Fabricated claims about Apple's manufacturing prompt retraction from 'This American Life' [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

American Life's next big story on U.S response to the current SYRIA CRISIS will be based on "JAMES BOND".

Is part of the joke the fact that Bond is British, or is that just secondary to the play on the unrealistic nature of such a story?

Because the former makes it funnier.
  • Reply 22 of 107
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    what's up with these fat dudes, Michael Moore, Mike Daisey, Ed Schulz, Rush Limbaugh, etc, etc?
  • Reply 23 of 107
    i always knew this FAT DISGUSTING PIG was up to no good.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daisey

"Theatrical piece whose goal is to create a human connection between our gorgeous devices and the brutal circumstances from which they emerge." [...] "What I do is not journalism," Daisey said. "The tools of the theater are not the same as the tools of journalism. For this reason, I regret that I allowed 'This American Life' to air an excerpt from my monologue. 'This American Life' is essentially a journalistic — not a theatrical — enterprise, and as such it operates under a different set of rules and expectations."

Which is to say, not so concerned with factual accuracy of claims.

This is a bummer for This American Life. I'm glad they're taking ownership of this, though. I would consider it to be, in all probability, the most fantastic program a person could hope to tune in to on the radio.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

what's up with these fat dudes, Michael Moore, Mike Daisey, Rush Limbaugh, etc, etc?

So... do you only notice the asses that are overweight?
  • Reply 25 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

With a face like that, I'm glad he's on radio.

Your comment just made Rush Limbaugh cry.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    This American Life.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    In spite of his defense, he knew that what he was doing was dead wrong, proven by how he gave the wrong name of his translator and claimed her phone was disconnected. What a schmo.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    In life, sometimes the sequence of steps is important.

Correct Sequence of Steps:

1. Check the facts.

2. Air/publish the news story.

Wrong Sequence of Steps:

1. Air/publish the news story.

2. Check the facts.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

As much as I never liked Mike Daisey and was offended by his performance, he is quite correct that it was a performance and was described as such right from the start. The problem only arose when a lot of stupid unprofessional tech blogs (I'm not sure if there actually *are* any professional ones), spread the story around as if it were fact.

it wasn't just the blogs. The common man that goes to see the show is told it is based on his personal 'investigations' etc and they believe that means that he is speaking truths. Or at least more truth than fiction. It could be the case they are not.

Daisey wants folks to think that there's truth to all that he is saying because the ire about those truths is what sells tickets, what gets schools etc to want to do his little show and get him more fame.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Quote:

Mike Daisey and the Apple Factory

Really? I guess the "Apple Factory" needs to stop making The Xbox, Wii, PlayStation 3, Kindle and everything else non-Apple related. Also, all labor issues in China are Apple's fault. Got it. Anything else, Michael Moore wannabe?
  • Reply 31 of 107
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Why didn't this a-hole say that the story had fictional parts when they were fact checking it? Why'd did he lie about his sources? Simple, because he knew exactly what he was doing, he wanted to have an entire episode to himself on the #1 podcast in the world.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minnesota_Steve View Post

This American Life.

As punishment for actually taking ownership of the mistake? \
  • Reply 33 of 107
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So no actual punishment, then. So it's just pure slander and they're getting away with it.

Quote:

What I do is not journalism

Ah, see, what he meant to say was,

Quote:

I'm not accountable for anything that I say because I don't consider myself a news outlet.

Well this is Fox News' argument whenever they're dragged into court. They've always claimed to be an entertainment program and not a "news" program that should be held up to journalistic standards. Which always made me wonder why most people even watch most of that crap?
  • Reply 34 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously I was just in a conversation last night about an injury at work. It happens often due to stupid behavior. However we seldom see vast articles condemning an unrelated individual or corporation. Well in this case a "performance", I'm pretty much convinced this is alert wing feeble attempt at a grab for power.

Really it seems like the thought here is that people work for aliving and that is bad! It isn't like injuries at work are a good thing, some of them can be pretty horrific, but you can never zero out risk.
  • Reply 35 of 107
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

So... do you only notice the asses that are overweight?

I think this guy had the same problem.

• Reply 36 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

As punishment for actually taking ownership of the mistake? \

I am glad they took ownership. Doesn't mean I have to respect the bad work? Path also got deleted for violating my trust. They also had a nice apology.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It certainly seemed to be stated as real journalism and not satire yet the intro to Real Time with Bill Maher does show an image of a theater playbill which could give a legal out, though not a moral one.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Ah... the Rush Limbaugh defense. "I just make absurd comments in order to illustrate my points."
  • Reply 39 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Well this is Fox News' argument whenever they're dragged into court. They've always claimed to be an entertainment program and not a "news" program that should be held up to journalistic standards. Which always made me wonder why most people even watch most of that crap?

People will go to extremes to get validation for their beliefs. Frankly this is no different then the mentally ill getting a pass for murder. The old he isn't responsible because he is I'll routine is accepted by many in the same way that these entertainers are. He isn't nuts he is an actor, which excuses all. Come to think of it this seems to be what Hollywood is all about.

Frankly these guys are just sleazy examples of the do anything for a buck. They make the common whore look like an angel.
  • Reply 40 of 107
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple should sue him for slander/libel.

Exactly. When you report on national airwaves things as "facts" - it's generally considered by most children, to understand whether your "facts" are correct or not. Perhaps a couple million will teach this person, what common sense, his station manager and his parents failed. Before you open your mouth to condemn a company publically - it's usually best to have some facts to back you up. Sorry, made up "facts" don't count.