Apple seeks '.apple' domain suffix for websites

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,305member

maybe they could auction off suffixes and use the money to bail out spain (greece doesn't deserve it, but I feel bad for the spanish)

• Reply 42 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    blastdoor wrote: »
    maybe they could auction off suffixes and use the money to bail out spain (greece doesn't deserve it, but I feel bad for the spanish)

Spain goes bankrupt, Apple buys Spain, Portugal throws their hat in, too, and in October…

"Introducing the iBerian peninsula!"
  • Reply 43 of 66
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They don't buy it or own it. If the domain suffix is approved it gets assigned to a registrar and then anyone should be able to register domains with that suffix.  For example Google.apple

There are restrictions on some suffixes such as .mil .gov .edu so .apple could potentially be restricted to Apple, Inc. but that would set an entirely new precedence. 

Not really.  Countries have been able to control what registrars are allowed to sell their domain names for some time.  Some countries have only one registrar and they can pretty much control who can and cannot purchase domain names in that specific top-level domain.  So top-level domains associated with companies could be controlled much like the top-level domains of countries.

EDIT:

In fact, I would go so far to say that is the whole point: to allow a company with plenty of money to purchase it's own top-level domain that they control.  Ultimately the company COULD choose to sell domain names to anyone, but I seriously doubt many will (unless there's going to be  .godaddy ...god forbid).

• Reply 44 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

And if a group representing broader interests applied for it, like the Apple Grow's Federation of Europe, then they would get it above both apple music and apple computers (although if they even exist I doubt they would have enough money).

I was always under the impression that was the purpose of TLD. Broader interests, not specific companies. I could see owning mstone.apple and post a personal blog about Apple products but I'm not in favor of all .apple domains being owned by Apple, Inc.

• Reply 45 of 66
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I'm proposing .meh

brilliant.meh

• Reply 46 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Not really.  Countries have been able to control what registrars are allowed to sell their domain names for some time.  Some countries have only one registrar and they can pretty much control who can and cannot purchase domain names in that specific top-level domain.  So top-level domains associated with companies could be controlled much like the top-level domains of countries.

EDIT:

In fact, I would go so far to say that is the whole point: to allow a company with plenty of money to purchase it's own top-level domain that they control.  Ultimately the company COULD choose to sell domain names to anyone, but I seriously doubt many will (unless there's going to be  .godaddy ...god forbid).

Yes the bit about the countries is true however to my knowledge none have ever restricted who could register a domain with that suffix. Some countries have even sold the rights to their TLD such as .ws but still anyone can register a domain with that suffix.

If there was a .apple domain it should be used like any other specialized domain like.biz or .xxx. .apple should be for domains regarding Apple or maybe also growing real apples not about Apple controlling a TLD for their own commercial purposes. The word apple is just too generic to be sold to one company in my opinion.

• Reply 47 of 66

Does it matter? 99% of the pages I go to are by clicking a link. Even if I sort of know the URL, I put the company name in the search bar and click the search result. :-)

All I wonder is if Apple will be bringing back user web space as part of the cloud accounts, and we can have a personal *.apple page. I'd buy that for a dollar.

• Reply 48 of 66
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

For the average person. this is going to make things very confusing.

• Reply 49 of 66
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member

the opportunities to register a new gtld, .apple or whatever, are expensive for a reason

it's not simply a matter of registering the name, it's becoming a registry and running that domain, you have to build  and operate the internet infrastructure to manage that gtld (probably you can subcontract the job), this is a serious undertaking, and the application process is rightly tough, have a look at the rules for submission

icann has to then assess each application in depth, that's not a trivial process, nor a cheap one

but the icann fee is a drop in the ocean in comparison to what it will cost to apply for, create and operate a gtld

once an entity has got its gtld, it gets to say who can register under it, in the case of .apple i can't imagine apple allowing anyone else to register under it (barring its own subletting username.my.fluffy.icloud.apple for instance)

others might register a gtld on the basis that they plan to make money by letting in other approved subdomains to the club, hsbc.bank, citi.bank, etc. etc., some people think .bank would somehow be more secure than bank.com, but of course it wouldn't

personally i dislike this, dramatically expanding the number of entities responsible for the infrastructure seems like a good way to increase risk of disruption through error/failure, let alone deliberate acts - remember china telecom's, er, it was accidental, honest, bgp table spinning a couple of years back?

imho gtlds are not needed, other than pandering to vanity, they just increase risk

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes the bit about the countries is true however to my knowledge none have ever restricted who could register a domain with that suffix. Some countries have even sold the rights to their TLD such as .ws but still anyone can register a domain with that suffix.

If there was a .apple domain it should be used like any other specialized domain like.biz or .xxx. .apple should be for domains regarding Apple or maybe also growing real apples not about Apple controlling a TLD for their own commercial purposes. The word apple is just too generic to be sold to one company in my opinion.

restrictions are extremely common at the country tld, try getting your own beer.uk added, mortsubite.be, or bier.de etc., and one step down .gov.*, among others, is usually restricted as well

• Reply 50 of 66
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

i propose .WTF that will have a nice ring to many websites too bad I do not have $186K to make the proposal.

That one's almost good enough to try raising the money for…!

I suppose we should also try for .wth, .omg, and .lol, no? :)

• Reply 51 of 66
    kavokkavok Posts: 51member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

That one's almost good enough to try raising the money for…!

I suppose we should also try for .wth, .omg, and .lol, no? :)

Actually .lol has already been applied for.

• Reply 52 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by umumum View Post

restrictions are extremely common at the country tld, try getting your own beer.uk added, mortsubite.be, or bier.de etc., and one step down .gov.*, among others, is usually restricted as well

I mentioned the .gov .mil .edu as being restricted for obvious reasons in an earlier post as well.

As I recall we had to register our domain as .co.uk for some reason but the final suffix is still .uk

• Reply 53 of 66
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    [LIST]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [/LIST]
    This is a very bad idea. Commercializing TLDs is a compromise of the neutrality of the Internet. The level playing field that exists with yourname.com being equal to apple.com will change, and only those who can afford $185k plus actual registrar maintenance will be held above the .com plateau. Bad bad bad.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Not a fan of any of this.

I don't see why.
    $185,000 per proposal?

Now I know the real reason for all of this.

It's not just a domain, it's a top level domain. .com as a TLD is probably worth many millions.
    malax wrote: »
    Aren't you one of the bosses around here?  "Global Moderators" don't get any say in the system that's used?

Not really.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddy View Post

That's not going to work for companies that have branding that is strongly tied to the Internet.  Lots of companies buy up multiple TLD names because they want to protect their brand name - something they have the right to do from counterfeiters or people who wish to use their name for harm.  Since anybody anywhere can register a domain name, its often impractical to do anything except take a preventative measure. 

This is where the whole system falls down because you end up with companies buying up all the options surrounding their name and then not using them. Surely there must be a better way to police this.

Honestly it's a nightmare starting a business now. I've started a number of companies and had to change the company name to fit with what domain name I could get rather than the business name I wanted, simply because someone with a totally different business in a different city or country has bought up all the domain combinations or they've been bought by cyber squatters so they can sell them on for a significant profit.

I don't know the answer but there has to be a better way.

• Reply 56 of 66
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    _NOW THIS_ is what I call Internet 2.0!

I mean it's 1995 all over again... I happen to remember the great domain name rush ... It was only 15 or 20 bucks iirc... Well the ICAN said CRAP we've all but exhausted all the good and even not so good names and we got nuttin else to sell.. Until they started reminiscing about all the big bucks ppl paid for good .com names and they saw next to nuttin... Well now the ICAN is taking the gloves off and slightly bumping up the fees to start this all over again!

We common folk are left out this time around... With 185k per TLD I'd only expect the high rolling gambler dive in ... Oh and of course the megacongloms that we've all given our money to in one way or another.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why's that? (I know nothing of this stuff)

Sounds like this is perfect for preventing fraud. You KNOW you're going to Amazon because the site ends in .amazon. You know you're going to Apple because the site ends in .apple, etc.

P.S. OH GREAT. The reply feature doesn't work properly with DP4. Can't wait for Mountain Lion to come out and everyone here to have a WORSE posting experience.

… Where're the emotions? I can't even get to our one working emoticon to end that line…

Basically, you're created an economy where big companies that can afford to create TLDs have an online presence where "you kow you're going to ThisCompany because the site ends in ThisCompany".

Other companies will have to follow "normal" rules. Meh. One rule for everyone would be so much better.

How about .WTO, where every multinational can buy like "apple.wto", smaller companies buying comp.us, comp.de, comp.uk etc, on a need basis?

Sure thing is, i don't like the current "idea", as it's been said it looks like a money grab from registrars that will end up in confusion for the general public.

• Reply 58 of 66
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

This is where the whole system falls down because you end up with companies buying up all the options surrounding their name and then not using them. Surely there must be a better way to police this.

Honestly it's a nightmare starting a business now. I've started a number of companies and had to change the company name to fit with what domain name I could get rather than the business name I wanted, simply because someone with a totally different business in a different city or country has bought up all the domain combinations or they've been bought by cyber squatters so they can sell them on for a significant profit.

I don't know the answer but there has to be a better way.

Tax? If you put a massive tax on domains in the country of residence of the company, just as there happens to be a tax in some countries on the buildings used by the company, multiple domain squatting becomes much harder. You can make it scaling and based on revenue, just like buildings taxes are.

Under a certain revenue, small tax, over a certain revenue, full tax. Small businesses only need one domain anyway ;)

And it brings taxes to reduce public deficit ;)

• Reply 59 of 66
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

(See below)

• Reply 60 of 66
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Spain goes bankrupt, Apple buys Spain, Portugal throws their hat in, too, and in October…

"Introducing the iBerian peninsula!"

Yeah .greece is on sale. Except, no one wants to buy it.

.balearic will be cool for fans of that music genre.

Heck, why not have it so you can .anything?

Honestly, if you think about it, there is no reason for TLD being what they are.

If the Internetz peoplez in charge were smart, you can just open up everything to anything. 

I mean, goo.gl and bit.ly make no sense anyway, why not just have 

.whateveryouwanted?

This is an important point, I feel. Because let's say you want to go to even apple, for example.

You type apple.com or apple.co.uk or apple.com.au or whatever. 

But at the end of the day, if a big company has that global brand, then fighting with them is pointless.

But if you re-engineer the domain name system, then you can have

usa.apple

au.apple

uk.apple

So, all someone has to do is put in ".apple" or "usa.apple" into their browser. 

All browsers have new features now anyway you could just type in "apple" and in the future that would automatically go to .apple.

Think about how amazing this would be for the Internet, if everyone just had a .myname domain.

There's so much domain name spam anyway on .com alone, the .com is pointless.

supercoolgooddeals.com

tightbunniesinhoney.com

somestupidname.com

somestupidspellingerrorexploitation.com

Given that .com itself has become meaningless, why bother with .com at all? 

Again, if you need country designation, put it at the ~start~, not at the ~end~, as I mention above.