Connecting to the LiquidMetal website?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

I've been getting these all day today, for nearly all of my applications.

Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 12.57.32 PM.png

Anyone else? Anyone know why? Is Apple just piggybacking bandwidth or something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Is this on the 10.8 Mountain Lion Preview?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Yes, but I can't think of anything OS-specific that would need access to that site. Can you?

I've had, let's see… Safari, AirPort Base Station Assistant, and iMessage ask me for access to it, as well.

And this all started just today.

• Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I've had, I'd say, over 200 requests from various Apple IPs and server names today, across a wide range of both applications and low-level processes.

They must be doing something big on the back end that Little Snitch sees as changes…

• Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

I think that Apple is messing with you. Liquidmetal.com is the Liquidmetal Technologies, Inc. website. It is devoted to information about its alloy. There is no hint that Liquidmetal Technologies has business interests unrelated to the alloy. We can rest assured that Apple will switch to Liquidmetal as the its case material for at least some of its products. Cases do not need network connectivity. Liquidmetal is a miracle material but is not perfect. In particular, its thermal conductivity is less than that the metals, both aluminum and titanium, that Apple used for its cases in the past--and present. It would be foolish to design cases that need to call home to operate properly. Afterall, the Internet is not always available when we need to work.