Apple interested in bringing Siri to the Mac via iPhone pairing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I think what the article is missing is the observation that two microphones are needed for noise cancellation, plus a noise subtraction processor between the two microphones, so that the voice can be isolated for Siri functions. The iPhone 4S has the two mics and the processor, Macs do not.

I wonder if the new iPad does. Seems like it would be necessary for reliable voice recognition.

Siri also works with headphones and Bluetooth headsets. When you?re using headphones with a remote and microphone, you can press and hold the center button to talk to Siri. With a Bluetooth headset, press and hold the call button to bring up Siri.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    How about they make it work in Canada as it should before they try to make it do something additional.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    It's not going to make me buy an iPhone. The service plans ARE TOO EXPENSIVE.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DamenS View Post

This article proffers no explanation as to why an iPhone would be required to bring SIRI functionality to a Mac (other than requiring Mac users to buy a new iPhone - which may be the actual reason I guess).

I can think of two reasons:

- x86-64 Mac's use cheap onboard audio, and don't come with microphones ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_H...finition_Audio "However, as of 2008, most audio hardware manufacturers do not implement the full high-end specification") where as hardware in the iPhone 4S has a microphone with built in noise cancellation.

- There's not enough SIRI server capacity for the installed base of Mac's, lacking the id numbers for hardware whitelisting, and the pirate OSX on bland-box hardware.

Though the more obvious reason is that people are more likely to have their iPhone within their arms reach, which has the necessary calibrated noise cancellation hardware.