Almost the end of March!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, here we are almost the end of March, and no new Mac Pro or any creditable rumors of one. The chips are out, the gpu's are out, what excuse do they have now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tony3d View Post

Well, here we are almost the end of March, and no new Mac Pro or any creditable rumors of one. The chips are out, the gpu's are out, what excuse do they have now?

They're killing it. They don't need an excuse.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    tony3dtony3d Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're killing it. They don't need an excuse.

I'm really beginning to think your right. Found myself actually browsing HP's site today. Oh well.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Hmm.

The 'new' iPad gets the limelight until the end of March at least.

Macs? Expect them to follow in April/May as Intel readies Ivy Bridge.

If there's no Mac Pro in 6 months time...it's probably not going to happen. By which time we'll be in the end of Summer and...and Mountain Lion will be with us or imminent.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    If it doesn't make it, there's always the top end iMac instead...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    The iMac just does not have enough processing power or gpu power for what I do.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:

The iMac just does not have enough processing power or gpu power for what I do.

So grab a current Mac Pro, install Mountain Lion on it (once it's out), and pop a Radeon 79xx in there.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    A refurb would be $5249.00. thats a lot of cash for an almost 2 year old machine don't you think?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

A refurb would be $5249.00. thats a lot of cash for an almost 2 year old machine don't you think?

No, a refurb is $2,039. Don't hyperbolize.

Also, that refurb's price is incorrect. It's more than the price of a new machine with the same specs. It can't possibly be correct.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    I'm expecting some news too... I'm in need of a new desktop and I want to know how things roll out before I make my move. One of three options may come to be:

1) Apple kills the Mac Pro

2) Apple just updates it with new hardware

3) Apple releases a new redesigned Mac Pro or something else to replace it

I guess we're just gonna have to wait some more time... all this waiting is "killing" me!
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Also, that refurb's price is incorrect. It's more than the price of a new machine with the same specs. It can't possibly be correct.

I'm talking their top of the line Refurb which is $5249.00. Thats the only one I would consider.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Get over this. Seriously.... Look at the other oems. They're using the same damn hardware. Even the AMD 5870 is similar to a Firepro V7800 without workstation drivers. Granted those drivers can make a huge huge difference with the right software, but if you need that, you should look at a PC. Apple's gpu drivers have always been kind of bleh. The cpu options are the same damn thing. Dell is significantly cheaper. The rest are a bit cheaper, but not as much as you might think when comparing to workstation builds.

I think Boxx is the only one shipping Sandy Bridge E Xeons. You really need to get over this stuff dude. If everyone else comes out with something, and a couple months later Apple still hasn't updated, then you may consider swapping for a PC. When you don't have fully updated options on that end either, why does it matter right now? The general attitude that Apple should get everything first is pretty asinine. It happens here and there, but I doubt their relationship with intel is great at the moment.

Until they do something with it, the weird speculation is pointless. Keep in mind, it hasn't moved off the front page as the Xserve did before its demise.

Last regarding rumors, you should know that many of the rumors you see on here are more like educated guesses. Much of the time they pick something, and they happen to pick a winner going by what is likely.

By the way, I would have expected somewhat of a rush from Apple had these cpus been available toward the end of last year, as that would have meant capturing IT budgets around the end of the fourth quarter. Seeing as that didn't happen, it's unlikely that they have a pressing need to release new machines right now. Even in 2010, no new cpus were expected before Fall of 2011. They got pushed back from there. At this point new gpu models are starting to trickle out too.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

I've seen refurb prices close to or higher than new hardware before. Apple bases the refurb price on the original price of the machine, not what the current model is selling for.

And if he's looking at the $5000 model, the entry level machine will be about as useful to him as the iMac.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    I'm pretty much over Apple's communication skills.They need to be upfront with the Pro community! This silent treatment is just stupid! The fact that HP has the new machines on their site, and the fact that Apple has released no statements at all, just tells me they couldn't care less about the professional community. I'm really over that mentality! As a professional 3d modeler I need to make decisions about my business. I have way to much invested in Apple software to just jump to Windows unless there is no other choice. That's what I'm waiting to find out. The 2 year old machines they have on their site right now are simply not worth the asking price. I say Apple needs to &∂∫å or get off the pot!
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

I'm pretty much over Apple's communication skills.They need to be upfront with the Pro community! This silent treatment is just stupid! The fact that HP has the new machines on their site, and the fact that Apple has released no statements at all, just tells me they couldn't care less about the professional community. I'm really over that mentality! As a professional 3d modeler I need to make decisions about my business. I have way to much invested in Apple software to just jump to Windows unless there is no other choice. That's what I'm waiting to find out. The 2 year old machines they have on their site right now are simply not worth the asking price. I say Apple needs to &∂∫å or get off the pot!

You should really look at HP and Lenovo. Even with the older hardware, they still charge quite a lot. The same is true with Boxx. Sometimes you can put together a configuration that's a better value. HP is the only one that's been very verbal about next generation workstation builds, but even then I recall the gpu options coming from last year as new Quadros haven't come out, and I think it was only the Z1 that was announced. Even if they come out with a new machine today, it'll be another long wait after that as Ivy Bridge E is more than a year out currently. In fact as of right now, Ivy Bridge E is scheduled after the earlier Haswell stuff.

What software are you running with? I'd suggest that if you're considering a switch that you inquire with the software companies as to if any sidegrade options are available or if you can switch platforms with a license upgrade. Policies vary, so it would be helpful to know them. In terms of 3d modeling, I can't think of a single thing that isn't available on Windows. OpenGL performance in some cases is also better under Windows. It depends on the application.

Anyway I don't think the silent treatment is going anywhere, and personally at this point I'm not truly expecting anything to hit before the summer. As I mentioned they're not chasing fourth quarter purchases or anything of that sort. You should spread some of the blame to Intel though. They aren't helping.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    First how many systems re actually shipping, note I said shipping, with Sandy Bridge E processors right now?

Second get over yourself you are no more important to Apple than the next customer. It does Apple no good to say anything until they have something to ship!!

Third you call yourself a Pro yet you come on this forum acting like a self absorbed child. We don't need that here. The Apple world does not revolve around you and never has.

As to your business I'd suggest packing up and shutting down. Grab yourself a shovel so that you can more efficiently toss that &∂∫å around that you are so fond of. I'm sure there are a few stables near buy looking for stall cleaners.

Quote:

• Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First how many systems re actually shipping, note I said shipping, with Sandy Bridge E processors right now?

Second get over yourself you are no more important to Apple than the next customer. It does Apple no good to say anything until they have something to ship!!

Third you call yourself a Pro yet you come on this forum acting like a self absorbed child. We don't need that here. The Apple world does not revolve around you and never has.

As to your business I'd suggest packing up and shutting down. Grab yourself a shovel so that you can more efficiently toss that &∂∫å around that you are so fond of. I'm sure there are a few stables near buy looking for stall cleaners.

Your comments don't deserve my time or an answer, but thats what you can expect from most fanboys!
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

I've seen refurb prices close to or higher than new hardware before.

When it has higher specs (IE, a BTO machine), absolutely, but these match.

Quote:

Apple bases the refurb price on the original price of the machine, not what the current model is selling for.

Which would be the same that it has always been, as it's a Westmere model in both places. It's strange, to say the least.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Which would be the same that it has always been, as it's a Westmere model in both places. It's strange, to say the least.

I'm not sure what you mean there. There are some non westmere cpus still in use within the mac pro lineup. The 8 core model, the 6 core, and the 12 core are Westmere. The quads are based on the original nehalem spec rather than the die shrink. This is also true of other oems. Intel didn't really release a complete westmere update, then sandy bridge E was pushed back, so yeah the lineup is a bit awkward at this point. One of my concerns is that with as long as they've been out, how long after the new thing debuts before they're moved to legacy status? For the current generation I'd guess they'll probably see mountain lion and one update beyond that even though they're still current today. It's not so much of an issue unless you have to keep the OS up to date for certain software. Some of the smaller developers tend to drop support for older OS versions much faster.

Given that if they're using AMD gpus it seems like new ones are shipping about the end of this month, or NVidia would still be a short wait, my estimate of summer still seems valid. Given that it's already been a long time, I'd expect them to release it with Mountain Lion rather than Lion. It's really not that illogical. Had all of the cpus been available last fall, I could have seen them trying to push out an update for 2011, but Mountain Lion is kind of the next logical time, and all of the necessary hardware will be shipping in volume by that time.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I'm not sure what you mean there. There are some non westmere cpus still in use within the mac pro lineup. The 8 core model, the 6 core, and the 12 core are Westmere.

Oh, yeah, sure, but the ones we're comparing are the top-end Westmere, which haven't had price drops (like the Nehalem). So it's strange to see a refurb cost more than a new of the same spec.

As for new OS', new hardware, new GPUs, and simultaneity, Mountain Lion has Radeon 97xx support, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't ship with Lion.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

As for new OS', new hardware, new GPUs, and simultaneity, Mountain Lion has Radeon 97xx support, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't ship with Lion.

I'd suggest that it depends how much Apple is trying to control their costs on the line. There's a lot of speculation on it getting killed, so they may try to minimize development costs and avoid having to update drivers too much. Much of the speculation is just blah blah kind of talk, but if they're waiting on gpus (and I think you mean 79xx not 97xx) or waiting on the latest thunderbolt chips, it wouldn't surprise me to see them roll out a Mac Pro starting with Mountain Lion if it only offsets shipping dates by a couple months. Obviously this is a guess. I doubt they're in a hurry on this, and Ivy Bridge E5s won't be out until next May or so. Refresh cycles look like they're going to be long no matter what. I mean they could bring machines out earlier. I'm just not counting on it.