Absinthe 2.0 jailbreaks most iDevices running iOS 5.1.1

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    It gives you more tones to choose from but you cant pick any tone you want.

Yes you can. You can create or record any sound you want on you pc and sync it to your iPhone. Google it.
  • Reply 62 of 97
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yes you can. You can create or record any sound you want on you pc and sync it to your iPhone. Google it.

Well indeed you can! Thanks for that, I just have always done it the jailbreak way thinking you couldn't do it any other way.

• Reply 63 of 97
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member

Quasar is one of my new favorite jailbreak apps - It allows true multitasking - I love this app. None of that app switching business for me:

photo.PNG

• Reply 64 of 97
    Well indeed you can! Thanks for that, I just have always done it the jailbreak way thinking you couldn't do it any other way.

You're welcome. It isn't something I usually do but found out about it by accident few days ago. Also, with iOS 5 you can assign custom text message alert for individual contacts. I use that a lot.
  • Reply 65 of 97
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

1) To try before you buy.

2) To download a previous version of an app paid or free version that works where the new version doesn't due to some bug.

3) To download a fixed version of an app that was abandoned by the developer.

1) is piracy.  Even if you stop pirating by later buying the app, the initial use is still piracy. (I agree with the need for some try-before-buy feature, though, or at least a way to get an automatic refund if you delete an app within a short period.)

3) is piracy if you didn't pay for the app before it was abandoned.

2) is probably not piracy, but sounds like a bit of a fringe case.

• Reply 66 of 97
    macslut wrote: »
    Sigh...
    No, there are many reasons to download Installous. Here are a couple:
    1) To try before you buy.

How about you come work for me for 14 days unpaid. If I like your work I might hire you!
  • Reply 67 of 97

Quote:

How about you come work for me for 14 days unpaid. If I like your work I might hire you!

I see nothing wrong with the Android method of a refund as long as it's within 15 minutes. This way it will let you test the app to see if it works for you.

• Reply 68 of 97
    I see nothing wrong with the Android method of a refund as long as it's within 15 minutes. This way it will let you test the app to see if it works for you.

The 15 minutes period is more for "I bought this app by accident" than testing the app. You really can't test an app in 15 minutes unless it is $0.99 type of app.
  • Reply 69 of 97

Quote:

The 15 minutes period is more for "I bought this app by accident" than testing the app. You really can't test an app in 15 minutes unless it is $0.99 type of app.

I think you can if you are looking for certain functionality. A good example is a Office app with Google Docs integration. Some of them handle Google Docs better than others.

• Reply 70 of 97

error

• Reply 71 of 97

Error 00-01

• Reply 72 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Hmm... I currently use PS3 Media Server to stream (and encode on the fly) movies stored on my iMac to my PS3.

The creators of PS3 Media Server have since updated the software to support a range of other media renderers - including XBMC.

Am I right in thinking that with Absinthe, I could stream movies direct to an iPad then Airplay to an AppleTV?

If this works, I could then get rid of the PS3 and replace it with an AppleTV.

Also, I assume I'd have to Jailbreak the AppleTV - would that be correct?

Has anyone got this working? 

Install XBMC on Apple TV.  Play movies from your NAS (I use a NAS rather than my Mac or PC to save energy costs) directly to your Apple TV, no need for transcoding as XBMC will play most formats including ISO's and VOBs. No need to go thru the iPad as it will go directly to the Apple TV.

• Reply 73 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by bambam1648 View Post

its easier then that all you need is plex as it can stream your content on you iMac to your phone and then you can throw it up to your big screen if you have an apple tv no need to even jail break as plex is an app on the app store and apple tv will allow you to stream the content through your iPhone or iPad and then it devise become your remote for plex.  http://www.plexapp.com/ check it out and let me know if that is what you wanted.  I don't work for plex or have anything to do with them I was just impressed with their app and setup was easy as pie.  App was $5 for iOS and free for mac OS X.  It is even in beta to allow you to stream content to your ps3 as well.

Bambam1648

Actually VLC Streamer is a much better product if you want to stream to your Apple TV without jail-breaking.  No need to go thru another device such as an iPad or iPhone so you save energy and hassle. Stream & transcode ISO's or other formats directly to Apple TV, iPod etc using the fantastic VLC player. You can even download a whole movie/tv show to your iPhone or iPad to watch on the go. I don;t work for VLC streamer either.

• Reply 74 of 97
    I think you can if you are looking for certain functionality. A good example is a Office app with Google Docs integration. Some of them handle Google Docs better than others.

I am not against trial periods. I am against forcing every developer to give free trials of his apps. The current in-app purchase system offer developers an options to offer free trial period. Many developers are using it that way.
  • Reply 75 of 97

Quote:

I am not against trial periods. I am against forcing every developer to give free trials of his apps. The current in-app purchase system offer developers an options to offer free trial period. Many developers are using it that way.

Would you agree that 15 mins wouldn't hurt anyone? That why the user actually buys the app and gets a refund if it doesn't workout. 

• Reply 76 of 97
    pismo500pismo500 Posts: 11member

I have a 16gb GDSM (Verizon) iPhone 4 running IOS 5.1.1 which has never been jailbroken... I have a G5 iMac and attempted to run absinthe 2.0.1 to jailbreak it for the first time (It will launch on a PPC Mac)... I ran absinthe and followed the apps directions and had problems when it was attempting to finish and all it did was restore the phone. Am I doing something wrong or is it that I am attempting to do this on a non Intel Mac? Also, this evening, I was finally able to get into the absinthe website and followed their instructions for first timers and got the same results... Any suggestions?

• Reply 77 of 97
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bambam1648 View Post

its easier then that all you need is plex as it can stream your content on you iMac to your phone and then you can throw it up to your big screen if you have an apple tv no need to even jail break as plex is an app on the app store and apple tv will allow you to stream the content through your iPhone or iPad and then it devise become your remote for plex.  http://www.plexapp.com/ check it out and let me know if that is what you wanted.  I don't work for plex or have anything to do with them I was just impressed with their app and setup was easy as pie.  App was $5 for iOS and free for mac OS X.  It is even in beta to allow you to stream content to your ps3 as well.

Bambam1648

Quote:

Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

Install XBMC on Apple TV.  Play movies from your NAS (I use a NAS rather than my Mac or PC to save energy costs) directly to your Apple TV, no need for transcoding as XBMC will play most formats including ISO's and VOBs. No need to go thru the iPad as it will go directly to the Apple TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

Actually VLC Streamer is a much better product if you want to stream to your Apple TV without jail-breaking.  No need to go thru another device such as an iPad or iPhone so you save energy and hassle. Stream & transcode ISO's or other formats directly to Apple TV, iPod etc using the fantastic VLC player. You can even download a whole movie/tv show to your iPhone or iPad to watch on the go. I don;t work for VLC streamer either.

Hi guys,

Thanks for that great info! I'm going to check out Plex, XBMC and VLC Player

Before checking back here, I have discovered an application called ServeToMe and StreamToMe (info).

I've been playing around with it and so far it has been great! I can now stream from my iMac to my iPhone 4S and it encodes on the fly. It currently supports the TV Out cable so I could hook up my iPhone to my TV.

VLC Streamer seems like a great way to go in order to bypass the iPhone and not Jailbreak at all.

I will definitely check out the other recommendations.

I like the idea of a NAS drive to store Movies and send all around the house. What in your opinion is a reliable NAS drive for Mac (my router is a Belkin F7D4301 Play Max).

Thanks again for your help guys!

• Reply 78 of 97
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Jailbroke my iPad 3 early yesterday morning. I don't pirate apps. I simply ungimp iOS. Now that I have file system access, I can be much more productive. Being able to upload or freely download in Safari opens up a plethora of new functionality which will further eliminate my dependence on a laptop or Android device.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    euphonious wrote: »
    1) is piracy.  Even if you stop pirating by later buying the app, the initial use is still piracy. (I agree with the need for some try-before-buy feature, though, or at least a way to get an automatic refund if you delete an app within a short period.)

3) is piracy if you didn't pay for the app before it was abandoned.
    2) is probably not piracy, but sounds like a bit of a fringe case.

You're assuming piracy with intent of malice here.

1) (Try before you buy) Is only piracy with malice if it extended beyond trying or no purchase was made. Any actual real trying before buying only helps developers. The only time it hurts them is if it isn't actually trying before buying. I rarely try before I buy myself, but I have done it with expensive apps that have no free trial version or in-app upgrade to the full app.

3) What the hell kind of comment is that? Ya, it's piracy if it's piracy and it's not if it's not. If you paid for it or if it was free then of course it's not pirated. The point is that Installous is one way of getting abandoned apps that you may have paid for or were free to begin with.

2) "fixed versions", ya, again, it's not piracy if you paid for it already or it's a free app. Again no "wrong" is being done here. Nobody is hurt.

The bottom line is that jailbreaking does not equal piracy, and it's not even required for piracy. Furthermore, piracy enabling apps like Installous have uses that have nothing to do with piracy and can in some use cases actually help developers.

Not only do I have 637 apps, not one of which has been pirated (in any way), but I don't know a single jailbreaker who does pirate beyond the 3 cases (if that) that I mentioned before. The reality of pirating for iOS is that it's really just not worth it for actually direct real pirating of apps to get out of paying for them. Bugs, upgrade problems and so forth just doesn't make it worth most people's interest. The only exception to that (beyond the 3 cases I could think of) is with kids who I can't imagine would be buying apps to begin with.

The best thing that could be done to stop piracy is:
    1) For Apple to allow for a "trial period flag" where developers could set the time period of trial before the app was disabled.
    2) To allow apps to be reverted to previous versions.
    3) To encourage developers not to abandon their apps, but if they do, allow the app to be transferred to a new developer who has purchased (or been given) the rights from the original developer.
  • Reply 80 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

…if it extended beyond trying

Which is defined as being what? It has to be an overarching definition. 

Quote:

…it's not piracy if you paid for it already or it's a free app.

Begging the question of why you'd go through Installous in the first place… 

Quote:

Furthermore, piracy enabling apps like Installous have uses that have nothing to do with piracy and can in some use cases actually help developers.

Enlighten us. What, pray tell, could Installous possibly do to "help developers"?