Third-gen iPad reportedly shows inaccurate battery level while charging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    yeah but.. guess what. my ipad will show 100% even after a few minutes of use (screen/network). clearly if the battery was a 100%, the SECOND I turn it on and it draws from the battery, the percentage should drop IMMEDIATELY...

so.. that means 1 of 2 things.

1) I have an uber battery which actually holds more than 100% charge..

2) the percentage indicator is just an estimate of actual charge, so basically I have enough info to know that I'm good to go for a while.

(I do not have a super battery)

I doubt the fuel indicator in my car is capable of detecting 3.675 gallons of sloshing liquid in my tank when it reads 25% (of a 14.7 gallon tank)..
  • Reply 22 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

yeah but.. guess what. my ipad will show 100% even after a few minutes of use (screen/network). clearly if the battery was a 100%, the SECOND I turn it on and it draws from the battery, the percentage should drop IMMEDIATELY...

2) the percentage indicator is just an estimate of actual charge, so basically I have enough info to know that I'm good to go for a while.

I doubt the fuel indicator in my car is capable of detecting 3.675 gallons of sloshing liquid in my tank when it reads 25% (of a 14.7 gallon tank)..

You failed to account for the way fractions are reported. 99.5% or higher should still be reported as 100%.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You failed to account for the way fractions are reported. 99.5% or higher should still be reported as 100%.

thank you for making my point

the indicator is just an APPROXIMATION of actual.

battery will read 99% at 99.4 and below. the minute it hits 99.5, is shows 100%.. in reality, there's still some charging to do.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

thank you for making my point

the indicator is just an APPROXIMATION of actual.

battery will read 99% at 99.4 and below. the minute it hits 99.5, is shows 100%.. in reality, there's still some charging to do.

No, your point was that you have an "uber" battery or that it's an estimation, you made no mention of the percentage being the actual rounded value. You backed up this lack of acknowledgment by saying that it's 100% when it's been unplugged for a moment.

For your new claim to be accurate you would have had to at least acknowledge the first decimal point. For instance 100.0%. However, if 10 hours of usage was static it would take 20 minutes before you're at 99.4, showing 99%, or 2 minutes before you're at 99.94% or showing 99.9% for a meter indicating the first decimal.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    kevinn206kevinn206 Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Clearly the firmware/software can be written to do a lot of fancy stuff including reporting what a company wants it to report. It's kinda like when Apple changed the algorithm for "number of bars" on the iPhone: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ignal-drop.ars
  • Reply 26 of 64
    foobarfoobar Posts: 108member
    I'm pretty sure this is intentional. The charge time already is pretty long. I'm sure Apple rather loses a few per cent capacity than adding two full hours of frustrating waiting.

Imagine the battery taking two more hours to go from 95% to 100%. (That's just half an hour of battery life.) People would complain about that pretty loudly.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

I'm pretty sure this is intentional. The charge time already is pretty long. I'm sure Apple rather loses a few per cent capacity than adding two full hours of frustrating waiting.

Imagine the battery taking two more hours to go from 95% to 100%. (That's just half an hour of battery life.) People would complain about that pretty loudly.

This hypothesis is easy to test. Follow the steps outlined below.
    1. Fully discharge the iPad until it turns off.

2. Charge until you see 100%, then disconnect from charger.

3. Run a looping video over WiFi and time how long it takes until it turns off again.

4. Charge until 100%, leave for additional 3 hours, disconnect.

5. Repeat the step with looping video, record the new time.

6. Compare times for first and second run.

For best results, repeat this with three different units, three times each
  • Reply 28 of 64
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camper View Post

Apple apparently releases beta-level hardware as production-level releases.

Didn't Microsoft have the same reputation for their OS release?

An inaccurate battery level reading would indicate a problem with the software not the hardware and yes, Microsoft essentially had a 2 year beta OS for Windows 7 called Windows Vista. The distinction though is that Apple calls a beta like Siri as such and based on the past history, Apple will fix bugs such as this alleged inaccurate battery level indicator and others in their next iOS maintenance release such as they did when the iPhone 4S first came out (iOS 5.0 to 5.0.1 in two months)
  • Reply 29 of 64
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Apple really needs to do a better job with their initial hardware designs . It is obvious to me that the Apple fans really love whatever Apple releases but I, for one, have purchased a first-gen Apple hardware design, and I will never do it again. There are too many, ummm, quirks, present.

Care to give one example that wasn't FUD? Every apple device I have ever bought was first generation, day one release. I have never had an issue. And that's going back to 1987. No one I know has ever had an issue.

If a tiny minority of people suffer an issue, then this is obviously a bath/manufacture/environmental issue, but a design flaw. Every rechargeable device on the planet can take a bit more charge once it says "100%", always have, always will.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

OMFG

I am calling my lawyer (who prefers to be called an attorney for some dumbshit reason) right now.

The words have different meanings. Look them up.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Everybody knows that 'lawyers' are greedy pricks,

Apple employs an army of greedy pricks. Or are Apple's lawyers different from all other lawyers?
  • Reply 32 of 64
    tcphototcphoto Posts: 65member
    Funny, I usually recharge my new iPad overnight and wake up to find it at 100%. Ironically, my iPhone 4S seems to get 4G reception here in Atlanta. Does AT&T offer 4G service yet? I figure that this is a carry over effect of Steve's alternate reality or did he get his angel wings and bring me a few gifts?
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steverance View Post

Yeah, the gas gauge in my car also reports it is full when I can still add another gallon or two AND shows empty when I can drive another 100 miles ...

Unless you own a Ferrari, your comparison is meaningless. Apple products are the Ferrari of gadgets, and accordingly, they should be compared only to Ferraris.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Apple really needs to do a better job with their initial hardware designs . It is obvious to me that the Apple fans really love whatever Apple releases but I, for one, have purchased a first-gen Apple hardware design, and I will never do it again. There are too many, ummm, quirks, present.

Baloney and F.U.D. I've been buying Apple hardware since 1982, mostly first generation, and have never had a problem. Apple ][, Apple IIe, Apple IIgs, all perfect. I bought a first generation Power Mac 8100, no problems. I bought a water cooled G5 tower, no leaking. Original iMac 233mhz for my son? No problems either. iMac 24" ditto. iPad 2 the day it cam out, perfect.

It's the f'ing Internet. A couple of bozos with the same issue find each other and suddenly we have a "widespread" problem. Then the OCD crowd and the hand wringers jump on it. Any body remember "heat gate" from last week?

Your assertions are wrong, dead wrong.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ooooooo.... Charge-Gate!

As silly as it is, people are apparently taking these ridiculous complaints seriously:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/31...ting-wifi.htm?
  • Reply 36 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

That is likely exactly what is going on. As the battery approaches full, the rate of charge decreases to a trickle for optimum battery longevity and safety.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Why in the hell is AI so hell bent on making mountains out of molehills?

Really guys it isn't like this is the first iOS device with battery and charging issues. We are still being told to "calibrate" our devices once in a while by running the battery down. Just this should have everybody asking if the iPad is broke in so to speak and has been calibrated.

Bugs do happen however just as they have happened in the past, this however should bother nobody. Why? Because unless you are sitting there watching the charge cycle, to watch it roll over from 99% to 100%, your device will charge until the cycle is complete.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    I work in the area of energy storage and when I heard about the new iPad charging slower than iPad2 I knew that apple is doing something really good here.

For those who are familiar with Li-ion battery technology. A li-ion cell should ideally be charged in a CC-CV (constant-current constant-voltage) mode at C/10 or if possible at C/5 rate and finally a tickle charge till charging current reaches 3%. This means that if the battery capacity is 1000mAh it should ideally be charged at around 100 mA which will take 10 hrs to charge it to full capacity. Charging it at 50mA is even better for battery's longivity. The same battery can be charged at 500mA and it will only take 2 hrs to do so but it is not advised because charging it at faster rate degrades Li-ion cells (internal resistance, heat etc are some factors).

Now this new iPad has a significantly higher capacity battery than iPad 2 so it taking longer to charge is not a surprise even if the two devices are charging at same current. So to me it is really a calculated compromise because new iPad needs that extra energy for driving improved display as well as processor/gpu.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sssdddaaa222 View Post

Now this new iPad has a significantly higher capacity battery than iPad 2 so it taking longer to charge is not a surprise

Exactly and people seem to be noticing the long charging times:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

new iPad = 42.5Wh battery

iPad 2 = 25WH battery

70% larger battery so 70% longer charging times.

With a 10W adaptor, the fastest the old iPad could charge is 2.5 hours and the fastest the new one can charge is 4.3 hours.

It seems the Griffin Powerblock might get the charging done at the quickest rate:

http://gizmodo.com/5535631/the-faste...charge-an-ipad

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H0952ZM/A

Real world charging times seem to be around 4-5 hours for original iPads, 7-8.5 hours for the new one. It makes sense that Apple would report that it has reached 100% early because if it gives you 7-8 hours of use (close to a full day) then you likely won't notice. What you would notice is it taking forever to hit 100%.

What makes it worse is that the report noted the new backlight uses 7 Watts vs 2.8 in the previous model so at full brightness, it drains 2.5x quicker with just 1.7x battery:

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why in the hell is AI so hell bent on making mountains out of molehills?

Because if Apple is anything less than perfect, it's a scandal/conspiracy/bully.