E3 2012: Microsoft SmartGlass connects Xbox to iPhone, iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry91403 View Post

You said something about malicious intent.  Why does it matter?

Because it was your entire point.

Quote:

It's an open forum where anyone can say whatever they want.  

No. It's the exact opposite of that.

• Reply 42 of 44
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

MS is admitting it has no complete Windows ecosystem yet, so it has to leverage the much much bigger iOS and Android installed base to make XBox a contender in real life.

essentially, it's a software dongle. load an XBox app, and the use a second MS iOS/Android app to control it. it's hardly a new idea. lots of other devices are doing the same thing in one way or another with special iOS/Android UI apps for them. like the Xfinity app, for good example.

iPhone/touch/iPad users will certainly still find AirPlay + iOS apps + $99 Apple TV a much easier "just works" arrangement. only reason to use the XBox instead is if you are already heavily into it and want to use an XBox app that has no iOS version (very few certainly, since there are far more iOS apps!). that might be a few particular games, but not the unique Kinect ones. and certainly not a mere browser.

Android tho might be ripe for MS' picking. Google TV isn't quite there - yet. but maybe by the time Smartglass is actually released, it will be.

we know already Mountain Lion will bring Screen Mirroring to the desktop. what else Apple intends to expand AirPlay integration we will see next week.

If you just focus on streaming content to a TV via Xbox as all this is doing then its semi admitting they have no ecosystem. But lets face it the streaming to Xbox is kinda the second function rather than the primary point. What there really doing is making the next Wii look like a waste of money. Why buy the new Wii when the Xbox is going to do the same thing with any tablet?

I'd say the second point is also the browser rather than streaming content from a tablet. When your in the lounge looking something up in a group, currently an iPad isn't great for everyone else to view. It's great for using on the sofa, rather than trying to control a browser on a TV with a mouse and keyboard. So putting the two together makes a lot of sense.

Lastly straming content from a PC or Laptop makes a lot of sense, and as a lot of people have an Xbox this will be perfect for a lot of people. Streaming content from a tablet however I will never understand. It's a great bit of tech with the iPad and Apple TV. But seriously, my iPad as 1 Gig remaining and not 1 video on it! Who has any space on their iPad to keep videos? It doesn't make any sense, the hard drives are way to small and any space you have left over after apps and magazines is taken up by music. Not a video that you may watch in the future. 

• Reply 43 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it was your entire point.

No. It's the exact opposite of that.

My point had nothing to do with malice.  MY point was sarcasm.  YOUR assumption was malice.  If you don't want people to express themselves, turn off commenting.  Otherwise - be more accepting of other points of view.

• Reply 44 of 44
    ray bartray bart Posts: 91member
    Be very careful what you call me. You have no right to insult me. Apologize now!