E3 2012: Microsoft SmartGlass connects Xbox to iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

if this takes off it will add to the commoditization of smartphones that is already starting to happen

this is bad for google and bad for apple

For Android tabs, yes, for Apple, not so much.  Win Phone 8 and RT aren't going to be a sales threat to iOS for at least years (if ever).

Along with MS' forthcoming Office Apps for iPad and other signals emanating from Redmond, this is another signal that MS - as (primarily) a SOFTWARE company is saying, "where we can't beat 'em, we'll join 'em" (and make money on apps plus leverage the platforms where we're leaders, e.g., XBox, Office and corporate serving/communications, e.g., Exchange).  

• Reply 22 of 44
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

oh, please. DLNA is totally lame compared to AirPlay.

• Reply 23 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

oh, please. DLNA is totally lame compared to AirPlay.

sorry. meant as reply to #8 above. this new AI forum setup is backwards. "reply" does not = actually reply.

• Reply 24 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

sorry. meant as reply to #8 above. this new AI forum setup is backwards. "reply" does not = actually reply.

and you can't edit either!

• Reply 25 of 44

MS is admitting it has no complete Windows ecosystem yet, so it has to leverage the much much bigger iOS and Android installed base to make XBox a contender in real life.

essentially, it's a software dongle. load an XBox app, and the use a second MS iOS/Android app to control it. it's hardly a new idea. lots of other devices are doing the same thing in one way or another with special iOS/Android UI apps for them. like the Xfinity app, for good example.

iPhone/touch/iPad users will certainly still find AirPlay + iOS apps + $99 Apple TV a much easier "just works" arrangement. only reason to use the XBox instead is if you are already heavily into it and want to use an XBox app that has no iOS version (very few certainly, since there are far more iOS apps!). that might be a few particular games, but not the unique Kinect ones. and certainly not a mere browser.

Android tho might be ripe for MS' picking. Google TV isn't quite there - yet. but maybe by the time Smartglass is actually released, it will be.

we know already Mountain Lion will bring Screen Mirroring to the desktop. what else Apple intends to expand AirPlay integration we will see next week.

• Reply 26 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    we know already Mountain Lion will bring Screen Mirroring to the desktop. what else Apple intends to expand AirPlay integration we will see next week.

I've been disappointed with ML's AirPlay features. There is no way to send a Safari video to the AppleTV. There is no way to mirror your desktop to the Apple TV. The only app I've seen AirPlay enabled is QuickTime X.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    alfiejr wrote: »
    and you can't edit either!

You can edit your posts. It's the icon with the pencil in it just to the left of the icon with the flag in it at the lower-left corner of your posts.

They do need to get rid of the Reply button in every post, as well as less critical things like the Flag icon for one's posts.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Too late, I was going mad trying to stream and transfer content between Mac, iOS and Xbox360. Just got an AppleTV instead.

As Liam Neeson said in a famous role, "Whatever your original intentions were, you have become, truly lost..."

That about sums up Microsoft. SmartGlass? I thought it was a new touchscreen technology for smartphones.

• Reply 29 of 44
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Minus the hassles of DLNA. I've gotten AirPlay to work pretty quickly. The process to get DLNA working is longer.

Yes, because Apple decided to create their own proprietary version, you have to find a third party program to add DLNA support to the Mac platform. After that, it was pretty much zero work to get my PS3 to connect to the iMac.

• Reply 30 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They do need to get rid of the Reply button in every post, as well as less critical things like the Flag icon for one's posts.

I want the reply button gone, because it does absolutely nothing, the "start a new thread" button gone, because who's the idiot who thought THAT was a good idea, and the margins of every single box on the screen tightened up. For starters.

But the self-report button should stay (not that I think they can even get rid of it, anyway), in case you do accidentally post twice. You can self-report and it can be deleted.

• Reply 31 of 44
    I want the reply button gone, because it does absolutely nothing, the "start a new thread" button gone, because who's the idiot who thought THAT was a good idea, and the margins of every single box on the screen tightened up. For starters.

But the self-report button should stay (not that I think they can even get rid of it, anyway), in case you do accidentally post twice. You can self-report and it can be deleted.

I agree with your comment about the self reply button but I'd ideally like the option to delete my own post within x seconds after posting it.

Going back to the Reply button it's an issue because many posters are not noticing (or understanding) that they are not replying to a particular post despite having clicked the logical REply button from within the post. It's making it hard to follow threads.

PS: I'd also like the email notifications to be more simple. Currently there are three links that are sending you to the same location. Two of them are buttons that are stating diffferent things but they do the same thing. There is even the AppleInsider logo that will send you to the top tier of the forum for no valid reason if you accidentally tap with it your finger in your iPhone Mail app.

PPS: I'd also like the AI logo in the forum to send my back to www.appleinsider.com, not forums.appleinsider.com.

PPPS: All that said, there are many aspects of the forum I do like. The ability to upload images from your machine is nice.
  • Reply 32 of 44

Who me, did I suggest malice?  Aww shucks.  Apple never does anything out of their own (or their partner's) self interest.  Leaving the hive now.

• Reply 33 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry91403 View Post

Who me, did I suggest malice?  Aww shucks.  Apple never does anything out of their own (or their partner's) self interest.  Leaving the hive now.

Bye! Don't let the door hit you where the FUD should have stopped.

• Reply 34 of 44
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    All valid points on the new software from Huddler. I could add a small list of things but believe the developers are full aware of all the issues. One that still annoys me is iOS compatibility; sometimes tapping on reply doesn't work, or you need to tap twice. I also cannot copy text, or select it and choose the 'Define' option.

But I don't think AI reads threads, I might need to send it via email.
  • Reply 35 of 44

Boy, there are some pretty bitter people here.  Why is that?  Why do they attack people they don't know.  It's very rude, ignorant and immature.

• Reply 36 of 44
    ray bartray bart Posts: 91member
    Listen in everyone, I have it on good authority that in the medium term Apple will buy Facebook and Mark Z will become The 21st century heir to Steve Jobs. Apple need someone as hungry and foolish as Mark Z is to what Steve Jobs was. Tim Cook will continue to focus the business while Mark Z will be in charge of new innovations. Anyway for those invited, see you next week at WWDC
  • Reply 37 of 44

Quote:

Boy, there are some pretty bitter people here.  Why is that?  Why do they attack people they don't know.  It's very rude, ignorant and immature.

I thought you were leaving? image

You've stated something more than just an opinion without providing any evidence or proof. It's not unreasonable for us to question it. It's also completely off-topic, so if you want to reopen the discussion on why Apple was blocking Google Voice, feel free to start your own thread. Only you have something previously unknown that has come to light, of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

Listen in everyone, I have it on good authority that in the medium term Apple will buy Facebook and Mark Z will become The 21st century heir to Steve Jobs. Apple need someone as hungry and foolish as Mark Z is to what Steve Jobs was. Tim Cook will continue to focus the business while Mark Z will be in charge of new innovations. Anyway for those invited, see you next week at WWDC

You need to stop this now.

• Reply 38 of 44

Quote:

You've stated something more than just an opinion without providing any evidence or proof.

From TechCrunch - June 27th 2009:

Quote:

Earlier today we learned that Apple had begun to pull all Google Voice-enabled applications from the App Store, citing the fact that they “duplicate features that come with the iPhone”. Now comes even worse news: we’ve learned that Apple has blocked Google’s official Google Voice application itself from the App Store.

From CNET - July 28th 2009:

Quote:

There were a scattering of reports on Monday, and then a Google spokesperson confirmed it: "Apple did not approve the Google Voice application we submitted six weeks ago to the Apple App Store. We will continue to work to bring our services to iPhone users--for example, by taking advantage of advances in mobile browsers."

From Softpedia - August 1st 2009:  

Quote:

Apple has recently blocked Google's Google Voice application from making it into its App Store, while also removing third-party applications related to the service, something that wasn't received too well by iPhone developers, it seems. Following Apple's move, FCC started an investigation on the matter, and asked Apple to explain the circumstances under which it rejected the application, while also petitioning AT&T and Google for more information on the issue.

Quote:

It's also completely off-topic, so if you want to reopen the discussion on why Apple was blocking Google Voice, feel free to start your own thread.

I was being sarcastic and you decided to make it into something more.  But with all sarcasm is truth and I don't think it was off-topic - even though you disagree with the premise.  The notion that Apple might delay an application that threatens them (or their strategic partner(s)) is not irrational and well documented.

I should have taken this to heart...

...before posting here.

*sigh*

• Reply 39 of 44

Quote:

From TechCrunch - June 27th 2009:

From CNET - July 28th 2009:

From Softpedia - August 1st 2009:  

None of those says anything about malicious intent.

Quote:

I was being sarcastic and you decided to make it into something more.

No, you were being purposely inflammatory and I decided to be the quick foaming action.

• Reply 40 of 44

You said something about malicious intent.  Why does it matter?  I don't really care about any of this.  I was being sarcastic.  I'm not invested in any of it.  What is the problem?  This is not a zero sum game. It's an open forum where anyone can say whatever they want. 

I can go on any post and write whatever I want as long as I don't intentionally offend anyone.  You seem to be intent on policing other people's thoughts.

You're just upset that I backed-up my point.  Let's just agree to disagree.  It was SARCASM.