Potential Mac-bound Intel Ivy Bridge chips to launch at end of April

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Finally ready to retire my 1.33GHz 12" G4 PowerBook and really holding out for an updated 11" Air. So reading this it sounds like maybe something will be announced on June 3rd that could relate to an MBA refresh??? Can hardly wait!!
  • Reply 62 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malcolmkettering View Post

Finally ready to retire my 1.33GHz 12" G4 PowerBook…

Great little machine, wasn't it?

Quote:

So reading this it sounds like maybe something will be announced on June 3rd that could relate to an MBA refresh???

June 3? I certainly hope not. Hopefully all the laptops will be updated before the end of May.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Fine, let's us the MBP. That's 128GB which includes your home folder that contains your videos and music. What we're talking about here excludes all that. It's just the OS and apps so the system can boot quickly but still have another, larger, internal drive that can hold all your media file

You're wasting your breath (virtually speaking). Wizard can't wrap his head around the fact that OSX ≠ Linux, which makes any meaningful discussion impossible.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You're wasting your breath (virtually speaking). Wizard can't wrap his head around the fact that OSX ≠ Linux, which makes any meaningful discussion impossible.

What does Linux have to do with the discussion? Are you suggesting OSX and applications written for it are a fraction of the size?
  • Reply 65 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

What does Linux have to do with the discussion? Are you suggesting OSX and applications written for it are a fraction of the size?

Try to keep up.

Eight posts above yours, Wizard used his experience with Linux to base assumptions about whether a 64GB SSD boot drive for the operating system and applications would work on a Mac (combined with a larger magnetic drive for data):

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This makes me wonder do you download documentation and additional components for Xcode.

In any event I've been up to this for years splitting Linux installs across multiple drives and frankly the numbers you guys are reporting are extremely minimal. So I still have to write what I believe is rational advice, and that is a 64 GB boot / app drive is very small these days.

This, despite being confronted with the facts:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know how I could have been more clear in my writing. THERE IS NOTHING FOR ME TO ADD UP! I included the entire boot drive which includes every application. And Xcode via the Mac App Store is the size I stated.

• Reply 66 of 68
    Hmm.

I can see both sides of the fence here.

Depends on how many apps you have is the simple answer.

As an anecdotal answer.

I used to have an Athlon based PC/tower thing. (Creamed by my current Core 2 Duo iMac...)

I had XP. Upon upgrading the CPU, GPU (heh, upgrading GPUs...there's a notion...) and HD, I kept the older, smaller hard drive along with the new one.

I had the idea of using my 30 gig HD for my Applications...and using the 80 gig HD for my data. Figuring that applications wise, 30 gig would be enough and 80 gig would be pressed harder for storage as I did several versions of a multi-layered image.

To my surprise, I was quite taken aback by how quickly the 30 gig partition filled up. And this was...what? 5+ years ago? In short, it wasn't enough.

60 gigs. For some average consumer users may well be just fine. For Pro users who run a tight ship and a smaller foot print of apps...should be ok. But for demanding or Sagittarius users...I can't see 60 gig lasting long.

120+ gig should be the starting point. It's a moot point. SSD prices will fall, come into the mainstream, bigger capacities etc. Blah, blah. You're getting 32 gigs in an iPad for pete's sake. And we should be at 64 gigs (in my view) on the latest generation.

SSD as your main drive with traditional HDs are your data drive sounds like a great set up to me. Especially if both are thunderbolt based...

Regarding the thread title. I'm pretty 'meh' about Ivy Bridge. What I'm really looking for are HiDpi screens and a much better GPU otherwise I see another classic iMac 'side grade' line up being offered.

I want more than a 5-15% cpu increase for the prices Apple charges.

Or a reborn cube station Pro to excite me...

Last year was 'so-so' evolution. I'd like to see some new tech like the retina in the iPad. I hope the Macs don't disappoint...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Great little machine, wasn't it?

Really, I think it was their best laptop ever. 7-1/2 years later, it is still basically fully functional, and the only failures were related to when I dropped it once (had to replace SuperDrive). Have purchased 3rd party battery and power and everything still running great.

The worst thing is how one of the more recent Flash upgrades has made watching video painful. I used to be able to watch all kinds of web video (YouTube, etc.) with no skipping or stuttering, but after one of the updates, now no longer the case. Tried to downgrade Flash a few times but could never replicate the 'old days' of decent video.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

June 3? I certainly hope not. Hopefully all the laptops will be updated before the end of May.

I'll have to re-read but I thought it said the really low-power, low-heat chip was coming a little later, like in June, which made me think that would be the chip for the next MBA 11".
  • Reply 68 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malcolmkettering View Post

I'll have to re-read but I thought it said the really low-power, low-heat chip was coming a little later, like in June, which made me think that would be the chip for the next MBA 11".

Ah, well, that's probably it. I haven't kept up with all the pushbacks and uncertainty as much as I would like.