Facebook iOS integration to be announced at WWDC, report says

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    otterfishotterfish Posts: 45member

Apple have made poor decisions in the past but invariably they come out unscathed. They've learnt their lesson from the HP-branded iPod days.

FaceBook will slide into obscurity after Google wipe them out and Apple will quietly discontinue the integration. http://jeff-with-a-g.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/how-google-saved-privacy-or-how-google.html

• Reply 62 of 80
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

I don't get why people who don't use Facebook, Twitter, etc. have this strange preoccupation with running them down. If you don't want to use them, then don't - but accept that other people do, and that you're not an authority on how other people should conduct themselves socially.

• Reply 63 of 80
    overlordoverlord Posts: 59member
    Stupid feature.

If this was made several years ago, MySpace or Orkut was the choice.

Social networks change... a lot.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

9to5 feels they have a reliable inside on the Facebook integration:

"According to sources familiar with the Facebook integration into iOS 6, the integration will be very similar to Twitter’s integration that launched with iOS 5. The integration’s biggest presence will be in the iOS Photos application. Like you are able to send photos to Twitter from the Photos application, you will be able to post photos to Facebook. A single sign-on section for all Facebook connected applications is present in the iOS 6 system settings application. Like with Twitter, a new “social sheet,” as some people familiar with the matter call it, will appear for an accompanying status message."

"Besides content sharing, Apple is also relying on Facebook for a big new social change for the built-in App Store: a feature called “App Liking.” Discoverability has always been a major downside of the Apple mobile apps market with hundreds-of-thousands of software apps, but Apple will by relying on the world’s largest social network to help fix that problem. Inside individual application pages on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch App Store will be a standard Facebook “Like” button. If a user is logged into Facebook via iOS Settings, these app “Likes” will be sent to their Facebook Timelines. Accompanying status messages will also be an option."

I'll be curious to see what permissions users are granting by allowing Facebook access.

• Reply 65 of 80
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    otterfish wrote: »
    FaceBook will slide into obscurity after Google wipe them out and Apple will quietly discontinue the integration. http://jeff-with-a-g.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/how-google-saved-privacy-or-how-google.html

Great article!
  • Reply 66 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

I don't get why people who don't use Facebook, Twitter, etc. have this strange preoccupation with running them down. If you don't want to use them, then don't - but accept that other people do, and that you're not an authority on how other people should conduct themselves socially.

Its not that people are running it down for no real reason. The fact is (and the whole point of this thread) is that people don't want it integrated into iOS.

• Reply 67 of 80
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I certainly hope Apple doesn't FORCE me to open up a Facebook account or have any of my information being given to Facebook for any reason.  That's all I care about.  I have cancelled my Facebook account and do NOT plan on signing back on, at least until Zuckerberg is off the face of the planet.  I don't want to be any part of helping that guy make more money.

• Reply 68 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

SO many old farts on here afraid of Social Networking.

Well, it's here to stay.  Either evolve or get left behind.

People don't need to have Facebook.  We have email. Email is here to stay, Facebook is just an option.  I know plenty of people with Facebook that don't really use it other than to have links to "Facebook Friends", which really doesn't mean anything, or they post a photo that no one really wants to look at, or make some stupid comment every once in a while.  Other wise they communicate with email and phones, just like before.  I also know people that had Facebook that ended up not really using it and not really needing it.  If your in elementary, high school or college, you might need it just to be accepted by other kids, but it isn't necessary.  Quit peer pressuring people into getting involved with Facebook..

• Reply 69 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I certainly hope Apple doesn't FORCE me to open up a Facebook account or have any of my information being given to Facebook for any reason.

That's illegal and laughable to even suggest.

• Reply 70 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's illegal and laughable to even suggest.

Spotify forces you to have a Facebook account to have a Spotify account.

• Reply 71 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

But a phone cannot force you to have a completely unrelated sociopath networking account to use the phone… 

It cannot happen, it will not happen. It'll be just like Twitter integration is right now.

• Reply 72 of 80

Quote:

But a phone cannot force you to have a completely unrelated sociopath networking account to use the phone… 

It cannot happen, it will not happen. It'll be just like Twitter integration is right now.

I'm not talking about using the phone.  Personally, I don't want it and would rather not have the code there because it takes up room, as little room as it might take.  I don't use Twitter either, I would rather than spend time doing other things that I would use that would make a better user experience than having to waste developer time on something that not all of their users want or need.  There are plenty of things their developers can spend their time on that ALL users can benefit from to make iOS better, like security.

• Reply 73 of 80
    drblank wrote: »
    No it doesn't. I have a spotify premium account and don't have a facebook account.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

I'm not saying that this will happen, but there's the following possible scenario:

1. Social network credentials are introduced as an alternative way to log in while using a device/forum

2. There is a substantial overlap between the social network's subscribers and the forum subscribers/device owners

3. Those who belong to both groups enjoy the ease of using their device/forum with the social networks credentials

4. Social network is legitimized in the eyes of the majority of device owners as the easier and proper way to log in

5. New iterations of the device/forum start to assume that everyone is on the social network too

6. New features are gradually introduced that are only accessible to social network subscribers

7. Everyone else is being told to get with the program

8. Alternative login methods are phased out

9. The Borg wins

So, anyone here on Ai using the "connect with Facebook" button?

• Reply 75 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

So, anyone here on Ai using the "connect with Facebook" button?

We have a "connect with Facebook" button here?

• Reply 76 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Yes sir. Right under your log-in name.

• Reply 77 of 80

I love my extensions.

Screen Shot 2012-06-05 at 11.26.36 AM.png

• Reply 78 of 80
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

I love my extensions.

Screen Shot 2012-06-05 at 11.26.36 AM.png

Extensions have their pluses, I'm sure -- as long as connecting with FB is optional.

It'll go down like this:

"I can't { login to a subforum : post images : see new posts in bold } any more!"

"Use 'connect with FB'."

"I don't have it..."

"Please disable third party extensions first..."

...or something like that...

• Reply 79 of 80

I agree, with everyone who is against this move......this is scary!  Why partner with Facebook after the IPO fiasco.  

Apple will hurt it's brand by associating with Facebook.  

• Reply 80 of 80

Ditto