Apple airs new MacBook Pro ad as shipping estimates rise to 3-4 weeks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

I'm surprised that Apple has such short supply on these items. Seems that interest is more than they anticipated.

Well, it's a $3,000 laptop. They didn't expect to be selling so many $3,000 laptops right away. Who would ever pay $3,000 for a laptop?

• Reply 22 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not going to run you into financial trouble, is it? MacBook Pros are fairly expensive computers anyway. If I were to buy one, I would expect it to serve me well for many years.

At any rate, I'd say wait until you can see one in person before buying. Its main draw, I think, is the screen, so that may be the deciding factor.

No, I wouldn't be asking if that were the case. I've been "saving my pennies" for a new MacBook for a while now so now its just a matter of deciding on how much I actually want to spend. I've been using my 4,1 since 2008 and just finally updated to Lion about a month or two ago so... you can see I don't hop on new technology right away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The Air is awesome, and with the 512GB SSD and Core i7, it's actually practical for use as a primary laptop.

Buy it.

The more I look at the Air, the more appealing it is. I just graduated from college and I'll be pretty transient for some time so portability is definitely a big plus. I've been using a 13" MacBook for a while and always felt I would benefit from a larger screen and that's why I was crossing my fingers for something between a 15" Air and the 15" MacBook Pro. But, the more I think about it, I don't know if I need a bigger screen and the Retina display pushes the price to the extreme. The 13" got me through college and I don't see myself writing research papers or working on complex problems nearly as much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Determine where you will be using the unit. I gave up on the 15" MBP's because I travel a lot and the 13" MBA was fast enough for me. I'll never go back--the Air is so portable it's a joy. 

So you gave up on the 15" solely for travel convenience? And downsizing hasn't bugged you at all?

---------

My plan is to maximize my value by using my education discount and the 5% ShopDiscover discount. Has anyone [recently] been able to combine both discounts? I found forum threads from several years ago but nothing too recent.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I've been following this website for several months now but this was my first post so it's nice to see how helpful everyone is. 

• Reply 23 of 48
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not going to run you into financial trouble, is it? MacBook Pros are fairly expensive computers anyway. If I were to buy one, I would expect it to serve me well for many years.

At any rate, I'd say wait until you can see one in person before buying. Its main draw, I think, is the screen, so that may be the deciding factor.

The ad makes me want one, but this is sound advice.

• Reply 24 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

So you gave up on the 15" solely for travel convenience? And downsizing hasn't bugged you at all?

I'll let the poster you responded to answer this question for himself (or herself), but speaking for myself, I can say that the 13" Air is an absolute pleasure to travel with, mainly due to the weight and astonishing battery life. And the 13" screen has the same resolution as the 15" screen, so technically, it displays exactly the same information, but at a mildly higher density. The downsizing hasn't bugged me; it's delighted me.

• Reply 25 of 48

You spent only 1100 for a 15" Pro in 2010? Really? The non-Retina 15" pRO is 1800. And Apple prices typically don't go up for same products.

• Reply 26 of 48

duplicate

• Reply 27 of 48
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member

>I probably should have but I'm a see it and try it first before buying kind of person..

Me too, mostly.  But not with Apple.  With Apple, I dive into the pool blindfolded without checking to see if there's water below image

Ordered it this morning fully expecting the usual v1.0 issues, but have lived through plenty of them before.  If it doesn't work well with Lion, well, there's always Mountain Lion right around the corner :-)

• Reply 28 of 48

Won my hockey pool at work (Thank-you Jonathan Quick) and I need a new work computer. Convinced my boss to use my pool winnings instead to upgrade me from a PC to the MBPR with the ram bumped to 16GB. Can't wait!

• Reply 29 of 48
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member

> Won my hockey pool at work...

Haha.  Well played!  Apple will beat M$ in the enterprise by hook or by crook :-)

• Reply 30 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by qo_ View Post

> Won my hockey pool at work...

Haha.  Well played!  Apple will beat M$ in the enterprise by hook or by crook :-)

I work from a home office so really the computer will be all mine :)

• Reply 31 of 48
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    3-4 weeks huh? I'm glad I got my order in when it had just started showing 2-3 weeks, up from 5-7 business days. My local Apple store - well, one of the many in L.A. - still hasn't gotten any Retina MBPs. I called a few others yesterday and same result. It feels as though I'm standing in line for a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Sometimes you can luck out and just walk in to the Apple Store and pick something up, that thousands of people before you still have on preorder. I have done it before, just go in the morning when the new stock comes in.

• Reply 33 of 48
    gatortpkgatortpk Posts: 33member
    bryanyc1 wrote: »
    Have you seen the display?  I'm betting not.  I saw it today and its drop dead, and this from a guy who only uses matte screens like on my 2010 macbook pro.  If you see the screen, thats it.  They got that right.

That's what I want to hear! I love my matte display on my old MacBook Pro. Does the new display, even as glossy, still reflect as little light as a matte finish, as I've read? That would be fantastic. I love my new iPad, but I don't like the way I can use it as a mirror.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,336member
    briancpa wrote: »
    So... I've been waiting until now to upgrade from my 4,1 MacBook because I thought a bunch of thin MacBooks were being announced yesterday. Is it impractical to spend $2,000+ on the Retina MacBook if I don't plan on editing movies or working a lot with photos? I'm trying to justify spending the extra money but I don't know if I can!

If I don't go Retina, I'm thinking about going with the 13" Air. 

Thoughts?

Have you seen the retina display on the new iPad? I find that it is even more noticeable for reading text than for video and pictures. And I presume you do read:-)
  • Reply 35 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    briancpa wrote: »
    So... I've been waiting until now to upgrade from my 4,1 MacBook because I thought a bunch of thin MacBooks were being announced yesterday. Is it impractical to spend $2,000+ on the Retina MacBook if I don't plan on editing movies or working a lot with photos? I'm trying to justify spending the extra money but I don't know if I can!

Thoughts?

Get an Air.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ireland wrote: »
    Get an Air.

The guy says he's editing a lot of videos and photos. The MBP will be roughly twice as fast for those applications. In addition, the 16 GB RAM maximum would be helpful. I'd definitely go with the Pro.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    "Shipping today" ... Translation, "we made ten in secret, the production starts tomorrow for the rest ... How else can we keep this stuff secret?"/wink
  • Reply 38 of 48
    mariozmarioz Posts: 3member
    Today I read on my order status: preparing for shipment. It means tomorrow the are going to ship. I ordered monday evening (my evening as I live in Italy) so it looks faster that the scheduled 5-7 days :-)

Better
  • Reply 39 of 48
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 975member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Thoughts?

I'm in a similar quandry because I wanted a retina MBA and though the update is nice I can just see myself being disappointed in the screen after having seen the "amazing" retina display in the 15" Pro.  I have a Mac Pro so I don't need the power of quad-cores and powerful graphics in a laptop, just something for writing and surfing on the couch and out in cafes.

Since I'm in no particular rush, I've resolved to wait until Apple completes its next-generation portable lineup by adding 13" and 17" models and then I'll get a 13" retina MBP.  This is bound to happen, it's just that Apple has a history of releasing the 15" first and following with other models as it did with the original PowerBook G4s and MacBook Pros.  They do this for clever (albeit frustrating) marketing reasons.

• Reply 40 of 48
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 975member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The guy says he's editing a lot of videos and photos. The MBP will be roughly twice as fast for those applications. In addition, the 16 GB RAM maximum would be helpful. I'd definitely go with the Pro.

Except BrianCPA actually said he doesn't plan on editing movies or working a lot with photos.

:D