Former Apple retail chief under fire as JC Penney stock plummets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    Ok mr. Ron Johnson are u listening??? I am one of those customers who will ONLY ENTER JCP with a coupon in hand or coupon discounted sales - since the last time I entered your JCP store at 34th st NYC and was told they dont accept coupons ANYMORE I never returned but instead walked up a 2 blocks to MACY'S where there was a plethora of sales with coupon discounts- so unless you return to this model JCP will continue to report losses... Oh well ...
  • Reply 22 of 80
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

Man oh man...he should just copy H&M....up to date style and great, great prices. As long as you are slim...

...which excludes 66% of Americans. Crap, forget I mentioned it.

P.S. The tag on the JCP dresses says, "One Size Fits....Japan."

• Reply 23 of 80
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member

I myself am in entertainment marketing here in Los Angeles..

Am familiar with JCP as it's now called.

Johnson's changes are "shedding" their old customers in hopes of attracting new "core" customers that assimilate with the "rebranding" of JCP.  No surprise here whatsoever.

What happens when you shed your old core customer?  Sales and profits tank, decline, what have you.  What happens when clever marketing and remodeled and upgraded branding hits the actual brick and mortar?  New core will equal new profits.  Bumps for a while into their fiscal year and beyond but if his plan works -- it will eventually turn the corner and force tacky deal driven stores like Macys into it's own re-branding. Mark my words.  Macy's is next.

Personally Macy's has become what was wrong with JCP...

'Member folks -- Johnson helped morph TARGET into what it is today... So be careful....

• Reply 24 of 80
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Sorry Ron, you can put lipstick on that pig but you can't sell it like an Apple

But you can put an Apple in the pig's mouth and roast it.

• Reply 25 of 80
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    postulant wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to expect him to turn around the company in as little as six months. And critics come with the territory - Even Apple with all its success isn't immune to it.

Indeed. Not even Apple has had everything go gold right off. And some stuff like MobileMe was ultimately so bad they did a total revamp and even changed the name to try to avoid the bad taste left behind.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Ok mr. Ron Johnson are u listening??? I am one of those customers who will ONLY ENTER JCP with a coupon in hand or coupon discounted sales - since the last time I entered your JCP store at 34th st NYC and was told they dont accept coupons ANYMORE I never returned but instead walked up a 2 blocks to MACY'S where there was a plethora of sales with coupon discounts- so unless you return to this model JCP will continue to report losses... Oh well ...

And if it turns out at for every you that insists on a coupon or special sale there are 10 folks who hate dealing with at nonsense do you think Mr Johnson will care that he lost you. Nope, he wont
  • Reply 27 of 80
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

I don’t know much about Penney, but two people recently have said the store "doesn’t carry good clothes anymore." Whatever that means.... but possibly there’s a product-selection problem. Or a mismatch between product selection and the people who are showing up to buy.

• Reply 28 of 80
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwik View Post

It is pretty self evident that Ron Johnson is the most talented person who could be CEO of JC Penney at this time.   He might fail.  But they should be glad he has come to try to save them and create some sort of relevance for JC Penney.

I think it's one of the most exciting stories in business today.  Might buy a few shares just to keep track.

+1.....

• Reply 29 of 80
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hiro wrote: »
    The Mythbusters did in fact polish shit to a fairly high gloss.  Myth/saying busted.

But we know what you really meant.

They did indeed, I stand corrected lol
  • Reply 30 of 80
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Ron needs more time. Once his plans are fulfilled for JCP that's when the market will have a clearer picture of how successful his efforts will be.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Harder to sell crap clothes and housewares than stuff that people are beating down your door for, then?

• Reply 32 of 80
    So true
  • Reply 33 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

This will take some time to sort out.  I think Johnson has probably rushed some of his plan too quickly, as he still has to get some of the other things in place.  And I think the marketing message has been unclear, but that can be fixed quickly.  Once those things take hold it will just be a matter of time until we know if the new customers are coming in quantities that justify the changes.  I really, really hope they do, and I really hope that Johnson is given enough time to see this mission through.

I'm not so sure that Johnson was moving too quickly, however, from what he said, the advertising company jcp is using was ineffectual in communicating the change. Now, I don't know if he was just scape goating the ad agency, or this was the opening shot to replace the existing as agency for one that is going to more effectively carry the message. The latter is more likely. 

The new ads that I saw around the end of 2011 were much more captivating than the usual jcp ads, which never left an impression in my memory. Also the catalog sent out via the mail was much more memorable. So much so, that I saved it for reference.

• Reply 34 of 80
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Penny's (nee JCP, how creative of them) lost me several years ago, when I tried to return some gifted merchandise that I didn't have the receipt for.  Even Wal-Mart doesn't try to screw you the way they did (maintaining a record of the lowest price in the last 60 days, even if it was only for  a single day, and forcing that value on you, rather than current value).

Maybe their policies have changed since then, but odds are I will never waste my time to find out.

• Reply 35 of 80
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

I myself am in entertainment marketing here in Los Angeles..

Am familiar with JCP as it's now called.

Johnson's changes are "shedding" their old customers in hopes of attracting new "core" customers that assimilate with the "rebranding" of JCP.  No surprise here whatsoever.

What happens when you shed your old core customer?  Sales and profits tank, decline, what have you.  What happens when clever marketing and remodeled and upgraded branding hits the actual brick and mortar?  New core will equal new profits.  Bumps for a while into their fiscal year and beyond but if his plan works -- it will eventually turn the corner and force tacky deal driven stores like Macys into it's own re-branding. Mark my words.  Macy's is next.

Personally Macy's has become what was wrong with JCP...

'Member folks -- Johnson helped morph TARGET into what it is today... So be careful....

Yes, I agree.

This won't happen overnight. And if it never happens (the re-educating of American consumers about what 'value' really means), it won't be his fault, but the fault of people who expect "FREE" and "CHEAP" and "COUPONS" to be the answer to their prayers. What will be his fault is his expectation that he, alone, could change the consumer mindset.

I have to say, though, that their web site and iPhone/iPad "app" (if you can call it that) are complete crap.

• Reply 36 of 80
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But… Apple products are nothing but the Ginsu knives of the tech world! The only thing that makes people buy low-end hardware at top-of-the-line prices is the marketing!

Are you saying that Apple products are cheap, low-end hardware wrapped in fancy marketing? Just asking.

I spent the last two days fixing a computer for my employer that has crapped out for the countless time because she doesn't understanding that buying cheap results in cheap. And she bought the cheapest ink cartridges and then failed to install one of them properly. It leaked and ruined the printer. *shakes his head*

Moral of the story - don't buy cheap if you want reliability. Now, back to the JCP story where "every day is cheap".

• Reply 37 of 80

Really? Betsey Johnson? 

Betsey Johnson Files for Chapter 11 http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303990604577368491252250420.html

• Reply 38 of 80

When a store starts offering sales all the time customers learn that the listed price is a joke. If you ever pay full price on anything, you are a fool because the next sale will only be a week or two away. The problem JC Penny's is facing right now is customers are still in the old mindset. They go in. Find something they like. The price is good, but it's not on sale, so they decide to wait. It won't take long for the customers to learn that that sale is never going to come, so I'd expect sales to return to normal before long.

• Reply 39 of 80
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Indeed. Not even Apple has had everything go gold right off. And some stuff like MobileMe was ultimately so bad they did a total revamp and even changed the name to try to avoid the bad taste left behind.

But would iCloud be what it is today without them having done MobileMe? I think people need to remember that work builds on itself to build better works.

• Reply 40 of 80
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    I'm not so sure that Johnson was moving too quickly, however, from what he said, the advertising company jcp is using was ineffectual in communicating the change. Now, I don't know if he was just scape goating the ad agency, or this was the opening shot to replace the existing as agency for one that is going to more effectively carry the message. The latter is more likely. 

The new ads that I saw around the end of 2011 were much more captivating than the usual jcp ads, which never left an impression in my memory. Also the catalog sent out via the mail was much more memorable. So much so, that I saved it for reference.

If a company scapegoats its agency then it's basically admitting that it has an incompetent marketing department since nothing would make it to air without the express approval of the JCP folks. A retailer that doesn't understand it's customers deserves to fail.

That said, investors will probably believe it and as others have said, this is a marathon not s sprint. Way too early to tell how it will all play out. I quite liked the weird abstract ads for each season/month but Target beat them with the catchy Alouette/color ads.