Exhibits in Oracle case show Google expected Android to take 33% of iPad market in 2011

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    No problems with Posting using my iPad so far. As can bee seen.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Strange. I might try it again tonight. Couldn't post, or even "like" post for a couple of nights.

• Reply 23 of 55
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At the end of Apple's second year of iPad sales, the company had sold 67 million units, 25 million more than Morgan Stanley had anticipated for the entire global market.

You are comparing iPad sales from Q2/2010 to Q1/2012 with the prediction of 2010 + 2011. The correct sales numbers are 14.8 million + 40.5 million.

So Apple sold 13.3 million more than Morgan Stanley had predicted.

BTW Google really expected Android customers to replace their Android phones in 2012 & 2013 by 100% with a new Android phone. image

• Reply 24 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What would Android's share of the phone market be had Apple origionally released iPhone on AT&T, Verizon and Spint?
  • Reply 25 of 55

This trial has really made android and Google look terrible.

Apple should starve Google for biting the hand that feeds. Start with dumping google maps.

• Reply 26 of 55

overdue - I like google maps but jeaz why doesn't it have a scale on the iPhone?

• Reply 27 of 55
    The original google phone looks so vulgar, and a cheap blackberry ripoff
  • Reply 28 of 55
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

It's funny that iOS seems to be directly funding Android. If Apple could figure out a way to cut off the profits Google is getting from iOS then Android would probably disappear. It's weird, but I actually find myself rooting for Windows Phone to succeed because the fandroids are so annoying. Microsoft still can't get their act together though. The Nokia Lumia 900 was supposed to be a huge hit for Windows Phone and it's barely made a dent.

• Reply 29 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

It's funny that iOS seems to be directly funding Android. If Apple could figure out a way to cut off the profits Google is getting from iOS then Android would probably disappear. It's weird, but I actually find myself rooting for Windows Phone to succeed because the fandroids are so annoying. Microsoft still can't get their act together though. The Nokia Lumia 900 was supposed to be a huge hit for Windows Phone and it's barely made a dent.

What do you think iAds are all about? Apple isn't cutting Google's profits off entirely, but they're sure taking a bite out of them.

• Reply 30 of 55
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member

It is interesting that Apple have already sold more iPads in the first quarter than Google had predicted all Android tablets for the whole 2012 year.

• Reply 31 of 55
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 605member

I wish Apple would(could?) just ban all ad networks from iOS other than iAds.

• Reply 32 of 55
    icelusicelus Posts: 49member
    Apple needs to keep Google around to avoid becoming at target of anti monopoly laws.

It is becoming more and more obvious that Apple has won. Simply everyone you see has an iPhone. Google will still be struggling with a Siri competitor when Apple releases the next hot new thing.

Maybe the android lunatics have already disappeared, they seem terribly quiet.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Apple has figured out a way to cut Google's ad profits, Siri.  She completely bypasses all the advertised ads you would typically see when doing "a normal" search from www.google.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

btw, does this forum work on Safari? I can't post on both my Mac and iPad. (Oh, this new forum is a nightmare to post. It's not working correctly even with Firefox.)

My results have been flakey at best.  This new forum design has been such a step backwards it should be embarrassing.  It is obvious no one thought to see what the forums look like on an iPhone.  I use to visit the site often when standing in line, waiting for some one, etc. but now I don't bother.  It's too much of a hassle to zoom and pan constantly.  It might work great on an iPad but sucks on an iPhone.

• Reply 34 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

I wish Apple would(could?) just ban all ad networks from iOS other than iAds.

Not a chance. Too many developers make their money on ads and not all of them would switch to iAds.

Apple can make iAds more competitive - which they're doing. They can use Siri to bypass Google on non-application stuff. But I can't see any way they'd simply cut off third party ads entirely.

• Reply 35 of 55
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

My results have been flakey at best.  This new forum design has been such a step backwards it should be embarrassing.  It is obvious no one thought to see what the forums look like on an iPhone.  I use to visit the site often when standing in line, waiting for some one, etc. but now I don't bother.  It's too much of a hassle to zoom and pan constantly.  It might work great on an iPad but sucks on an iPhone.

AI forums were no better on an iPhone before the switch. Where the iPhone version of the main AI site is perfectly fine, once you clicked on the "comments" button in an article to go to the forums, everything became microscopic. It was like that before and it's like that now. I'm note sure what you're referring to.

• Reply 36 of 55

This nicely illustrates the necessity for marketing and business folks to be at least as expert in their fields as the engineers they hire are in theirs. Google is clearly suffering from very weak management. Their engineering is likely to be good enough though perhaps not at the level of Apple. 

Like Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying more or less, if you want to be the best, you have to hire the best. 

• Reply 37 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

This nicely illustrates the necessity for marketing and business folks to be at least as expert in their fields as the engineers they hire are in theirs. Google is clearly suffering from very weak management. Their engineering is likely to be good enough though perhaps not at the level of Apple. 

Like Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying more or less, if you want to be the best, you have to hire the best. 

Steve also directs the responsibility of a company's success to the CEO, who must have vision, and a board that do more than just try to preserve the status quo.

• Reply 38 of 55
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Gartner: Global Tablet PC Sales to Double to 119 M. Units This Year

2012/04/26

Taipei, April 26, 2012 (CENS)--Global sales of tablet PCs are estimated to double to 119 million units this year from 60 million units sold last year, with Apple Inc. to command a dominant share of 61.4%, according to Gartner Inc., a British global PC market researcher. 

Gartner’s latest report indicates that Apple is expected to sell around 73 million units of iPad worldwide this year, more than Hewlett-Packard Co.’s PCs in sales volume. The market researcher also projects optimistically that global sales of tablet PCs will surge to 180 million units in 2013 to near those of ordinary laptops. 

Of the estimated tablet PC sales, models powered by Google’s Android mobile operating system will account for 38 million units this year. Gartner pointed out that the sales volume will continue to rise to 61-some million units in 2013, but can’t match that of Apple’s iPad until 2016, when an estimate of 170 million units of iPad and 130 million units of Android-installed tablets will be sold. 

As to the Microsoft’s Windows 8, which has been long awaited by global non-iPad tablet vendors to shake up Apple’s leading status in the competitive landscape, Gartner opines that sales of tablets installed with this new operating system will total only 4.86 million units this year, but will shoot up to 14.5 million units for a 7.9% share of the total tablet PC sales in 2013. 

Gartner emphasized that non-iPad suppliers still have a long way to go to catch up with Apple, though they have been working hard on differentiating hardware specifications and application systems of their models to attract consumers. Of the total sales of 60-some million tablet PCs last year, only 17 million units were non-iPad models, according to Gartner’s report. 

But, the launch of Windows 8 is likely to cast a ray of hopes for non-iPad suppliers targeting the commercial segment, Gartner furthered, mainly because most enterprises are more familiar with Microsoft’s PC operating systems, which will grant these suppliers a promising opportunity for boosting their overall sales in the short term. In 2015, the market researcher continued, commercial tablets will command a 35% share of the total sales. 

According to Gartner, Android isn't doing as bad as everyone here is stating. It's still a viable market and growing rapidly this year.

• Reply 39 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Gartner: Global Tablet PC Sales to Double to 119 M. Units This Year

2012/04/26

Taipei, April 26, 2012 (CENS)--Global sales of tablet PCs are estimated to double to 119 million units this year from 60 million units sold last year, with Apple Inc. to command a dominant share of 61.4%, according to Gartner Inc., a British global PC market researcher. 

Gartner’s latest report indicates that Apple is expected to sell around 73 million units of iPad worldwide this year, more than Hewlett-Packard Co.’s PCs in sales volume. The market researcher also projects optimistically that global sales of tablet PCs will surge to 180 million units in 2013 to near those of ordinary laptops. 

Of the estimated tablet PC sales, models powered by Google’s Android mobile operating system will account for 38 million units this year. Gartner pointed out that the sales volume will continue to rise to 61-some million units in 2013, but can’t match that of Apple’s iPad until 2016, when an estimate of 170 million units of iPad and 130 million units of Android-installed tablets will be sold. 

As to the Microsoft’s Windows 8, which has been long awaited by global non-iPad tablet vendors to shake up Apple’s leading status in the competitive landscape, Gartner opines that sales of tablets installed with this new operating system will total only 4.86 million units this year, but will shoot up to 14.5 million units for a 7.9% share of the total tablet PC sales in 2013. 

Gartner emphasized that non-iPad suppliers still have a long way to go to catch up with Apple, though they have been working hard on differentiating hardware specifications and application systems of their models to attract consumers. Of the total sales of 60-some million tablet PCs last year, only 17 million units were non-iPad models, according to Gartner’s report. 

But, the launch of Windows 8 is likely to cast a ray of hopes for non-iPad suppliers targeting the commercial segment, Gartner furthered, mainly because most enterprises are more familiar with Microsoft’s PC operating systems, which will grant these suppliers a promising opportunity for boosting their overall sales in the short term. In 2015, the market researcher continued, commercial tablets will command a 35% share of the total sales. 

According to Gartner, Android isn't doing as bad as everyone here is stating. It's still a viable market and growing rapidly this year.

You're really willing to pay attention to that article?

First, they're obviously including Kindle and other forked-Android products in the Android numbers. Kindle doesn't help Google or Android adoption at all, so really should be broken out separately.

Second, they're using Android projections to compare to Apple's actual sales.

My favorite, however, is "Gartner pointed out that the sales volume will continue to rise to 61-some million units in 2013, but can’t match that of Apple’s iPad until 2016, when an estimate of 170 million units of iPad and 130 million units of Android-installed tablets will be sold." Wait a second, if 170 M iPads and 130 M Android tablets are sold, how has Android matched Apple?

These guys can't even do simple math.

And, of course, that assumes that all the Android tablet makers are content to continue to sell products that they don't make much (if any) money on.

• Reply 40 of 55
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're really willing to pay attention to that article?

First, they're obviously including Kindle and other forked-Android products in the Android numbers. Kindle doesn't help Google or Android adoption at all, so really should be broken out separately.

Second, they're using Android projections to compare to Apple's actual sales.

My favorite, however, is "Gartner pointed out that the sales volume will continue to rise to 61-some million units in 2013, but can’t match that of Apple’s iPad until 2016, when an estimate of 170 million units of iPad and 130 million units of Android-installed tablets will be sold." Wait a second, if 170 M iPads and 130 M Android tablets are sold, how has Android matched Apple?

These guys can't even do simple math.

And, of course, that assumes that all the Android tablet makers are content to continue to sell products that they don't make much (if any) money on.

As much as I'm willing to give an article from The Verge any notice. The point is sales for Tablets with Android are growing and it is still a money maker.