Microsoft's 'major' June 18 event said to showcase Windows RT tablets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boojoo007 View Post

wonder what they will copy from apple this time.

Well, the secrecy for starters. Media event, nobody knows what it'll be... That's a bit Apple ain't it? But the GUI is not copied at least.

• Reply 22 of 84
    There are a lot of network managers out there who have been stalling over iPads like crazy, waiting for these tablets to arrive. Being Windows based, they can lock them down so tight on data protection ground and to prevent inappropriate communication, that they can render the real versatility of a Window 8 tablet next to useless. Hang on thats not the same as Windows RT isn't it.

We do need to worry about the Windows 8 based tablet because, if the hype is to be believed, it's good....luckily we can rely on the Windows RT confusion and network managers to render them disappointing and useless.

I'm not even sure Microsoft is targeting enterprise users with Windows RT. The whole thing seems intended to save Windows from consumer irrelevance.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    boojoo007 wrote: »
    wonder what they will copy from apple this time.

It'd be easier to list what they won't copy.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,104member

Yawn

Because Windows Phone has done so well.  We'll all know by end of the year.  If they do not have meaningful traction by December, this effort is dead.  By January, everyone will be focused on the next new iPad launch.  And Apple will lower prices on the existing models.  And the hammer comes down...  

• Reply 25 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It'd be easier to list what they won't copy.

Usability, proper scrolling, upgradability… :lol:
  • Reply 26 of 84

There is a lot to like in Windows 8. I left my iPad in the draw for a week as a bit of challenge and, well, lets put it this way, I genuinely believe iOS has more to learn from Win8 than Win8 has to learn from iOS.

Who else has tried the preview releases? Or are you just making judgement based on pictures and videos? :D

Not meaning to flame or anything :)

Peace

• Reply 27 of 84
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Remember when XP came out, the popular sentiment was that Fisher-Price had infiltrated their design team?

This time, it looks like Duplo got the invite.

Pretty soon, they're going to run out of things to regress to.

Instead of rectangles they could do ovals. I always thought that the designer of the late 90s Ford Taurus, which was all ovoid, had grown up with a Lava Lamp in his bedroom.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

Window8mexico.jpg

• Reply 29 of 84

Because they have no taste?

• Reply 30 of 84
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    <vc><strong>
    He said that a total of seven ARM-based Windows RT devices will be available at launch this October.

Sigh. No one is even interested in ONE good Windows tablet. I'm betting they can't even make ONE good tablet. What's it gonna be like when they spread everything they thought of out over 7 products?
  • Reply 31 of 84
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Remember when XP came out, the popular sentiment was that Fisher-Price had infiltrated their design team?

This time, it looks like Duplo got the invite.

Pretty soon, they're going to run out of things to regress to.

MyFirstWindows8.png

• Reply 32 of 84
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member

Another one that is too late for tablet market. Everybody is too late to compete with Apple. In some ways that is sad, the good thing is Apple doesn't sleep in front of its competitors, but is always important to have a menace. That's the good thing of having Android out there, that it drives Apple's spirit.

Microsoft aren't the iPad killers. Nobody is. Everybody wants an iPad. It has become the word to describe a tablet. No one can take that away from them. The developer community have a consumer ecosystem. There are apps for almost everything.

Too late...

• Reply 33 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Sigh. No one is even interested in ONE good Windows tablet. I'm betting they can't even make ONE good tablet. What's it gonna be like when they spread everything they thought of out over 7 products?

How you get 7 I don't know.

Apple has like 30

WiFi + Cellular + Verizon + AT&T + Black + White + 16GB + 32GB + 64GB

• Reply 34 of 84
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Then buy a Windows 8 - based tablet that uses an i5/i7 CPU instead. Then you DO have the killer device you mentioned. 

Those same consumers that you mentioned would be just as confused with the continuing fragmentation of capabilities across iOS devices. [Facetime over 3g only works on iPhone 4S model, not the iPhone 4. Don't forget the lack of Siri on the iPhone 4 even though it even worked on the 3GS before Apple bought the tech - cough BS....] 

I

I doubt that.  Don't all the Windows fanboys complain how Apple is constantly selling overpriced stuff to gullible masses?

Ergo, those who can't get it on their two-year-old out-of-fashion device will just run out and buy the latest.  Problem?

• Reply 35 of 84
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member

...also

I think, that interface looks cool ...for 5 minutes.

Everybody could be tired very fast of those boring tiles. It certainly looks informative, but most people would like to keep those things more private (like the notification previews of iOS 5. I don't want anybody besides me reading the first line of my emails o my iMessages. Who knows when you are waiting something very personal or in terms of work, things that other employees shouldn't be aware of).

I think people don't want to look banners all day.

Also, there's a lot of screen wasted.

• Reply 36 of 84
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

MyFirstWindows8.png

LOL this is actually very well matched.

• Reply 37 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

If MS can keep the price of tablets at $200 they might be able to pull this off. But if they price it comparable to the iPad it will be DOA.

The minimum specs that Microsoft will allow their WRT to run on already precludes a price advantage. 

What I want to know is: Will the fat boy do a monkey dance at this event?

• Reply 38 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Window8mexico.jpg

Engineers as a group have a remarkable lack of taste. While they can appreciate good design, they cannot usually create it.

• Reply 39 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

That color scheme is puke worthy. 

• Reply 40 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

This is Microsoft's attempt to freeze the market just as they did on the old days with vaporware that never made it to market, although these products will eventually arrive. Their real problem is that Apple has not yet announced the updates to the iPhone and iPad which will unlock this market as people tire of waiting for the MS-powered devices to arrive. The biggest loser here could be Sammy who would otherwise look to have the summer to themselves without much "new" competition.

Ah, yes, I remember those 1980 years of MS dominance. The word "vaporware" came about because of MS. 

This time through not many folks are looking to MS to lead. Apple has assumed that position since 2007 and has held on tightly. But I think you may be onto something and MS may not fully realize they have not much relevance outside of the PC market. 

Microsoft is so... last century.