iOS 6 beta for Apple TV allows customizable app icon layouts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Roku have what, 500 channels now? Admittedly the majority are insane religious channels for the mentally ill, but amongst the sewage there are some great channels too. Apple need to stop messing around and bring apps to the ATV, it's been far too long.

• Reply 22 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes, but, isn't that hard-drive in the current Apple TVs used to buffer video content and not store apps? If so, they cannot simply add an App Store to the Apple TV box. Besides, if they do and they ever release an actual TV it'll be one more reason not to get one. I figure that will be one of the differentiators between Apple TV and iTV - an App Store. It'll be iTVs main selling point; "it can double as a games console and many other things!"

There is 8gb of flash in the ATV, and you don't need anywhere near that amount for streaming. Video apps tend to be tiny, as an example, Netflix for iOS is a mere 18mb.

• Reply 23 of 31
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    No argument from me but let's be honest; there are about 12 decent channels. Virtually all those channels are available for the iPad or iPhone although I would prefer native apps to AirPlay streaming.
    The real killer app for Roku is Hulu.
    AppleTV has Netflix just like Roku.
    Amazon Prime on Roku isn't much different than iTunes on AppleTV.
    We played Angry Birds a few times on Roku but my children like Minecraft, Roboblox and World of Warcraft on the big screen (Huzzah! OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) since that is what their friends play.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Does anyone know if you can do the rearranging via the iTunes app like you can with iDevice home screens?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member

SAY NO TO ATV APPS!!!

Sorry but it's the wrong way to go. TV is meant to be simple/consistent and an app-for-every-network is the wrong way.  Keep the media delivery consistent and pack content through it or even create defined media channel types (for sports + stats vs movies + subtitles vs cooking + recipes etc.). 

Keep the intellience on the super-interative controller in your hand and dumb down the panel/stb.  AirPlay isn't the final solution but gives us a hint.  Get the remote to set up the media and let the ATV stream direct from the source.

Loads of work to do Apple but we don't need an Apple-branded Boxee.

McD

• Reply 26 of 31
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    [quote] Apple must realize they would sell more AppleTVs than iPads or iPhones if they had:
    Apple A5 dual-core CPU (ARM Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX 543MP4) with 16 GB SSD
    iCloud integration (Calendars, Contacts, Find my iPhone, Mail, Notes, Reminders)
    Siri voice navigation (television mutes when Siri is invoked)
    Optional $50 ergonomic gaming remote with 3 axis accelerometer
    Apps, Apps, Apps
    I believe the above is feasible for $200 and would sell faster than any consumer electronics device in history.
    [/quote]

Agreed. Now that wii u is about to price/complicate itself out of the casual market a gap is about to open up in the gaming market for a low cost iPhone like tv gaming console that supports a decent physical controller, effortless purchases, updates and iOS pricing. Touch controls have progressed gaming, but software controls are not so good if they mean you have to look away from the TV screen.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    ireland wrote: »
    Yes, but, isn't that hard-drive in the current Apple TVs used to buffer video content and not store apps? If so, they cannot simply add an App Store to the Apple TV box. Besides, if they do and they ever release an actual TV it'll be one more reason not to get one. I figure that will be one of the differentiators between Apple TV and iTV - an App Store. It'll be iTVs main selling point; "it can double as a games console and many other things!"

AppleTV has 8GB of flash storage, yes, ostensibly for buffering. But that's a lot, and I don't see why there isn't enough room for apps. I think the sum of apps on my iOS devices run about 2GB total storage, and I think it's five apps that I don't need that make up the most of it.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    dunks wrote: »
    Agreed. Now that wii u is about to price/complicate itself out of the casual market a gap is about to open up in the gaming market for a low cost iPhone like tv gaming console that supports a decent physical controller, effortless purchases, updates and iOS pricing. Touch controls have progressed gaming, but software controls are not so good if they mean you have to look away from the TV screen.

The thing is that although AppleTV is considered a casual gaming platform, the graphics Apple iPad (PowerVR SGX543MP4) are rapidly approaching Sony Playstation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 in quality.
  • Reply 29 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The only issue with AppleTV now is AirPlay. AirPlay demonstrates considerable lag when hosting multi-player gaming and streaming content to a AppleTV connected television for high-end games.

Are you experiencing problems here? With which games?

My experience is that it runs close to lag-free with for example Real Racing 2 HD. The major problem is that the frame rate seems to be slightly too low, possibly due to limitations of the current N WiFi standard. I'm using the TimeCapsule for WiFi.

However, in my book Apple needs AC WiFi before they release an actual TV. That is one of the enablers of a true AirPlay-driven wireless platform.

• Reply 30 of 31
    mrialmrial Posts: 10member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Sjofors View Post

What is really needed is a search function where you can connect a wireless keyboard and mouse instead of using the remote. Plus, of source, so many more content sources. 

The remote app for the iPad provides a keyboard for searches.

• Reply 31 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The thing is that although AppleTV is considered a casual gaming platform, the graphics Apple iPad (PowerVR SGX543MP4) are rapidly approaching Sony Playstation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 in quality.

You don't realise how wrong you are with that statement. Even taking the most powerful iOS device as an example (iPad 3) it struggles to push more than 200,000 polys per frame with basic shaders (diff, lightmap, perhaps a few spec maps here and there) at 30fps, and over-draw, and particularly transparencies utterly destroy it's performance. 

Compare that to an Xbox 360 which can push 800,000 polys per frame with complex shaders (diff, spec, norm, incan, AO, lightmap) at 30fps, and still have fillrate to spare for post effects such as FXAA and colour correction, bloom, etc.

The difference is night and day. Just because Infinity Blade manages to render a couple of nice looking characters and has good, if low poly and simply shaded background art doesn't make iOS devices into consoles.