Briefly: New Apple Store downtime sign; Lumia 900 free after data glitch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So what do you call all the reported WiFi and 3G issues associated with the new iPad then?

Does not applied to me I'm afraid

White 32 Wi-Fi + 4G (not LTE)

*Also, nothing change in the store. What's new, eh?
  • Reply 22 of 61
    lazollazol Posts: 20member
    Quote:

So what do you call all the reported WiFi and 3G issues associated with the new iPad then?

I would call it NO ISSUE - there is nothing wrong with my new iPad!
  • Reply 23 of 61
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lazol View Post

I would call it NO ISSUE - there is nothing wrong with my new iPad!

Agreed, my family has had no issues our new iPads.

I have come to strongly believe that there is a subsection of society that:

Applauds any failure

Will decry the slightest perceived flaws

Will deride proponents of same

Having said that, I don't wish ill for Microsoft and Nokia. Success for Microsoft and Nokia are not really competing directly with the Apple iPhone, they are competing with Google, et al.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Nokia executive Chris Weber, the glitch is caused by a memory-management issue and is not a problem with the hardware or AT&T's network.

To make amends, Nokia told the publication that it will offer a $100 credit to all Lumia 900 buyers. Since the device costs $99 on contract, the company is basically offering the phone for free. The credit is available to any customers who buy the handset before 12 a.m. pacific on April 21.

?The customer always comes first, and I think we?re showing it here,? Weber said.

This is the kind of action that Apple should have taken with the iPhone four. Not that much money, but just admitting it made a mistake...

Apple didn't because they thought they had control of everyone's minds (news, individuals, etc) and people wouldn't notice??!

Based on phone glitches and problems it has just been confirmed that Nokia cares more about the customer than Apple does... They are willing to admit they made a mistake without having to insist it isn't a problem and than trying to cover it up... only to admit it later.

That being said if this sells over 100,000 units i am gonna be suprised... Windows 7.5 phone just isn't polished and for the price you can get a better OS from Apple...
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Having said that, I don't wish ill for Microsoft and Nokia. Success for Microsoft and Nokia are not really competing directly with the Apple iPhone, they are competing with Google, et al.

I couldn't agree more.

MS and Nokia are trying to do something genuinely new, innovative, and different here. Much as I am not a fan of either company, I hope they sort out these teething troubles quickly and the phone does well in the marketplace. (At the expense of Google, of course).
  • Reply 26 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I was hoping to see some product updates, but I don't. I thought maybe the Air was updated, but couldn't tell without the (new) badge on the corner of their icons. I didn't know Apple already upgraded them to i5/i7 last year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Agreed, my family has had no issues with the new iPad.

I have come to strongly believe that there is a subsection of society that:

Applauds any failure

Will decry the slightest perceived flaws

Will deride proponents of same

Having said that, I don't wish ill for Microsoft and Nokia.

It's hard to tell. I think it's probably more the bandwagoning effect. You'll always see detractors, but whether any of the detractors are the same in most or all circumstances, is hard to know.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Sounds like the same issue affecting my 4S at times. It'll just drop data and I have to cycle airplane mode for it to work.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

"Analyst projections for Lumia 900 sales this quarter vary widely, with one analyst expecting as few as 140,000 sales a quarter."

There's no point in looking at analyst projections. First, the number quoted was long before anyone had even seen the phone, so it's hard to imagine how anyone would have any idea how well it would sell at that point. It actually turns out to be a pretty decent phone, albeit with some significant limitations. It could sell reasonably well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I wonder if it's right to actually call these "sales", when they're basically giving the product away for free? I mean, first AT&T did a 'get one free' pre-order promo on a NEW product (which I'm sure comprised the bulk of their pre-order "sales"), and now due to a glitch, the product will remain free for another 10 days....

As always, please learn how things work. Even for a phone which is listed as 'free' on the carrier's sites (or a $99 phone with $100 rebate as in this case), the phone manufacturer is getting a great deal of money and the consumer is paying a great deal of extra money. The carriers essentially front the money for the phone and then collect it back from the consumer over time. From Nokia's perspective, this is not a 'free' phone.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Sorry, our product is such a crap that we give it to you for free. What ? You don't want it ?

MS/Nokia can't afford ANY slip-ups. Not at this stage. They're teetering on the very edge as it is.

When Apple can confidently say "you're holding it wrong" and consumers barely even hear it over the noise of them tripping over each other to get their hands on Apple products, the ill-conceived MS/Nokia marriage is up against all that Apple mindshare. One major f-up and it's game over.

And according to the latest, it doesn't look too good:

http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-2-m...ces-sold-in-q1
  • Reply 30 of 61
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Beta testing indeed.

Guess this must have affected all 10 users.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nokia stock down 16.5% in pre-market after it cut guidance.

The Lumia 900 is doing well on Amazon.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:

The Lumia 900 is doing well on Amazon.

All things being relative. Those rankings are in the category "Cell Phones with Service". If you move to the parent category, "Cell Phones & Accessories" the cyan model ranks #81 -- two places below the InSassy Pink/Blue Cassette Tape Case / Skin / Cover for Apple iPhone. The Black model is #53, directly above the Disney 3d Stitch Movable Ear Flip Hard Case Cover for Iphone 4/4s.

So Amazon is selling slightly more Black Lumia 900s then they are iPhone cases based on the little blue Disney monster, Stich.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Apple never aired a commercial claiming every other tablet or phone is a beta test because it have an issue.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

Those are called "Lies".
  • Reply 35 of 61
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    after osx 10.7 and ios 5, people going to make fun of competitors software bugs? Glass houses for everyone.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

MS/Nokia can't afford ANY slip-ups. Not at this stage. They're teetering on the very edge as it is.

When Apple can confidently say "you're holding it wrong" and consumers barely even hear it over the noise of them tripping over each other to get their hands on Apple products, the ill-conceived MS/Nokia marriage is up against all that Apple mindshare. One major f-up and it's game over.

And according to the latest, it doesn't look too good:

http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-2-m...ces-sold-in-q1

Yes they can. Windows 8 is when they cannot afford slip-ups.

also note, as i posted earlier this "f-up" is better than Apple's.

MS and Nokia understand that when something doesn't work, you fix it, or something because of the problems it caused.

Apple seems to be growing farther and farther away from wanting to the best with consumers... (in terms of honestly and correcting mistakes)
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Nokia's response to this issue is outstanding. Promise a quick fix, give current customers a credit to their bill, and best of all: zero hiding from the issue. Good to see that they understand good customer service in light of a serious issue.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    I am impressed. They remembered everything they learned from Xbox's Red Ring of Death saga. It might cost them almost a billion but the goodwill generated afterward helped won customers over, and developers followed suit.

You remembered what happened to Playstation 3 when Sony pretend there was no trouble in paradise, right?

Jobs era Apple may prefer to hide glitches and bugs to keep its image of the perfection. Now Jobs is dead, would Tim or whoever succeed him have some humility to own up mistakes and offer to fix it, sincere or otherwise, if it happens again?

Asian customers Apple will be rely on for another 10 years don't mind if you show them you are flesh and blood humans, and owned up to your actions.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The old sign was better. The post-it note suggested temporariness to the downtime, while the new solid looking sign is a visual contradiction, since they'll be back soon, but the sign looks built to last.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muddybulldog View Post

So Amazon is selling slightly more Black Lumia 900s then they are iPhone cases based on the little blue Disney monster, Stich.

From this we can conclude ... Wait - what can we conclude from this?