don't like it.