Absinthe 2.0 jailbreaks most iDevices running iOS 5.1.1

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Can you elaborate as to why they are meaningless?

We know the approximate number of jailbreakers already. Just get the piracy numbers and the others fall into place.

• Reply 42 of 97
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member

I personally don't care what the percentages are. I'm not the app police. If I want to jailbreak my iPad, that's exactly what I'm going to do. 

• Reply 43 of 97
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We know the approximate number of jailbreakers already. Just get the piracy numbers and the others fall into place.

How do you know the approximate number of jailbreakers?

• Reply 44 of 97
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    How do you know what anybody wants except yourself? You don't speak for me..

I want to be able to choose any SMS tone I want and jailbreaking makes this possible but I wish Apple would open up this kind of functionality.

If I wanted a phone with no consistency, clumsy to use, and prone to malware, I'd just get an Android device in the first place.
  • Reply 45 of 97
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If I wanted a phone with no consistency, clumsy to use, and prone to malware, I'd just get an Android device in the first place.

Whatever floats your boat champ.

• Reply 46 of 97
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

How do you know the approximate number of jailbreakers?

All jailbreaks install software like Cydia, so you could presumably get data on how many unique devices have accessed Cydia.

Quote:

I see your point, but it depends what the 'piracy numbers' are. To get an accurate ratio of pirates to jailbreakers, you'd need to either collect figures from every paid app, or do a lot of dubious extrapolation. Otherwise, how do you know how many pirates there are?

• Reply 47 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

To get an accurate ratio of pirates to jailbreakers, you'd need to either collect figures from every paid app, or do a lot of dubious extrapolation. Otherwise, how do you know how many pirates there are?

I'm certain Installous keeps records. They're the bragging type.

• Reply 48 of 97
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

But do they count recurrent jailbreaks as one?

• Reply 49 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

But do they count recurrent jailbreaks as one?

Installous is the app used to pirate apps… Nothing to do with jailbreaking itself.

• Reply 50 of 97
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Yeah, that would be interesting.

This wiki page suggests Installous has been installed on 'nearly 13 million different devices'. That might be a good place to start in figuring out the number of pirates, seeing as there's only really one reason to download Installous...

• Reply 51 of 97
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

¿Que?

I assume he was pointing out that the correct word is "cue" not "que" :)

• Reply 52 of 97
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I assume he was pointing out that the correct word is "cue" not "que" :)

Son of a ...I...uh

picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

• Reply 53 of 97
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Ho hum... this might be good news for some, bad news for some developers, but meh for me.  I have no desire to jailbreak.

For many people like me, this is great news for developers. Until I can jailbreak, I limit the number of apps I have. With the jailbreak, I'm willing to buy and install many more apps. I have 637 apps and without a jailbroken iPhone or iPad, it really sucks to keep them organized. Not to mention all the apps I'm able to buy through Cydia... those developers count too.

And yes, I don't have a single pirated app on any of my devices.
  • Reply 54 of 97

its easier then that all you need is plex as it can stream your content on you iMac to your phone and then you can throw it up to your big screen if you have an apple tv no need to even jail break as plex is an app on the app store and apple tv will allow you to stream the content through your iPhone or iPad and then it devise become your remote for plex.  http://www.plexapp.com/ check it out and let me know if that is what you wanted.  I don't work for plex or have anything to do with them I was just impressed with their app and setup was easy as pie.  App was $5 for iOS and free for mac OS X.  It is even in beta to allow you to stream content to your ps3 as well.

Bambam1648

• Reply 55 of 97
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    euphonious wrote: »
    Yeah, that would be interesting.

This wiki page suggests Installous has been installed on 'nearly 13 million different devices'. That might be a good place to start in figuring out the number of pirates, seeing as there's only really one reason to download Installous...

Sigh...

No, there are many reasons to download Installous. Here are a couple:
    1) To try before you buy.
    2) To download a previous version of an app paid or free version that works where the new version doesn't due to some bug.
    3) To download a fixed version of an app that was abandoned by the developer.

I've done all three of these and have 637 apps for my iPhones and iPads, and even more purchased (or free) from Cydia. Not a single one of my apps is pirated.

By the way you not only don't need Installous to pirate, you don't even need to jailbreak.
  • Reply 56 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

2) To download a previous version of an app paid or free version that works where the new version doesn't due to some bug.

I've done all three of these and have 637 apps for my iPhones and iPads, and even more purchased (or free) from Cydia. Not a single one of my apps is pirated.

Blah, blah, blah, piracy.

• Reply 57 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Sigh...

By the way you not only don't need Installous to pirate, you don't even need to jailbreak.

Try before you buy would be a welcome addition to the App store. Pictures alone don't always give you a good indication of the how the app performs.

Abandoned apps should be taken off the app store or made to be free....I'm looking at you Kevin Bruton of the Quota app!

• Reply 58 of 97
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    How do you know what anybody wants except yourself? You don't speak for me..

I want to be able to choose any SMS tone I want and jailbreaking makes this possible but I wish Apple would open up this kind of functionality.

Last time I checked you can do that with iOS 5.
  • Reply 59 of 97
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    There may be many reasons to use Installous, but everyone I know uses it to pirate apps(steal). People even steal Cydia apps with the help of shady repos.

I personally don't mind paying a developer for his hard work. Many of my favorite apps don't fall within Apple's guidelines so I'm very thankful for Cydia - I have the best of both worlds.
  • Reply 60 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Last time I checked you can do that with iOS 5.

It gives you more tones to choose from but you cant pick any tone you want.