New IPAD question - comparing SD video on new and old IPAD

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I'm seriously tempted by the new IPAD, but have question. If anyone has had a preview and has some thoughts I'd apprecaite it.

I travel a lot and for long trips I love to load my IPAD with lots of video. While HD is great, if I load everything HD it will take forever, and greatly limit the amount of shows I can bring along. So, my basic question is if I'm still going to use SD not HD video (usually from iTunes), is it worth upgrading?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cimmerian View Post

I'm seriously tempted by the new IPAD, but have question. If anyone has had a preview and has some thoughts I'd apprecaite it.

I travel a lot and for long trips I love to load my IPAD with lots of video. While HD is great, if I load everything HD it will take forever, and greatly limit the amount of shows I can bring along. So, my basic question is if I'm still going to use SD not HD video (usually from iTunes), is it worth upgrading?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Nah, not really. Do you buy your media with iTunes or do you have media from other questionable sources like torrents for instance?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Nah, not really. Do you buy your media with iTunes or do you have media from other questionable sources like torrents for instance?

iTunes

Thx
  • Reply 3 of 5
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cimmerian View Post

iTunes

Thx

How much do you pay on a monthly basis for TV shows and Movies. You don't have to answer this but you do know that their are free legal sites that you can download your shows. Have you every tried Hulu or going to the networks site that the show airs on.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

How much do you pay on a monthly basis for TV shows and Movies. You don't have to answer this but you do know that their are free legal sites that you can download your shows. Have you every tried Hulu or going to the networks site that the show airs on.

I fly a lot and need download not streaming. I thought the free sites were streaming?

Anyway, really focused on new vs old iPad choice.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I'm a little late to this party, but I just got my new iPad and I've been running it down with a few tests.

I'd say that if you're only using SD video the difference is minimal. I played the same SD movie on my old and new one side by side and while color depth seems a bit better on the new iPad and the lack of visible pixels provides a marginally clearer picture, if you're not an A/V junkie you won't notice too much. Having said that, after comparing the two side by side, now being able to see the pixels on my old iPad irritates me in a way it never did before.

But then again, there are all kinds of reasons to consider upgrading, especially if you have a first generation iPad like I did. It runs much faster, it's much smoother, I've had fewer crashes as there is more memory and I have to say I really like the dictation feature; I've spoken most of this message using it. It is a little cumbersome to use at first, but it's a very useful feature if you don't like typing on the keyboard.

Incidentally, I've also experimented a bit with an SD version of a movie on my old iPad and an HD version of the same movie on the new one and, truth be told, I can't see much difference. On the small 9.7-inch screen the difference is negligible to my inexpert eye. Now, to be fair, both movies I used in the tests are older movies (specifically, SD vs SD was Tombstone and SD vs HD was Total Recall), and neither were originally shot in HD, so there MAY be a difference in quality compared to a newer, actually-filmed-in-HD movie.

I hope that helps.