Could Apple TV become iHD in 2012?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Your 4GB rip isn't near the quality of a Blu-Ray. And while Blu-Ray's video is compressed, the sound rarely is. Trust me... your 4GB "HD rip" would be insanely noticeable on 110"- and nowhere near the video or audio quality as a Blu-Ray. And on a 50" or so, if you were close enough (8 feet away or so), you would be able to noticeably tell as well. 4GB is DVD quality (DVDs are compressed below 4.7gb- the size of a DVD)... sorry to break it to you.

Numbers do not arbitrarily a "quality definition" make. In no way is my video "DVD quality".

Quote:

Argue all you want that "you" can't tell the difference

Ah, someone unwilling to listen to any position but their own. Ignore, then, the next bit I've typed but don't ignore the last.

Quote:

Chart and preceding text.

Ah, the famed "chart" that gets to tell me what my eyes can and cannot see. I've missed you.

Quote:

You're a moderator.... you. Seriously?

Having what to do with the quoted section? I geek out about the obscure stuff that Apple did. The Macintosh TV was a cool concept. So? sue me?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, someone unwilling to listen to any position but their own.

funniest post you've ever made. Pot... Meet kettle
  • Reply 23 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    IHD - really Apple can do better. They could recycle Cinema into iCinema for example.

However I don't think Apple will want to associate the name with traditional TVs. Instead they will choose naming that sets the product apart from the rest of the world. Apples goal will likely be to redefine the industry and you can't do that in terms of the old.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

IHD - really Apple can do better. They could recycle Cinema into iCinema for example.

True, but when you're looking for a name to be sold into every market around the world, using a name that's not going have any significant issues either offending or having trouble pronouncing in foreign languages is a plus (not a negative).
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Maybe a 40inch iHD could become a virtual desk if laid flat like the EXOdesk

Video of it in action @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5dlUi3DnrzA
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Here's a video of a 82-inch multi-touch display which could serve as a clue as to what Apple's iHD might be capable of @ http://vimeo.com/33046498

• Reply 27 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is they could add BluRay DRM to an iTV withou compromising Mac OS. In a nut shell the required DRM for BluRay adversely impacts any operating system built to support it. Build a version of IOS for ITV and that issue goes away.

Quote:

Software is one thing. There is no difference between buying a boxed version of iWork or downloading it over the App Store that gives you access to all your computers.

Well you do need that connection when you need to install/reinstall.

Quote:

But physical media is completely different. I could almost guarantee we will never see a Blu-Ray player in an iMac, but in an Apple TV set- if it was not included, that would be a deal killer for me- and I have every Apple everything known to man (see sig). Because here are the facts- a Blu-Ray movie just for video and sound is around 20-30gb (even though the disc is 25 or 50). Movies like Avatar w/ no special features or commentary- the video and sound comprise the entire 50gb. So you are looking at a hard drive of enormous size to house your movies. And of course, you couldn't stream a file that size for years (maybe a decade), because the infrastructure doesn't exist. So while yes, you can wifi stream 1080p- in order to do that, you would have to download the file, then stream it via wifi. And like I said, for true quality, you can only have 40-100 movies downloaded on a 2tb drive (if thats all it has).

I don't disagree with you on many points above. However you are coming at this from the past. I'd suggest that Apple is looking at this with an idea about what future devices will be like. I think it is fair to say that anything Apple ships will have far different capabilities than what people expect from a TV. I doubt Apples primary interest is even the movie watching crowd.

As a side note, so far in this thread I've seen very few comments from people that have any imagination what so ever. If this TV ever comes it will come with plenty of features never seen on a TV before. It will not be a single function device at all.

Quote:

So if Apple makes a 1080p TV- who gives a crap, because you won't watch anything in 1080p. Then I will have to attach a Blu-Ray player to the Apple TV in order to take advantage of the 1080p- taking away the beauty and simplicity that an Apple TV would provide.

Wants some virtual cheese to go with that virtual wine?

Seriously how many TVs now come with BluRay built in?

Quote:

Blu-Rays are awesome. While getting up and putting a disc in takes time, as well as renting or buying the movie, the quality is worth more than the convenience to me. On a comedy or whatever, quality won't matter, and streaming a movie would be fine, but when you throw in Avatar, Saving private Ryan, etc, I don't want low definition. If you're rocking a 32" with a Home Theatre in a Box sound system- then who cares if its blu ray with 1080p and True HD/Dolby DTS 7.1 or streaming 720p with Dolby Digital 5.1 at best- you won't tell the difference anyways- but for those who have a dedicated media room or a nice setup and want to experience movies in the best possible manner- there is no comparison.

I don't really think anybody disagrees with the quality of picture issue. I just don't think there is a lot of incentive for Apple here to support BluRay when boxes to handle that are $99.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

?I have every Apple everything known to man?

Quote:

?do you have a Pippin? An Apple Interactive Television Box? Ooh! Do you have the Macintosh TV?

How about an Apple Lisa?? An Apple AIX server?? Or, wait for it, a Skylab prototype?? ;^p

Someone really should put together the ultimate Apple Museum, with (at least) one of every Apple computing device made? From the original $666.66 Apple DIY kit to the latest & greatest; that would, indeed, be a sight to see?!

Come to think of it, that would be a GREAT idea for a new feature at Disney/Epcot?! With assorted pairs of animatronic Steves (they would change for each decade represented) to walk us through it all?!

I would take the kids to see that?!
  • Reply 29 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Someone really should put together the ultimate Apple Museum, with (at least) one of every Apple computing device made? From the original $666.66 Apple DIY kit to the latest & greatest; that would, indeed, be a sight to see?!

They could start with this one. . .

http://9to5mac.com/2011/12/05/from-t...-jobs-exhibit/
  • Reply 30 of 39
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Well, you go ahead there and make love to your bag of hurt. No one's stopping you from sticking to how the 1990s told you to do things.

Cool. Enjoy your fuzzy buffering video and getting raped by your ISP after bandwidth limits go into effect.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

I don't really think anybody disagrees with the quality of picture issue. I just don't think there is a lot of incentive for Apple here to support BluRay when boxes to handle that are $99.

Plus, Apple doesn't control distribution of BD movies. They don't want to sell anything that doesn't give them a continuous revenue stream. If Sony or Samsung sell a BD player, they never see another penny from that device. Every iDevice means apps, music, games, etc. constantly being purchased. It may be as low as 99 cents a purchase, but in volume they add up quick.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Cool. Enjoy your fuzzy buffering video and getting raped by your ISP after bandwidth limits go into effect.

I have no bandwidth limits. I have no caps. I have no throttling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Plus, Apple doesn't control distribution of BD movies.

Of course not. But they WILL eventually control distribution of 1080p files.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    "When you're young, you look at television and think, There's a conspiracy. The networks have conspired to dumb us down. But when you get a little older, you realize that's not true. The networks are in business to give people exactly what they want. That's a far more depressing thought. Conspiracy is optimistic! You can shoot the bastards! We can have a revolution! But the networks are really in business to give people what they want. It's the truth."- Steve Jobs
  • Reply 34 of 39
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Was that a Linux reference ?
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Considering that Apple might call the new iPad the 'iPad HD' I think that Apple calling their line of HD smart TVs the 'iHD' becomes even more likely.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

I have no bandwidth limits. I have no caps. I have no throttling.

And you never, ever will. We promise. You can trust us.

Signed,

The Phone/Cable Company
  • Reply 37 of 39
    jjarojjaro Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iTV is already taken, so I guess it'll be iTV then

Ireland,

I am talking about your signature here:

You disagree? Why? What about video game consoles? What about a Roku? What about a cable box? If it's Apple-only and nothing else, it WILL be a failure. This is a potential TV here, not something Apple-only. Fortunately, they aren't that foolish. But I probably won't buy one anyway. I like Samsung's TVs too much to switch to an LG display.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    jjarojjaro Posts: 29member
    Quote:

That is they could add BluRay DRM to an iTV withou compromising Mac OS. In a nut shell the required DRM for BluRay adversely impacts any operating system built to support it. Build a version of IOS for ITV and that issue goes away.

Well you do need that connection when you need to install/reinstall.

I don't disagree with you on many points above. However you are coming at this from the past. I'd suggest that Apple is looking at this with an idea about what future devices will be like. I think it is fair to say that anything Apple ships will have far different capabilities than what people expect from a TV. I doubt Apples primary interest is even the movie watching crowd.

As a side note, so far in this thread I've seen very few comments from people that have any imagination what so ever. If this TV ever comes it will come with plenty of features never seen on a TV before. It will not be a single function device at all.

Seriously how many TVs now come with BluRay built in?

Dude, several TV's overseas have built-in Blu-Ray. They are very expensive, but they have it. I live in Japan (they love Apple here too) and see this on TV a lot. But I don't disagree with you. Chance in hell it'll have it, AND personally, I don't want it in there!
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CommonSense84 View Post

How come?

"Blu-ray is hurt bag, this I know

For Steve Jobs tells me so"

The serious answer is because you can't buy blu-ray discs from the iTunes store.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize this was a zombie thread and I said pretty much the same thing last year.