Nokia kicks off Windows Phone 7 campaign with Antennagate teaser spot

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1) How? They don't mention the Lumina Phone (or any phone) -- just denigrate a phone that strongly resamples an iPhone or a slavish Sammy copy.

3) How do they do that when the Lumina wasn't mentioned -- or even ATT or the promotion/arrival date.

...Friends, Romans, Countrymen... I got sompin' I wanna' tell ya'

1) Interesting. They didn't mention it, yet through word of mouth (or blog in this case) you were able to figure it out. Not bad.

3) That's how viral campaigns are done. Thank you for participating. Nokia would be proud
  • Reply 62 of 134
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:

1) How? They don't mention the Lumina Phone (or any phone) -- just denigrate a phone that strongly resamples an iPhone or a slavish Sammy copy.

3) How do they do that when the Lumina wasn't mentioned -- or even ATT or the promotion/arrival date.

...Friends, Romans, Countrymen... I got sompin' I wanna' tell yus'

Is the 'Lumina' meant to be snide or a general misspelling?

His Amazons link seems a bit suspect, the iPhone 3G 8GB is the best selling unlocked phone, unless that's just how things roll in the states.

Now, about this Lumina phone, only drawback seems to be the screen. On the advertising side, yeah it's confrontational and this is an Apple site, but the Droid/iDon't etc. ads seemed to work don't they. AT&T want a new hero phone and the 900 may just fit the bill.
  • Reply 63 of 134
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Just in general, I wonder why rival keep being tempted to call out the iPhone for things that we pretty much know aren't issues?

We've had the Droid "porcelain princess" ads, that were incoherent and a bit scary, apparently trading on at least someone's notion that the iPhone was fey and delicate and pretty, whereas Droid was mud spattered, gun wielding penis.

We've had the Samsung line losers ad, which posits that the hundreds of millions of people that have bought the iPhone are all precious hipsters who haven't heard about how awesome Samsung is.

And now (IMO) the weakest of the bunch, bringing up 2 year old "controversy" and kind of marginal bullshit.

Is the iPhone so good that no one can think of anything substantiative to hit back with, leaving them only with either trivial performance issues or weird takes on the psychology of potential buyers?
  • Reply 64 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then why are you rehashing it?

I was replying to a poster who thought the issue was imaginary. . .

and the article is about Nokia dredging up the issue in their teaser ads. . .

And claiming the entire thing was made up originally to hurt Apple isn't true. . .

. . . and if posters want to discuss it don't they deserve all the facts rather than made-up explanations?

or they could just go with the Jragosta version where it never happened. Which Google number was that one again? Number 1?
  • Reply 65 of 134
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's ads were actually successful, and Appel had the goods to back them up. Duh.

So on day one of the days existing you have determined how successful they are?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They weren't desperate attempts to slander a far superior competitor with obvious lameness.

um, yes they were
  • Reply 66 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That won't happen. Nokia simply doesn't have the mindshare.

True. Plus, does anyone know if these "ads" are even going to air anywhere? They kind of look like website teaser stuff of the sort that never gets beyond that page. I guess they might be a hint as to the tone of a general campaign, but where would they go with this? Sly innuendo is best in small doses. If they actually ran a TV campaign wherein they come right out and say that all the other smart phones are fragile and theirs isn't, they're really asking for trouble.
  • Reply 67 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

His Amazons link seems a bit suspect, the iPhone 3G 8GB is the best selling unlocked phone, unless that's just how things roll in the states.

You can buy the iPhone 4 16GB/32GB at Amazon, but it will cost you 504$/619$ so one has to guess it won't be a big seller on that site.
  • Reply 68 of 134
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

1) Interesting. They didn't mention it, yet through word of mouth (or blog in this case) you were able to figure it out. Not bad.

3) That's how viral campaigns are done. Thank you for participating. Nokia would be proud

This is a tech site... in case you hadn't noticed!

Most of us, here, are aware of the pending Lumina ATT intro -- from articles here and other tech blogs.

I didn't need to figure it out -- the articles/blogs spell it out.

I did not, and am not, participating in a viral ad campaign by posting to a tech blog.

Where are the classic ads....

"Coming Soon..."

'Why 1984 won't be like "1984"... '

• Reply 69 of 134
    Quote:

This is a tech site... in case you hadn't noticed!

Most of us, here, are aware of the pending Lumina ATT intro -- from articles here and other tech blogs.

I didn't need to figure it out -- the articles/blogs spell it out.

I did not, and am not, participating in a viral ad campaign by posting to a tech blog.

Where are the classic ads....

"Coming Soon..."

'Why 1984 won't be like "1984"... '

Of course I wasn't reffering to *you* specifically

And you should REALLY try to spell it right Mr Techy: L-U-M-I-A
  • Reply 70 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That's pointlessly reductive. If the only metric for "exactly the same" is "claiming their devices are better than their competition", then all advertising is the same.

The difference here is that the I'm a Mac apps were relatively humorous, portrayed the PC character is basically well intentioned and likable but hamstrung by the limitations of the Windows OS, and stopped airing, you know, years ago. At this point we're heading towards "But they stole everything from Xerox!" territory, that is a go-to cliche for the desperate.

Whereas these Nokia ads portray the unnamed perpetrators behind the terrible phones to date as callous assholes, brushing off criticism with snide remarks and "blame the user" rhetoric.

That would be called a striking difference in tone and intent. However, I guess when all you have is an Apple hammer, the whole world looks like an Apple nail, so whatever.....

You are taking that viewpoint as you have a vested interest in one particular side, your last statement verifies this. But in case you weren't aware some people found Apples PC vs mac ads quite offensive, maybe you can take a guess at what side they were on?

People that don't have a current interest in smartphones may take this as an opportunity to look at an alternative
  • Reply 71 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Just in general, I wonder why rival keep being tempted to call out the iPhone for things that we pretty much know aren't issues?

And now (IMO) the weakest of the bunch, bringing up 2 year old "controversy" and kind of marginal bullshit.

And I agree. Whatever signal attenuation issue the original iPhone 4 suffered has apparently been corrected, so Nokia/Microsoft making it the focus of a teaser ad smells a bit desperate. I can't imagine what market research they depended on that said potential buyers would respond to the old "antenna-gate" controversy. Not the way to go IMO.
  • Reply 72 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I was replying to a poster who thought the issue was imaginary. . .

and the article is about Nokia dredging up the issue in their teaser ads. . .

And claiming the entire thing was made up originally to hurt Apple isn't true. . .

. . . and if posters want to discuss it don't they deserve all the facts rather than made-up explanations?

or they could just go with the Jragosta version where it never happened. Which Google number was that one again? Number 1?

I like how when you get pressed your "just an interested bystander" mask starts to slip a bit and you let your asshole flag fly. Good for you.

Anyway, all "the facts" you need in this case is the popularity of the iPhone 4 and its very, very low return rates. If ""Antennagate" were much more than opportunistic sniping and tech blog piling on, how would those things possibly be true? Word would get around with users that the damn thing dropped calls if you held it wrong, leading to declining sales and rising returns. Unless of course you want to go the full troll and just claim that the "sheeple" will put up with anything Apple sells them? That couldn't be it, could it?
  • Reply 73 of 134
    Quote:

I have to ask:

1) What is the purpose of these ads?

2) At whom are they targeted?

3) What are they trying to motivate their target audience to do?

...They certainly aren't "brand promotion/recognition" ads -- more like simple trolling, actually...

1. To raise awareness to industry issues

2. People that don't own smartphones

3. Look at alternatives.

There is two reasons they appear like trolling to you.

1. Standard AI answer to everything

2. You are on the extreme side of Apple fanaticism to which you can't see the possibility of an alternative to an Apple product.
  • Reply 74 of 134
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    I'd love to see how many of the creatives that managed this campaign are using iPhones, or Android phones. I bet zero are using any of the Nokia Windows phones, unless they were given to them and told they had to use them in order to keep the account.

There is nothing wrong with attack ads. They can be very effective, but you do take a chance that the consumer may not connect well enough with your own brand. I'm not even sure why they're making using the iPhone antenna issue - the iPhone 4 was a blockbuster sales hit. It still is. Instead of trying to convince people that there is an issue, when there isn't, they should be going after new customers and those that are unhappy with things that continue to be problems - like Android's UI lag.

But then again, I'm not getting paid millions to make suggestions to Nokia and given they are a European company and know better what they're doing than any crazy American, I'll keep quiet.

I will say this, that MS and Nokia are not going to see the returns they thought they would - not this year and possibly not next year either - unless something drastic happens to Google or Apple. RIM is going through the exact same issue, but at least they have some market to hold on to, at least compared to MS/Nokia.
  • Reply 75 of 134
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

2. You are on the extreme side of Apple fanaticism to which you can't see the possibility of an alternative to an Apple product.

If there were actually *viable* alternatives then his view would probably be different. ("Windows on a phone" = LOL.)

The Nokia/MS partnership aint it.

Two turkeys don't make a right. Certainly not with that nasty Metro UI and a woefully under-featured platform.
  • Reply 76 of 134
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    I hate to admit this -- in my opinion this phone is a child of a horrible arranged marriage -- but the Lumia 800 is nothing short of amazing in terms of build quality, UI, look and feel. I played with one last weekend and despite my initial skepticism I was left with a very nice impression not only from the hardware but also from WP. No wonder if Nokia is grasping for straws while trying to attract attention to this product...
  • Reply 77 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I'd love to see how many of the creatives that managed this campaign are using iPhones, or Android phones. I bet zero are using any of the Nokia Windows phones, unless they were given to them and told they had to use them in order to keep the account.

And how much are you willing to wager?
  • Reply 78 of 134
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Is the 'Lumina' meant to be snide or a general misspelling?

Now, about this Lumina phone, only drawback seems to be the screen. On the advertising side, yeah it's confrontational and this is an Apple site, but the Droid/iDon't etc. ads seemed to work don't they. AT&T want a new hero phone and the 900 may just fit the bill.

Ha! My mistake... I just assumed the phone was called "Lumina" instead of its real name "Lumia"... no slur intended...

But, it shows how successful the ads were -- viral or not -- I didn't even get the name right.

Old IBM Postulate: It doesn't matter how badly you screw up -- they'll remember your name, not what you did!"

Jay Lerner: "The French don't care what you do, actually -- as long as you pronounce it properly!"

Ugly American: "When in a foreign country, speaking to a native who doesn't understand what you are saying -- speak more slowly and louder..."

• Reply 79 of 134
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

I have to ask:

1) What is the purpose of these ads?

To revive a failing platform (or one that never really left the gate.)

Which explains their desperation in reaching for "antenna-gate", which consumers had rendered meaningless ages ago. It simply didn't matter, and is barely recognizable today.

One wonders why MS and Nokia are consistently brain-dead when it comes to marketing.
  • Reply 80 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I hate to admit this -- in my opinion this phone is a child of a horrible arranged marriage -- but the Lumia 800 is nothing short of amazing in terms of build quality, UI, look and feel. I played with one last weekend and despite my initial skepticism I was left with a very nice impression not only from the hardware but also from WP. No wonder if Nokia is grasping for straws while trying to attract attention to this product...

I have been telling my wife about this upcoming Lumia 900 phone for a few months now. In the AT&T store on Saturday, she held one in her hands for 10 seconds and was like: "Wow! Done! If I sign today, when are you shipping it?"