2012 iPhone to feature larger-display design that Steve Jobs worked on

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why can't obvious trolling and fabrications, like Relic's asinine cry for negative attention above, get a poster banned? They never add a single fraking thing to any conversation.

Why is what I said fabricated or untrue, does the current iPhone 4 use Gorilla Glass, no, is the phone's screen easy to crack, yes. Especially in the hands of a teenager, it's getting expensive replacing the damn glass. Most of you probably treat your devices very well, most active children do not. My sons Nokia Lumia fell out have his pocket while he was climbing on a jungle gym about 12 feet in the air, the thing hit a rock bounced off with just a scratch on the side. My daughters iPhone drops less then 3 feet onto concrete and the screen gets cracked. The phone still works but non the less we had to replace the screen, three times this has happened. There are countless videos on youtube, forum posts and news reports about the screen.

All I'm asking is will the next iPhone have Gorilla glass as I would like to replace my daughters with it, she needs something tougher.

I'm also getting tired of you calling me a troll, the only time I mention Android is in response to a post about Android. Besides, if you have noticed my posting has been almost none existent lately as I'm not even lucid half the time. Just wait it out, I won't be around here much longer.

Drop Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO4pDZtbbVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=elKxgsrJFhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j72MNAdHzMA

• Reply 82 of 93
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why is what I said fabricated or untrue, does the current iPhone 4 use Gorilla Glass, no, .

Yes.  Apple got Corning to start making Gorilla Glass as a commercial product in the first place.  I'd point you to the hundreds of articles describing how Jobs got Corning to revive a dead product just for the iPhone but that would be pointless.  Corning has been making iPhone glass since day one and continues to this day.

And you're a troll spreading FUD because even someone half lucid won't be this assertive about a topic that can be easily solved by googling "Gorilla Glass iPhone".

Especially someone half lucid because they might be inclined to think "well, maybe I'm wrong about that gorilla glass thing...I should google it".

• Reply 83 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yes.  Apple got Corning to start making Gorilla Glass as a commercial product in the first place.  I'd point you to the hundreds of articles describing how Jobs got Corning to revive a dead product just for the iPhone but that would be pointless.  Corning has been making iPhone glass since day one and continues to this day.

And you're a troll spreading FUD because even someone half lucid won't be this assertive about a topic that can be easily solved by googling "Gorilla Glass iPhone".

Especially someone half lucid because they might be inclined to think "well, maybe I'm wrong about that gorilla glass thing...I should google it".

I did, just the original iPhone used it, I think Apple uses glass from http://www.lenstech.com/ now . I'm not starting a fight, I'm just asking if anyone has heard if the new iPhone will include it now, that's it.

List of phones that use it by the way.

• Reply 84 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nht wrote: »

Whilst that story is well known among tech sites what is less known is that the factory Corning converted was in Kentucky which Apple has directly commented on in a more recent webpage that mentions Corning, Kentucky and glass.

But I suppose some might say that isn't proof Apple is using alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass and that Apple could just as easily be using sugar glass.
  • Reply 85 of 93

Quote:

Whilst that story is well known among tech sites what is less known is that the factory Corning converted was in Kentucky which Apple has directly commented on in a more recent webpage that mentions Corning, Kentucky and glass. But I suppose some might say that isn't proof Apple is using alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass and that Apple could just as easily be using sugar glass.

The iPad uses it. So is this proof that the new iPhone will have it then? Look my daughter has a birthday coming up as she want's a new iPhone, I would prefer her waiting for the new one, especially if it will have a stronger glass. I didn't want to get into an argument nor start anyting that I truly meant no malice over, I have been on the internet trying to find any news on this. It's just a simple question.

• Reply 86 of 93

Stop with the unreferenced wikipedia entry.  First you don't say it's wikipedia and second, it's wikipedia.

Until March, Apple never admitted to using Corning glass at all and given that original relationship Corning is happy to oblige Apple by not citing Apple as a customer.  according to Pogue's source Apple is the number one consumer of Gorilla glass in 2010.  Finally Apple confirmed this in their US Jobs report.

U.S. Jobs Supported by Apple

A study by Analysis Group found that Apple has directly or indirectly created 304,000 U.S. jobs.*These jobs — spread across all 50 states — include thousands of jobs in numerous industries, from the people who create components for our products to the people who build the planes and trucks that carry them to our customers. For example, this figure also includes workers in Texas who manufacture processors for iOS products, Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone, and FedEx and UPS employees. Together with the 210,000 iOS jobs generated by the app economy, these 304,000 jobs make a total of 514,000 U.S. jobs created or supported by Apple

http://www.apple.com/about/job-creation/

So clearly the 4S is sporting Gorilla Glass or possibly a special formulation of GG just for Apple.  It's not some Chinese knock off that trolls claim or even the Dragontail from Asahi rumored to be used in the iPad 2.

• Reply 87 of 93

Quote:

Stop with the unreferenced wikipedia entry.  First you don't say it's wikipedia and second, it's wikipedia.

Until March, Apple never admitted to using Corning glass at all and given that original relationship Corning is happy to oblige Apple by not citing Apple as a customer.  according to Pogue's source Apple is the number one consumer of Gorilla glass in 2010.  Finally Apple confirmed this in their US Jobs report.

U.S. Jobs Supported by Apple

A study by Analysis Group found that Apple has directly or indirectly created 304,000 U.S. jobs.*These jobs — spread across all 50 states — include thousands of jobs in numerous industries, from the people who create components for our products to the people who build the planes and trucks that carry them to our customers. For example, this figure also includes workers in Texas who manufacture processors for iOS products, Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone, and FedEx and UPS employees. Together with the 210,000 iOS jobs generated by the app economy, these 304,000 jobs make a total of 514,000 U.S. jobs created or supported by Apple

http://www.apple.com/about/job-creation/

So clearly the 4S is sporting Gorilla Glass or possibly a special formulation of GG just for Apple.  It's not some Chinese knock off that trolls claim or even the Dragontail from Asahi rumored to be used in the iPad 2.

Great, thanks, then here's hoping that they'll use the second generation Gorilla Glass 2 or possibly make the iPhone lighter as I noticed on other forums they mentioned that the weight might contribute to the ease at which the glass breaks when dropped. I did notice that the glass used now doesn't scratch easily though so that's a good thing. I think we will also purchase a better hard case to protect it.

• Reply 88 of 93
    relic wrote: »
    The iPad uses it. So is this proof that the new iPhone will have it then? Look my daughter has a birthday coming up as she want's a new iPhone, I would prefer her waiting for the new one, especially if it will have a stronger glass. I didn't want to get into an argument nor start anyting that I truly meant no malice over, I have been on the internet trying to find any news on this. It's just a simple question.

So based on the info from Corning which doesn't mention the iPad and based on the info from Apple which doesn't single out the iPad you've determined that for your initial comment to be true that you must claim that this applies only to the iPad despite having just as much proof as to say the iPhone doesn't use alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass. Denial much?

Let's look at the facts. Steve Jobs didn't want to use plastic on the iPhone because it scratched easily. Steve Jobs new that glass that didn't scratch easily but that it was too easily broken when used in very thin sheets. Steve Jobs found an option that not only allowed Apple to use very thin sheet glass on their touch devices but also helped Corning start a new arm of their business and help other vendors of many products create products with flexible sheet glass. Yet despite all this you're claiming that Apple has said fu¢k it to alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass because on their latest phone because your daughter has broken her phone, you aren't seeing some laser-etching in the glass from Corning, there is no billboard outside your house saying that Apple using the only viable option for thin sheet glass, or whatever irrational idea you've concocted. Genius¡
  • Reply 89 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Actually the iPad 3 (whatever) probably doesn't.

GG is flexible up to a point and scratch resistant...but it's still glass and fairly thin at that.  The iPhone 4 design with unprotected edges will break if you drop it on the edge.

A bumper is recommended.  Frankly I keep mine in a pocket that I often forget and drop my keys into.  There's no protection on the face at all and I have one tiny scratch on it.  I've dropped mine too but I do have a bumper since I still have the original launch day AT&T iPhone 4.

The next iPhone will not have any stronger glass even if it has the GG2.  It'll just be thinner.  At this point you should just wait and include an ugly case* with her next iPhone.

*All cases, even just the bumper, detracts from the look of the iPhone IMHO.

• Reply 90 of 93
    nht wrote: »
    Actually the iPad 3 (whatever) probably doesn't.

GG is flexible up to a point and scratch resistant...but it's still glass and fairly thin at that.  The iPhone 4 design with unprotected edges will break if you drop it on the edge.

A bumper is recommended.  Frankly I keep mine in a pocket that I often forget and drop my keys into.  There's no protection on the face at all and I have one tiny scratch on it.  I've dropped mine too but I do have a bumper since I still have the original launch day AT&T iPhone 4.

The next iPhone will not have any stronger glass even if it has the GG2.  It'll just be thinner.  At this point you should just wait and include an ugly case* with her next iPhone.

*All cases, even just the bumper, detracts from the look of the iPhone IMHO.

I'd wager they'd go for GG2 so they can have the 20% thinner glass. I'm also thinking the next iPhone won't likely have the sandwich design that is being used today. Using the same case design for 2 years seems smart but i also think it's smart to have something that looks very new after 2 years.

I'd also wager that since Apple doesn't appear to have negotiated an exclusive contract for GG (or GG2 since we're hearing about it before it was available) I'm guessing Apple is being compensated in other ways for their assistance in helping Corning.
  • Reply 91 of 93

Quote:

At this point you should just wait and include an ugly case* with her next iPhone.

Strike that.  If what you imply is true just get her the phone, applecare+ and a case.  You have more important things to do than worry about what glass is on the front of some phone. It's only $49 if she does break it if you paid for Applecare+.

• Reply 92 of 93
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Why can't obvious trolling and fabrications, like Relic's asinine cry for negative attention above, get a poster banned? They never add a single fraking thing to any conversation.

Agreed.  I am unaware of any evidence supporting the conclusion that the Apple iPhone 4S doesn't use Corning Gorilla Glass.

Notably, Android-based smartphones have a significantly higher rate of hardware issues than competitors according to WDS.  While this metric doesn't specifically measure the durability of the display, the metric measures issues with hardware reliability overall which is arguably a far more important metric.

• Reply 93 of 93
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Other companies have released larger screens without any rationalization than merely - here is a phone with a larger screen, as if that speaks for itself.

That's not Apple's history. They won't change the screen size without explaining the functional advantages. For sure, they ain't gonna say, "we made the screen slightly larger to catch up with others but our phone is still smaller." They will have a convincing selling point (valid or not). I'm looking forward to that pitch more than the larger screen itself.

Gruber has speculated that the screen growth may be in length - i.e. they won't keep the resolution and simply decrease PPI.  Instead, PPI will remain the same and there will be more pixels lengthwise. Current apps (and all those that need to be backward compatible with current and past iPhones) will continue to occupy the 960 x 640 real estate while some new apps, not to mention videos, can take advantage of the increase in screen size.

If he is right, that can prove interesting (or confusing).

Personally, I don't really know which I like less, losing 2:3 or discomfort in normal use. I really think the display is good as is, and AirPlay the answer to the screen size. I may end up loving whatever happens, but I do think the size of the screen should be a low priority for Apple. The idea of a larger size iPod display is more appealing to me, if Apple really feels it needs to add more SKUs to the mix.