Apple Hating Apple Lovers (huh?)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
One thing I've noticed a lot these days on the tech boards is people who absolutely hate Apple products yet call themselves long-time Apple users with a whole list of random Apple computers. Including ten different iPods, 5 different iPhones with varying capacities and an ImageWriter from the Reagan/Bush era.

The things I have seen these people say only make me think they are like the Jehovah's Witnesses that came to my door one day years ago and were not dissuaded by the very true statements that I was not interested and that I am Jewish.

"Oh really? Shalom, my friend! I had an uncle who was Jewish...his name was Moses."

Are you frackin kidding me? As if I would magically say: "Well ok, I guess since you had a Jewish uncle, I suppose I should take a look at that Watchtower."

Apple haters will go to such extreme lengths as to try to fit in with Apple enthusiasts by making it look like "I had an uncle who had 30 different Apple products and he hated them all. I too have had 30 different Apple products and hate them all. So you should just accept that they suck and go to (or back to) Windows."

Except for the very real fact that these people have never likely touched a Mac or an iPad (possibly beyond using one at an Apple Store/Best Buy) much like the Jehovah's Witness never had a Jewish uncle. They were trained to say it. Like shills.

Why can't we just go back to the days where the MS shills just spouted their FUD garbage about the death of Apple and left it at that? Why do we need supposed long-time Apple users who have seen the light after years of supposed pain and frustration.

"Really? That's 60 different products between you two! Jeez you guys must have fallen hard when you realized Windows was far superior and you blew all that money. I won't make this mistake. I'm getting out now while I still have money left to blow on ten different useless SKUs of Windows installed on cheap hardware that will fail quite often. Thanks guys."

We can see through you people! You aren't fooling anyone. Now go back to championing the idea that Surface Pro with a trackpad leapfrogs everything out there even though technically its a leap backwards compared to everything else that works quite well without one...and does so despite not actually existing. Ugh.

Ok my novel of a rant has concluded.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="carmelapple" url="/t/150872/apple-hating-apple-lovers-huh#post_2133346"]One thing I've noticed a lot these days on the tech boards is people who absolutely hate Apple products yet call themselves long-time Apple users with a whole list of random Apple computers. Including ten different iPods, 5 different iPhones with varying capacities and an ImageWriter from the Reagan/Bush era. [/QUOTE]

Yep, they're called 'trolls'. The ones that aren't any good at what they do start their posts with "I'm an Apple fan, but…" or something incredibly similar. If their posts don't start like that, they end with it, or at the very least, as you said, a list of the hardware they "own". These people are trolls 99.9% of the time. Occasionally you'll get someone with a legitimate question doing that, so don't immediately assume. But definitely be skeptical.

Ignore trolls or report them if you feel they're being purposely disruptive.

[QUOTE]Why can't we just go back to the days where the MS shills just spouted their FUD garbage about the death of Apple and left it at that? Why do we need supposed long-time Apple users who have seen the light after years of supposed pain and frustration.[/QUOTE]

Because [I]those[/I] trolls are too easy to spot and ban immediately. They've all gotten marginally smarter over the years. :lol:

The worst are those that masquerade as legitimate users and build up posts before throwing in their "opinions".

And then you get the psychopaths that keep creating new accounts when we ban their old ones.

I guess on the scale from least to greatest effort (and funniest to most pathetic), you get this:

1. Open contempt for Apple (slapppy).
    2. Announcing fandom (where they say in the post itself they're "an Apple fan").
    3. Built-up account (a few regular posts before throwing in nothing but anti-Apple opinions).
    4. Poes.
    4.1. Multi-account creators (any of the above four can also do this).

The worst part of the whole thing is when you go to an Android forum and see no posts praising Apple. It's just sad what they think they have to do, you know?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Oh, I'm well aware of the proper term for these people in regards to a message board. I guess it just hadn't dawned on me that these people actually existed. I know I've seen countless posts over the years by people like this but it just struck me how many I saw this morning that I had to say something in the hopes that I wasn't alone in my realization. Thank you for confirming my fears. Sadly.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I guess it just hadn't dawned on me that these people actually existed.

I like to think they don't. I like to think they're all at least being paid to do this, which makes it less depressing than someone doing this of his own volition.
  • Reply 4 of 4

•  

423 comments?  You AAPL people must be pretty upset right about now. 

I'm going to be the voice of reason here and say from what I've seen, this blows away the iPad from every software and hardware point I can think of.  The only advantage Apple holds is number of apps.  Microsoft did some serious innovation here.  I think this will be my first tablet.

iPhone 4 , iMac 27, iPhone 3G, PowerMac 6100, Apple //c. Who wants some FaceTime?

I mean ok...you can definitely like both platforms or prefer one but admire things about the other, but really?! Enjoy your new Surface, my friend. L'chaim! Add it to the long and distinguished list of non-owned (thus nonexistent) Apple products in your sig. Get it? Cause it too doesn't exist! Yay!