'Google Now' personal assistant represents search giant's answer to Siri

Comments

• Reply 61 of 128
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Interersting... The above video was rigged to highlight Google's advantages (as was the Apple demo of Siri at WWDC).

Most of the requests were for things that could be delivered with [Google] web searches... Maybe even cached...

Odd that they didn't request anything that required specific answers ala Wolfram...

Or involved maps...

Or played music...

Or ran apps...

...maybe Google Now can't do these things?

I am sure Google Now will have some issues, but so does Siri. Based on that little side by side comparison Google Now looks pretty damned good. I don't see it as bad that Google, or anybody else ups the ante. Apple made a show of Siri's personality but imo its getting a little tired now. The funny answers are funnier in an obviously artificial voice, but it might be nice to be able to choose. It has always annoyed me the way Siri asks if I want her to search the web. It takes longer to ask that than to just do it. The reporter says that Siri results look better, but I am not sure I agree, I kind of like the 'plain look'. 

Don't get me wrong, Siri is still great, but we all know Siri now. Time to drop the gimmick and focus on improved features and functionality. 

• Reply 62 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I think you are missing the point.  They have a perfect record stealing your data with your permission. Why on earth would a multibillion dollar company give away everything they make.  In each case it give them access to your personal data.  Access to your friends and co-workers.  They know what you do, when and how often.  They even know what your friends do and where they work and anything else they share with you by email.  They don't have to hack you because you trust them. If you have google voice, the calls are automatically transcribed and searched for data to market to you.  Ever wonder why those damn spammer seemed to know everything about you.  Because Google works for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And public transit is actually provided by a number of apps that will be integrating the new maps.  Apple doesn't say it directly but moving away from Google is about more than just the competition.  They actually believe themselves to be stuarts of your data and know who Google really is but knows the public is too blind to see.  So they just do their best to steer clear.

Well yeah. They're a software and advertising company. Of course they have your data.

The evil company is Facebook. They take your data and then won't give it back to you.

I'll always go with the company that offers the superior products / technology.

For phones, that's still Android based phones. Microsoft has lost the battle over what computer I will own and I'm moving to macs.... But to me, Apple has some work to do with iOS

• Reply 63 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I think you are missing the point.  They have a perfect record stealing your data with your permission. Why on earth would a multibillion dollar company give away everything they make.  In each case it give them access to your personal data.  Access to your friends and co-workers.  They know what you do, when and how often.  They even know what your friends do and where they work and anything else they share with you by email.  They don't have to hack you because you trust them. If you have google voice, the calls are automatically transcribed and searched for data to market to you.  Ever wonder why those damn spammer seemed to know everything about you.  Because Google works for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And public transit is actually provided by a number of apps that will be integrating the new maps.  Apple doesn't say it directly but moving away from Google is about more than just the competition.  They actually believe themselves to be stuarts of your data and know who Google really is but knows the public is too blind to see.  So they just do their best to steer clear.

Lets clear this up.

Google provides a service 

In return google gathers data on you in order to:

1. Make money which leads to keeping that service running, improving that service and making a profit for their stock holders (Apple does the same thing with iads just on a much smaller smaller scale)

Google never sells your data to anyone. Goolge finds out information about you when you use their services. Advertisers go to google and say hey I need this advertisement to reach this type of person. Google says okay give me the advertisement and I'll make sure it gets to the right person. Your information never leaves google. If it did google would be out of a business because advertisers would not come back to google for the information google has. 

Google is not evil, Apple is not evil, facebook is not evil. All of them are traded companies trying to make a profit and they all take advantage of the consumer by providing them a service.

• Reply 64 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think they are smarter than to fake the demo. I would give them the benefit of the doubt otherwise they would be shown to be completely incredible within hours since they released it to the devs,

i don't think the vid I was referring to was a Google vid -- rather something prepared by  fan droid.

• Reply 65 of 128
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member
    So I've seen a lot of posts here lately complaining that Google is "spying" on you and that Google knows too much about you.

AppleInsider uses Google Analytics.

Does anyone else see a double standard here?
  • Reply 66 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

So I've seen a lot of posts here lately complaining that Google is "spying" on you and that Google knows too much about you.

AI is the customer.

Google is the vendor.

You are the product.

• Reply 67 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    derekmorr wrote: »

Not when we have no control over AppleInsider, no. That's not how double standards work.

To get away from Google completely, one must stop using the Internet.
  • Reply 68 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You mean like Siri records and stores each of your searches and requests for some unspecified time-frame? Siri is at it's roots a search engine. Like most other search engines it harvests data from both your device and personal search requests to "offer an improved user experience". Google Now is not any different probably

You don't get it do you??  Siri does what it does to improve your experience. YOU are Apple's customer.

Google does what it does because your information is valuable to Google's bottom line. YOU are not Google's customer, Google's advertisers are their customers.

Google includes GPS so they can know where you are - so their closest customers can push messages to you to come in and take advantage of a special, etc. You become a walking patsy in a world full of Google pick-pocketers.

• Reply 69 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

It can, google voice search did those things back in 2009. Its just vastly improved. Siri does understand contextual speech better (more ways to ask siri questions, but google now is not far off). Everything else google now wins flat out. Google now does a better job as getting the information and displaying it and cutting out extra steps siri puts in just to be cute, oh forget about voice dictation google now destroys siri, google now picks up word for word what you say even in loud environments. 

Oh siri sounds more rigid and robot like. Google now sounds more real (I have no idea how google does this, maybe higher pitch? It would be interesting to find out)

one thing siri has an edge with is siri actually pulls date from other applications. I think everything google now does is based of google products, maps, calender, and of course search. 

Keep in mind that with technology there is leap-frogging going on. Of course Google looks good with their latest product when compared to Apple's 8-month-old iOS. It's been this way since the iPhone hit the market. Soon Apple will be looking better, then on and on it goes.

I like the introduction of artificial intelligence that I see with Google and Apple devices. I expect both implementations to be somewhat rough until the programs self-learn enough to be less intrusive and more helpful.

• Reply 70 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You mean like Siri records and stores each of your searches and requests for some unspecified time-frame? Siri is at it's roots a search engine. Like most other search engines it harvests data from both your device and personal search requests to "offer an improved user experience". Google Now is not any different probably

Seriously? You're comparing Apple harvesting data to Google?

Google makes its money harvesting data and then selling that data (refined & broken down as required) to other companies (their paying customers). Apple makes its money selling hardware and content for that hardware. Apple harvests data about users to improve their own products, not to sell to other companies so they can improve theirs.

• Reply 71 of 128

The relationships aren't quite that simple.  Apple sells advertising so it has advertiser customers as well.  More important Google has to make product good enough to induce customers (end users) to buy products that use their operating system.  

As a user of Google services, why do I care if Google sells aggregated information to advertisers?  Or just as interesting uses that information to improve the provision of services to me?

• Reply 72 of 128
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wonder if it will tell you where to eat, on the way.

"You have 15 minutes until the bus comes, just long enough to grab a burger at <insert paid advertisement here>."

Dave: "But I don't like burgers!!" "

Now aka Hal9000: "I'm sorry Dave. You must have a burger, Dave.  You must have one 'Now' Dave!". 

• Reply 73 of 128

Give me a break! There is nothing innovative here. This is just plain old location services with a bit of window dressing. All they do is keep track of where you are then pop up in your face whatever they have in their database near where you happen to be, whether it is the bus station, a restaurant or what have you. No thanks Google. 

Hey, anyone try asking the Google Service questions like "Do I need a raincoat?" Or "How are you today?" I like to see how their service responds to questions that only humans, or Siri, can understand.

• Reply 74 of 128
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    jbfromoz wrote: »
    so Microsoft staged and scripted Surface crashing in their live demo? who'd a thunk it!

I think what you had there was proof Microsoft are so incompetent the couldn't even get something right after scripting and attempting to stage ....
  • Reply 75 of 128
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Keep in mind that with technology there is leap-frogging going on. Of course Google looks good with their latest product when compared to Apple's 8-month-old iOS. It's been this way since the iPhone hit the market. Soon Apple will be looking better, then on and on it goes.

I like the introduction of artificial intelligence that I see with Google and Apple devices. I expect both implementations to be somewhat rough until the programs self-learn enough to be less intrusive and more helpful.

CNN 2050 news reports are coming in that Apple's AI is responding to the Google's AI attack. Multiple drone planes took off from an air force base on the west coast and fired missiles at the Google HQ bunkers. Stay tuned for updates which will be fed to your Apple and Google implants. Admiral Adama has boarded Galactica in preparation for a fleet wide global evacuation if necessary ....
  • Reply 76 of 128
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yeah, good luck with that.

Maybe Google should stop talking about things until they have something to show.

If SJ had said the exact same thing, you'd be hailing the future... It would sound like a SJ thing, really: removing complexity for the user...

• Reply 77 of 128
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

The evil company is Facebook. They take your data and then won't give it back to you.

They sure don't take mine.

• Reply 78 of 128
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Another shitty Google knockoff.

The venom on here for anything developed by anyone but Apple is truly sickening.

Open your eyes, enjoy tech no matter who develops it. There's no joy in being a fanboy, it's just childish and ridiculous.

• Reply 79 of 128
    apoapo Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMeister View Post

Give me a break! There is nothing innovative here. This is just plain old location services with a bit of window dressing. All they do is keep track of where you are then pop up in your face whatever they have in their database near where you happen to be, whether it is the bus station, a restaurant or what have you. No thanks Google. 

Hey, anyone try asking the Google Service questions like "Do I need a raincoat?" Or "How are you today?" I like to see how their service responds to questions that only humans, or Siri, can understand.

I'm affraid that's not Google Now's main goal. You see, it's not made for unnecessary and useless "features", but more for real life helpful features. On top of that, you and I are smart enough to ask directly about the weather instead of asking wether we need a raincoat..

• Reply 80 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member

Related article from AI today:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151000/street-test-measures-siri-comprehension-at-83-accuracy-at-62#post_2136889

And the original Fortune article.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/29/minneapolis-street-test-google-gets-a-b-apples-siri-gets-a-d/

"In order to become a viable mobile search alternative," Munster writes, "Siri must match or surpass Google's accuracy of B+ and move from a grade D to a B or higher."He estimates that Siri is more than two years behind Google in its learning curve, but he's optimistic: "With the iOS 6 release in the fall, we expect Siri to improve meaningfully while reducing its reliance on Google from 60% to 48%."

Given the results, however, it's not clear that reducing Siri's reliance on Google is necessarily a good thing.

Currently Siri gets 60% of its answers from Google, 20% from Yelp, 14% from WolframAlpha, 4% from Yahoo and 2% from Wikipedia.

"Breaking down Siri's reliance further," Munster writes, "Google provides 100% of navigation results, 61% of information results, 48% of commerce results and 42% of local results. Among other result aggregators, Yelp provided the most local results (51%) and commerce results (51%), while WolframAlpha provided 34% of information results."

IMO any search method or program that assists users in finding more relevant answers to queries should be welcomed.